Question about the Universe.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, but we've thought of the universe as all the galaxies, etc. for about 100 years, so if it turns out there was something beyond that, it would take some time to redefine what the universe is. So for practical reasons we'd continue to use the terms universe and multiverse until it was all better understood.

Thanks, I'm not a scientist, and reading all this scientific information lately has left my brain cramping! I was talking about the known "as defined" universe, before we get to string theory or any other not-yet-well-defined versions of the universe, which would either require us to redefine "universe" or come up with better words.

JustAsking said:
Ahhhhh, the cool breeze of MZ's logic is a refreshing thing indeed. Except in this case I am not sure what you are proposing?

So much for my fucking logic then, haha.

I wasn't clear at all- two things, first that we are probably not alone, even in THIS universe (at least, it seems improbable). When you consider the realms of things yet uncharted, such as kinds of consciousness, string theory, etc- well I just find it comforting to consider the fairly realistic possibility that we may get answers about some of our questions at some point in human existence from extra-terrestrial sources. It ain't God, but it would go a long way towards quelling our curiosities.

The second thing is that "I don't know" when fully understood and accepted becomes a very uniting kind of thing, rather like a mantra. I don't know, you don't know, we're just one big happy we-don't-know family. Whatever is true for us is true for all of us concerning where we came from and where we're going. I don't think our beliefs matter one iota to the grander scheme of the universe, but our unity could mean a great deal to US in the here and now. Sorry to be elusive, I'm trying to process things outside my comfort zone.