Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I'd be interested to hear from older members, particularly ones who grew up between the wars, or at least during the first half of the last century, about their recollections of attitudes towards masturbation. I grew up during the Sixties and Seventies by which time attitudes, in the UK at least, had become quite liberal. However I gather it wasn't always thus and I'd love to hear from members who recall a different era with, perhaps, different standards.

Last edited:

DAMP1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I can clearly remember going to a catholic retreat that I was talked in to by my best friend (I was 16). My friend was a devout catholic. It lasted 2 days and it was nothing but a lecture about how sinful masturbation is - using our hands caused Jesus more pain while on the cross. Growing up a closeted gay boy, it really did a good job of twisting my thoughts and cultivating the "guilt" feelings - especially when in the confessional the priest asked if I had masturbated and if so, had I ever confessed it in the past (which was an additional sin of omission) and what did I think about while doing it - boys or girls?

tlbuncut5

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was born in 1944, and was told that masterbation would make me go blind, or crazy. Of course my mother was the crazy one. Funny It did not stop me. I think it's kind of funny, now day guys talk openly about it and how much they do it. I was very open about it with my sons, I told them it was a very natural thing, and healthy. ...:smile:

Getting9

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Growing up in the 50s I was told that hair would grow in the palms of my hands and then everyone would be able to see that I had been playing with myself. As soon as a friend told me he had done it and no hair grew on his hands....well that was it. We played with each others.

mandoman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I can clearly remember going to a catholic retreat that I was talked in to by my best friend (I was 16). My friend was a devout catholic. It lasted 2 days and it was nothing but a lecture about how sinful masturbation is - using our hands caused Jesus more pain while on the cross. Growing up a closeted gay boy, it really did a good job of twisting my thoughts and cultivating the "guilt" feelings - especially when in the confessional the priest asked if I had masturbated and if so, had I ever confessed it in the past (which was an additional sin of omission) and what did I think about while doing it - boys or girls?

I had roughly the same experience, though I'm bi, not gay. Didn't matter much, they made you feel guilty about any sexual orientation.
My monsignor would ask detailed questions about what I was masturbating over.
Then he would ask for more details.
I could actually hear his foreskin snapping as he masturbated in the confessional.

One friend asked if masturbation was a sin, when we all got the talk, if you didn't know it was a sin when you were doing it. He is now a monk.