One Year Later.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Dr Rock said:
a good way to get respect would be not to align onesself with jackass politicians in the first place, i'd say.

That certainly remains my opinion of many of our politicians.

I just fret that blanket insults thrown at the opposition will simply result in similar flames being hurled back. That can be briefly entertaining, but in the end, I fear the mudfights will distract from the otherwise interesting discussions in this section of the board and drive some potential participants elsewhere.

SG

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
HappyHammer - we aren't supposed to have nudity in our avatars

DC - No, I haven't read it...it's over 500 pages long. Who has that kind of time? BUT - I have reseached and read views on both sides of it. While I agree that there will be no immediate benefit, nor a positive effect on the prices we pay at the pump, I feel that IF implimented correctly, it will do more good than harm. I don't get my information from just one source...I like to see both sides before making my own conclusion.

Cruz - I'm not "passing the buck" - I'm merely trying to show that the failure of the levees wasn't completely Bush's fault. I have given sources to show that the state and local govt had a hand in the lack of funding, and that even if they were all fully funded they most likely wouldn't have held up to the category 4 hurricane. AND lastly, the actual levee that did break and caused the most flooding was THE ONE that was finished. Let me restate that: The unfunded levees weren't even the ones that caused the most damage. But hey, just ignore the facts and continue to say that it was all Bush's fault if that helps you get through life.

MZ - I'm sure that all politicians are guilty of "shifty reporting measures and report washing" - perhaps Bush more than others, I don't know, but certainly he's not the only one. And the "anyone supporting him is an idiot" comment is just what I was talking about having to constantly defend myself against in an earlier post. Thank you for rephrasing that later.

Shelby - Thank you. I agree, I'm getting quite sick of the Bush bashing, which is a small part of the reason why I'm deciding to leave.

Speedo - Even though I think Clinton did some positive things in his presidency, I still hated Clinton. And I never bashed him as much as I've seen Bush bashers these days. That's just not my MO. I'm sure I'm in the minority though. Oh, and Thanks on the "idiot" comment.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Onslow said:
More stupidity on the part of ignorant liberals who continue to point and blame while offering no real solutions.

And for the record since nobody bothered to tell HappyHammer...Jeb Bush is the governor of the state of Florida.

Are you really Ann Coulter, posting under an assumed name? Just kidding, just kidding....

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just to be fair and balanced (TM), I have to admit - Clinton- or Bush-bashing aside, I usually see a lot more insulting adjectives attached to the word "liberal" than I see attached to "conservative." For instance, in this forum and in the Washington Times, I often see the phrase "ignorant liberals" but in this forum and in the Washington Post, the term "conservative" often stands alone, without adjectives. Can anyone explain this trend to me?

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dr. Dilznick said:
:-(

I hope you reconsider...

There's really nothing to reconsider. The Bush-hating is only a tiny part of it. The main thing is that my kids are more important than the time I spent online talking to strangers. Once they grow up, I'll probably never say "I wish I had spent more time online," but I'll most likely regret not spending every free moment I could with my kids. That's not a regret that I'm willing to have.;)

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
Just to be fair and balanced (TM), I have to admit - Clinton- or Bush-bashing aside, I usually see a lot more insulting adjectives attached to the word "liberal" than I see attached to "conservative." For instance, in this forum and in the Washington Times, I often see the phrase "ignorant liberals" but in this forum and in the Washington Post, the term "conservative" often stands alone, without adjectives. Can anyone explain this trend to me?

It isn't hard to figure out. Just look at who owns the major media outlets and news organizations. They ain't "liberal idiots."

General Electric, Disney, NewsCorp, Time Warner, Viacom...all conservative mouthpieces. "Liberal media"....what a joke. Show me liberal media. Somewhere, anywhere.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
LOL, Shelby! Thanks for the laugh. Isn't it ironic though?

Here's my favorite from the CNN article:

"Earlier today I ordered America's armed forces to strike military and security targets in Iraq. They are joined by British forces," Clinton said.

"Their mission is to attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors," said Clinton.

Clinton also stated that, while other countries also had weapons of mass destruction, Hussein is in a different category because he has used such weapons against his own people and against his neighbors.

Maybe Bush didn't find any weapons of mass destruction b/c Clinton bombed them all already. :D :rolleyes:

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Not all of us who oppose Bush and the Iraq war think Clinton was blameless or right on all counts. However, the confict is certainly going on at a different level under Bush than it was under Clinton.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh, agreed. Clinton was no saint, it just that the degree of wrongdoings was less. Honestly, I don't mind if he was blowing Hussien's weapons up if it kept us out of trouble with them.

FWIW Texass, I think you're right on track with putting your kids before strangers, but feel free to pop in from time to time if you find you're free and bored. We'll miss you!

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My doctor told me that many times we have elected a president with an idiot for a brother. But, this time, we elected the idiot brother!
I am an optimist. We have survived incompetent presidents before and we will survive this one.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
caneadea said:
I am an optimist. We have survived incompetent presidents before and we will survive this one.
We may well have survived some incompetent presidents before, true enough; but this president is leaving more perpetual-damage legacies than any other. The most executive orders of any president. I should research it before I comment on the Supreme Court, but has any other president (in the last 100 years) been able to make so many appointees, including Chief Justice, as this one? Let's focus our optimism on hopes that Jebya is happy to stay in Florida... if he purchases any presidential elections in the future, we are all just done for.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC_DEEP said:
Let's focus our optimism on hopes that Jebya is happy to stay in Florida... if he purchases any presidential elections in the future, we are all just done for.
Jeb Bush already said that he wasn't going to run in 2008. I guess he saw how much of a grind running for president really is. I wouldn't want to do the shit if I were him either.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dr. Dilznick said:
Jeb Bush already said that he wasn't going to run in 2008. I guess he saw how much of a grind running for president really is. I wouldn't want to do the shit if I were him either.
I agree, I wouldn't want the job of president. But I am not so sure if I trust Jeb's assertions - we have already seen how honest and open he and the rest of his family, and his political party, are.

Number 51

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
We may well have survived some incompetent presidents before, true enough; but this president is leaving more perpetual-damage legacies than any other. The most executive orders of any president.

I don't know about this one. Clinton proclaimed a lot of executive orders, although Bush still has three years to go.

DC_DEEP said:
I should research it before I comment on the Supreme Court, but has any other president (in the last 100 years) been able to make so many appointees, including Chief Justice, as this one?

Yes - Bill Clinton, who filled two Supreme Court vacancies, just like Bush.

LambHair McNeil

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I can answer this one for you:

Going back to Teddy Roosevelt, your totals are -
  • T. Roosevelt 3
  • Taft 5
  • Wilson 3
  • Harding 4
  • Coolidge 1
  • Hoover 3
  • F. Roosevelt 8
  • Truman 4
  • Eisenhower 5
  • Kennedy 2
  • Johnson 2
  • Nixon 4
  • Ford 1
  • Carter 0
  • Reagan 3
  • Bush Sr 2
  • Clinton 2
  • Bush Jr 2 (so far)
List just shows who nominated "new" justices to the court. Elevations of sitting justices to chief justice position aren't factored in. Many different sources for this - check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Justices_of_the_Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States
for more if you're really curious.

Two or three looks to be a good ave for a president. With Stevens being 85-86, I'd bank on there being at least one more for the current Bush to replace before 2008 is done with.

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
TexAssgirl--I don't know how even a Texan could support Bush and his band of evil cronies. Most times, it is not the President who is the problem. It's the megalomaniacal kooks with their personal agenda to remold America into their narrow minded vision of justice and morality not to mention their greed.
Good luck with the kids. Stop by when you can.

Onslow--Impeach Bush? On what impeachable offense? No Republican Congress would ever bring the charges.

HappyHammer1977--Al Gore lost the election because he ran a stupid campaign, plain and simple. He wanted to distance himself from Clinton and the blow job scandal when, Clinton campaigning with him would have been his ticket into the White House.

DC DEEP--Thank you for your enlightening information. Of course, I agree.

Madame Zora--Ever the voice of reason.........

I want to say that today I am a rather liberal Democrat. I came from a long line of staunch Republicans. Until I finally woke up and realized that the Republicans were taking away MY rights, I voted Republican too. STAND BACK......I voted for Ronald Reagan......TWICE!
I learned that it is dangerous to legislate morality.

I miss Bill Clinton. He had a sincere empathy for the poor and middle class and for all people who felt left out of the political process.
Doesn't anyone remember the low unemployment and lower crime rate under Clinton? The economy was booming.
He advanced women's rights, gay rights and civil rights, causes that he genuinely believed would help everyone in our country.
I don't care if Clinton got a blow job everyday in the White House!

Although I said before that I am optimistic, don't get me wrong. I'm definitely concerned!
With Bush, we're headed down a very slippery slope.