Prince Harry

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
What I find questionable was that the Queen apparently commanded him to go and fight. That's the monarch using her power as C-in-C to override what appears to have been the decision of the UK's military commanders to keep Harry home for the safety of his unit. I have no problem with him fighting and I truly believe he wanted to go. I'm not questioning his patriotism. I am questioning the Queen stepping into the fray to further the ends of the monarchy. From my perspective, as an American, that's an abuse of power however, as all the military forces technically belong to the Queen, I can't argue with it. How you run things on your island is up to you.

If that were so, Jason, then why was the British army able to resist sending Harry to Iraq?
I think the army must have made their own decision.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The reading i have done on Harry is very positive. It should be. What a brave young man he is. His mom would be proud. I see a brave young man like this and it makes me smile. Our future may be bright after all.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think FDR sent Joe Kennedy Sr. to St. James to neutralize him in US domestic politics, he was kept out of the loop between Churchill and FDR, and did not influence policy.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
The reading i have done on Harry is very positive. It should be. What a brave young man he is. His mom would be proud. I see a brave young man like this and it makes me smile. Our future may be bright after all.

Indeed Big Buddy. He is an officer, and perhaps now may even be a Gentleman.

I think FDR sent Joe Kennedy Sr. to St. James to neutralize him in US domestic politics, he was kept out of the loop between Churchill and FDR, and did not influence policy.

This is the accepted version in the UK.

If that were so, Jason, then why was the British army able to resist sending Harry to Iraq?
I think the army must have made their own decision.

He had to go somewhere and it was much easier to keep a lid on things in Afghanistan. I think that when the Queen realized Harry was in danger of going nowhere she ordered him out. Certainly the press embargo took some time to work out but, once it was, it was just a matter of sending him along with his unit. Again, it's no reflection on Harry. He's a good soldier by all accounts. He's in a tough position; damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When was the last time that a Kennedy, Bush or Roosevelt or any of your oh so brave rulers put themselves and therefore their families in the line of fire?

Why, oh why do you insist upon starting stuff like this? :12: What rank have you attained in the RAF Drifterwood? :mad:

Bill Clinton was the first President since FDR to not have served in any branch of the military.

While conservatives on both sides of the fence may disagree, I have no doubt W.J. Clinton will prove to be one of the best presidents we have had in the last 100 years. Military service does not automatically mean great, proficient, or even efficent leadership. This can be proven by the current Commander in Chief.

FYI - During World War II Gerald R. Ford attained the rank of lieutenant commander in the Navy. After the war he returned to Grand Rapids, where he began the practice of law, and entered Republican politics.

The United States Constitution names the President of the United States the commander in chief of the U.S. armed forces. However, previous service in the military is not a pre-requisite for the position of president. The following list outlines the military service (or lack thereof) of each president before becoming the commander in chief.

See also:

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Perhaps the queen had decided the the royal families image would be better served to have Harry serving his country by going off to war rather than whoring, drinking and getting into inappropriate relationships with colonial girls and having all these antics splashed over the media.

alex8.5

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have UTTER contempt for those who are tattling on about his tackle blah blah rhubarb.

When was the last time that a Kennedy, Bush or Roosevelt or any of your oh so brave rulers put themselves and therefore their families in the line of fire?

As far as I remember, Mr. Bush looked like he shat his pants when he was told about 9/11 and ran away somewhere.

i agree with you, this man spent years training to do what he likes to do, to help others and put his safety on the back burner. Shame on the tattlers.. The Royals should be proud of HRH Harry.

I'm willing to hear an argument.
Hasn't been that simple since ...

Dragonfly got it right. HM decided Harry had to see active duty and made it happen. Harry admitted this in an interview. He says he agreed with it and I believe him. No doubt her husband was all for it as well. HM is very aware of what can happen to the spare having witnessed her own sister descend into a bitter life of hedonism. Charles was in the military and Andrew saw active duty himself. Edward.... well... he was just too fey to finish boot camp.

Pity Anne didn't go into the military. She would have half the world conquered by now.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I don't see how Elizabeth had any influence over if and when Harry went to the front lines. Are you saying that she lobbied the government and the ministry of defense to have Harry sent out to Afghanistan? Decisions about deployment are made by the Ministry of Defense in consultation with the government of the UK and I doubt that soldiers grandmothers are given a say in the decision.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I dont think a Prince can be in active war service, whatever you say, if someone grasses him up he is instanly a MASSIVE trophy target, endangouring the live of all those around him.

Seems to be, he's just another poor little rich kid playing army.

If he wants to be a solider, then he should renounce his royal ties and fight on the front lines like everyone else.

If he wants to be a Prince, he can't expect the military to covertly cover his arse above and beyone anyone soldier.

I don't think he can be both.

don kiddick

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dont think a Prince can be in active war service, whatever you say, if someone grasses him up he is instanly a MASSIVE trophy target, endangouring the live of all those around him.

Seems to be, he's just another poor little rich kid playing army.

If he wants to be a solider, then he should renounce his royal ties and fight on the front lines like everyone else.

If he wants to be a Prince, he can't expect the military to covertly cover his arse above and beyone anyone soldier.

I don't think he can be both.
he is fighting on the the front line, and supposed to be doing an extremly good job.

If everybody who was a target in war was told to go home, there would be no fighting.

When Harry has that uniform on, he is the same as every other soldier in action. Just because his Grandma is pretty important doesn't give him dispensation. He will have cleaned out toliets like everybody else,he will have performed drill like everybody else. So he should be treated like everybody else.

untill the press released the info that he was fighting the general public were not remotly arsed, and now were saying, "ooh he's a target" "ooh, hes putting other soldiers lives in danger, because he is a prince" Do you really think the opposition forces didn't know he was there already?

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
If he was tryuly being treated like everyone else, then wouldnt of had a BBC film crew with him and he wouldn't now be evacuated from the area because his identity has been leaked.

Whether he likes it or not, he is second in line to the throne of England, this makes him a massive trophy prize kill.

If it didn't, why are the army bringing him home?

He can not be a Prince and a regular amry soldier, he has to choose.

don kiddick

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He's third in line to the throne. (Queen - 1st Charles, 2nd William, 3rd Harry)

They are bringing him home because all the press are going over there, and it'll be a matter of time before one of them gets kidnapped again and held hostage.

The army have enough problems fighting in a foriegn land, against skilled local fighters trained in guerilla (sorry about the spelling) warfare. The last thing they need is scores of media from all over the world trying to get themselves shot. So if it was a choice between 100's of media swarming the country and getting in the way, or letting Harry go back to England, their is only one sensible choice.

Before all the media interest, he was doing an excellent job.

And the reasoning why the BBC were following him round is simple. Because he couldn't go to iraq due to media attention the army struck a 'deal'. The basics were, 1) Media black out on where harry is and what he is doing till Mid to late April. 2) If that happened the BBC to cover his day to day activities.

Just because he is a prince is not a reason why he cannot serve in the military.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If he was tryuly being treated like everyone else, then wouldnt of had a BBC film crew with him and he wouldn't now be evacuated from the area because his identity has been leaked.

Whether he likes it or not, he is second in line to the throne of England, this makes him a massive trophy prize kill.

If it didn't, why are the army bringing him home?

He can not be a Prince and a regular amry soldier, he has to choose.

However, the point of this thread is that until his cover of anonymity was blown by the people at whom Drifterwood is directing his annoyance that would have never been an issue. He would have appeared as just another soldier until that happened and he would have been a trophy victory perhaps if he were killed in combat, but so long as it was unknown to the world at large he would never have been a trophy target, just another infantryman in camo from the enemy's perspective. NOW that his identity has been leaked it is impossible for him to be treated as another soldier due to BBC film crews and other such things. His being treated like another soldier was contingent on that identity issue yes, but possible because of it.