Panhandlers...

B_Craiggers

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Do you guys give them money? Turn away? Get on their case?

I was on the train today and some dick, as able bodied as they get, is meandering through with a popeye's chicken cup asking for money or food. There's a mother sitting there with her 3 year old in a stroller, and she feels bad and gives him some change.

When he walked by me, I told him he was rude for taking money from a woman who's there with a small child. He then started foaming at the mouth motherf**er this motherf**er that he ain't askin for shit do I want some bla bla. I just repeated to him that it's just rude and let him cuss his way down the aisle.

I know the job market has gone to shit, but I see a lot of these people and all I can think is "Fucking crackhead". I see immigrants who can't speak much english standing around at the gas station in the Georgia summer heat looking for an opportunity to work for money, and assholes like this who are perfectly capable of doing it don't even make the effort.

I see people give them cash, and I can see how much they're making an hour (by way of how many they get to give them change per train car, and how long it takes them to walk it), and apparently panhandling has become good source of income (albeit totally parasitic).

It's just reallly starting to irritate me that it's become socially acceptable enough for some schmuck to just waltz around asking for handouts without even feigning a disability / mental problem / whatever and it also irritates me that people feel guilty enough to give them some. A kick in the face is what some of these assholes need...

I'm not opposed to charity. I donate what I can, but through charitable organizations where I know it's going to be spent on food / shelter / etc and not drugs, cigs, alchohol, hookers, etc.

Grrrrr.

adequate

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Was in Vegas buying a car a few weeks back from a private owner and that guy said he had seen a panhandler on the street there quickly fold up his cell phone when he seen that guy approach and asked him for cash.

heavy-chevy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
no $ - when I lived in NYC - bought a burger and fries for one of these guys and was told to "f... off" - no more!

Geeze, now that's gratitude for you! I agree with the OP, if you want to help the less fortunate, then donate to a reputable charity where you know there's a greater chance your $$$ will go towards a good cause.

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Real panhandlers need meds! Giving them money just feeds the need for more panhandling

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I was in an intersection the other day, one that is very popular for people to hold up signs in traffic. This one said "Rather Beg Than Steal" i thought that was trying to make people feel incredibly obligated to give him money so he doesnt have to steal for it. Most of the time these guys have a neck brace or a leg brace on. I've seen them stand behind things on the corner trading off who is going to hold the signs and putting the braces on the other guy while they sit in the shade.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Same story: indignant judgementalists always ready to give a drowning dog a drink of water. Panhandlers are often mentally ill, so it is okay to extol the virtues of economic immigrants and demonize the poor, the feckless, the educationally challenged?

However, you dare challenge and sensure the beggar; would you be so brave as to call to account the system and politicians who turn a blind eye to those who fall through the net? In a remote part of eastern Europe, where I was camping I had a slight accident on a country road where I stumbled and injured myself, I was dishevaled and disoriented. Reaching a small town I seated myself in the main square until I could compose and recover myself. Several strangers came up to me, concerned at my appearance, an old lady offered me bread and cheese from her basket, and two teenagers offered to buy me sausage! I must have looked a state. I am glad it was in the Balkans and not New York City, where some smug pillar of society would have admonished me for being in that state.

Before you pontificate, pause to think why that panhandler had sunk so low in self esteem he asked for a hand out. In England it is against the law to beg for money, but legal to ask for food. And the biggest panhandlers of them all, the Church!

Last edited:

Blagoblog

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
no but see all panhandlers are dishonest swindlers and nobody in america is really in need
/sarcasm

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Most of the time I ignore them...if I have food I'll give it to them- have never had someone refuse my leftovers. @ Seargent Torpedo- get real- we're not talking about the genuinely got in an accident and lost type.

Chastig

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
every situtation is different... personally I think it is better to give to a nonprofit... a nonprofit that helps people in different situtations... Hand out cards or the address to the place, so people can get help from professionals..

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Over the years I've learned to detect the scammers from those in real trouble. I never give cash, but I will almost always go and buy a sandwich if they say they are hungry and have not eaten all day. When I was still living in NY in the winter there was a man sleeping in a box on my way to work and I bought him a coat and took him to a shelter so he would not have to sleep outside.

cklover

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
They SUCK! I HATE them! They ruin parks and all places in cities to relax and chill out! I think they should be rounded up by the secret police and tortured until they flee all urban centers and create more of those lovely, picturesque under-the bridge communities under bridges! But, as long as the NON-panhandling, authentic homeless are polite and good citizens, I would tolerate them...as long as they left me the f**k alone!

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
I know in san francisco , that despite our relatively mild winters { though it does get cold } , 20 , 30 { I don't know the exact number } people die every winter from being outside in the cold. I can't imagine what it is in places like new york in the winter. I see the homeless sleep in the streets every day. Some of them look like they've been to hell and back. Its not my place to judge them. A lot of people are a paycheck away from being homeless. I get asked for spare change all the time from teenages wanting bus fare to the hard core homeless. I always give. Its only spare change and not my life savings. For those who do scam its not much of a scam.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
no $ - when I lived in NYC - bought a burger and fries for one of these guys and was told to "f... off" - no more!

Same experience from the West Coast.

Sorry for the real ones in need, but too many of the others. Saw many go from their street corner into a liquor store, come out and start drinking what was in the paper bag. (I guarantee it wasn't a pepsi :mad:)

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Panhandlers are often mentally ill...
Cherrypicking this nugget of truth, it's a sad testimonial to the lack of parity given mental health matters in our nation. I know this is very much the case where I live...many of the homeless around town are discharged mental patients.

To the OP, I do not acknowledge panhandlers in any way. Most of the major intersections around here have attracted "crews" of beggars, often with clever signs...which always calls to mind that Chris Rock line: If a homeless person has a funny sign, he hasn't been homeless that long. A real homeless person is too hungry to be funny.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would definitely go buy someone something to eat if they told me they were hungry. Unfortunately they cannot have a ride to the shelter from me, because I'm not letting anyone into my vehicle unless they are injured. I can always spare enough money to donate to good charities like St Judes and the HSUS or ASPCA. I do not normally give to the local organizations unless it's my time. Which I have done in the past on several occassions. I do not like handing money out.

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Ok, In NYC lately at McDonalds, this 'Beggar' had a note and showed it to all the different tables where people were eating, speak no Engleesh the note said, however, she went to a Chinese mans table who ignored her and called him Mr China - Money please, he ignored her so she spat at him.

At the end of the vacation, i had two jackets that were decent, i gave them to a guy who had been sleeping rough outside our hotel, he checked the labels and gave them me back lol.

Embrace69

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A place I used to work was in a bad section of town and there were homeless/panhandlers all over the place...once there were even human feces by our break table in the corner outside. Completely nasty yes, but anyway in the state that I used to live in panhandling is illegal. Sadly enough, the law didn't stop them from doing it. Every time I'd go out on break to stretch my legs and get some fresh air, I'd always get asked for change/cigs. I'd ask them if they knew it was illegal and inform them that if I saw them in the area again I'd be calling the authorities. I'd get cussed out or threatened. I even had some whack-o pull out a knife thankfully I had a few friends with me at the time.

Generally, I never give any handouts to anyone, asking or standing on a street corner. There is help for the homeless if they are willing to abide by curfews and a few other rules. There is shelter/food available if they would just use their resources.

There was one time however I did give change to a woman I saw. She was standing on a remote street corner (where there are usually no panhandlers because it's so far out of town) with out a sign or anything but she was crying her eyes out (I mean the kind of crying you can't fake, like she'd been crying for hours and hyperventilating. You could tell she was homeless, she had ragged, dirty clothes on, a backpack that had a few personal possessions in it and to top it all off, it was raining. Something about her really just made me feel horrible for her. I wasn't really in a position to take her to get shelter but I did give her some change and gave her a number to call for shelter. She really seemed thankful and relieved that there was somewhere to go.

But in general I don't give my money to people who stand there and ask for it. I'm pretty sure there are shelters/charities that help in every town for people who have need. There's no reason to stand out on corners begging for money.