Polygamy

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Supposedly much of our "marriage" ideas come from the Bible. In my post I point out that many of them are not in the Bible but from English Common law. The Koran was mentioned first.
Actually the Bible says the King Soloman had 300 wives and a thousand concubines.
If we're going to throw the Quran into the blend, then it's perhaps of interest to note that the practice of marrying and divorcing and marrying again is considered "serial polygamy" within Islam... although this is thoroughly normalized and regarded as unproblematic within other (especially Western) cultures. As always, it's a case of what one has been exposed to as 'the norm' that shapes much of one's judgment.

I would have prefered a discussion of what seems a universal reason for marriage and that is to protect the children and provide them a father. That seens to be true in all cultures. If that be true, how does that relate to our world today?
I will always question any claim of universality. Many historians have asserted that polygynous and polyandrous cultures appear to have been rather more commonplace in the past than the current historical record (constructed retrospectively from a western patriarchal perspective) leads one to conclude. Stronzo's point about same-sex parents is also of relevance here; as might be a discussion of "nannying" and "boarding school upbringings", which point to a very different familial model than you are suggesting is universal.

EDIT: all underlined phrases link to sources, as usual.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Watching gay people get married doesn't impose anything on homophobes. Watching "infidel" women walk through Mecca in a tank top and shorts doesn't impose anything on pious Muslims. Ordering a sextuple motherfucking espresso in Salt Lake City doesn't impose anything on Mormons. Polygamy doesn't impose anything on anyone.

*yawn*

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yhtang said:
In certain countries, men of the Moslem faith are permitted to have up to four wives.
This is still true today, although some governments don't allow it. Polygamy is not as common among Muslims as you would think though, mainly because the Koran requires that the men support and treat all the wives equally. For practical reasons, very few Muslim men can afford more than one wife.

In general, I can't think of many reasons to bar polygamy, except maybe because it creates an almost inherently unequal relationship that would hurt and disrespect a lot of women. But if we passed a law every time that happened, we'd all live in monasteries.

I wonder how many people who are strongly anti-polygamy have committed adultery. Seems like the latter would be far worse from the standpoint of trust and respect.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dr. Dilznick said:
Watching gay people get married doesn't impose anything on homophobes. Watching "infidel" women walk through Mecca in a tank top and shorts doesn't impose anything on pious Muslims. Ordering a sextuple motherfucking espresso in Salt Lake City doesn't impose anything on Mormons. Polygamy doesn't impose anything on anyone.

*yawn*

Thank you.

The whole "imposition" argument against anything is so full of it.

Switch the channel. Look away. Read a different paper, book or magazine. Go somewhere else to eat or dance.

Live and fucking let live already.

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
not that i care what anybody else does, but if some people can't live happily with one person, why keep adding to the pack?

but, i don't care - have 100 wives if you like; just leave mine alone.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There are many women who simply do not have the same sex drive as a man. Amoung cultures where polygamy is normal, the wives are often friends, sharing household chores and raising each other's children.

Sociologically, men are driven to fuck, not support families. If a woman is satisfied with the amount of sex she's getting, and her children that are the result of said fucking are being taken care of, she probably won't see her life as subordinate to the man's. The other wives may even provide the friendship and familial bonding that is sometimes difficult to achieve between a man and a woman due to their different sociological drives. From a social standpoint, marriage is an institution whose aim is to force men to claim their children.

Anyone doubting this can watch any episode of Maury.

AMikkell

Just Browsing
Media
I find myself agreeing with the majority of the posters in that it shouldn't be illegal, but I don't think it's a very good idea. I think if a man is going to have multiple wives, or a woman multiple husbands, or multiple husbands sharing wives, then the group should be in concensus as to who will be allowed in their group.

As love seems to be difficult enough to foster and continue between two people, I can only imagine that a group will make it more difficult, but I may be wrong.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think that polygamy is interesting. Polyamorous relationships are interesting. Polyamory, I don't know if it is for me. Being monogamous minded, I have trouble dealing with one other's issues. I think that it is possible to be able to love and have sex with many people at the same time. I think that it would require alot of discipline and a lot of juggling around though. When you add marriage wives and children into it, a lot of time and money as well.