Rice Cooker

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Liarliar, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Liarliar

Liarliar Member

After hearing some of my friends tell me they have never heard of a rice cooker, I started to wonder how many people have heard of or own one.

2. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

D_Jurgen Klitgaard Account Disabled

GF's entire family has rice cookers! I had never heard of them till she made me some rice one day. They're pretty slick.

3. Principessa

Gold Member

Never heard of one until I was 30 and in grad school. A Filipino friend had one. We eat rice a lot in our family but have always found the boiling water, in a pot, on the stove method to be sufficient. :cool: Maybe it was just the people I hung out with in DC, but rice cookers seemed to be more commonly used among Asians and people from the Carribbean islands.

4. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    This never made any sense to me, some people call them rice steamers and all your doing is boiling the rice. I make rice this way. I put a cup of rice in a pan of water and when its cook to my satisfaction I pour it all in a strainer and rinse it with hot water. Fully cook fluffy rice without the sticky. No guessing how much water it will take or rice cooking dry.

5. Liarliar

Liarliar Member

I know, aren't they great!

PS: I meant to have a poll, but it said that I took too long.

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I love my rice cooker...I eat rice every day.

7. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

never heard of it before lol, don't eat that much rice...

8. nudeyorker

Gold Member

9. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Lol, if you have to buy a machine for every kind of food you had to prepare, you need a huge kitchen! I keep doing it on the old fashion way, just boiling some water lol

10. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Roomie has one, neat toy.

11. Smartalk

Gold Member

Just another kitchen gadget/appliance to take up space on the worktop...tisk tisk. as deno said what is wrong with a pan of boiling water. Why does everyone want to take the art out of cooking.

12. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm sorry I beg to differ. Perfect rice every time. In my small NY kitchen I have a microwave, a KitchenAid, Cusinart, a hand mixer , a waffle iron, toaster, blender, juicer, electric skillet, plus all of the other non electric things that someone who likes to cook has. I use my coffee maker and my rice cooker every day because in 12 minutes I have perfect rice. I'm all for the art of cooking but having something that makes something easier I'm all in favor of. BTW I make my own mayo and if I did not have a Cusinart I would most likely buy Hellman's like everyone else.

13. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Rice cookers are a great tool . They can also be used to steam vegetables. A stovetop rice steamer sn't as good, in my experience. I have a small kitchen, too, and there are just some things I can't live without.

14. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Rice cookers are the best. The texture of the rice is so much better. It makes it kind of sticky but not overcooked. Sadly mine took up too much room in my small kitchen.

15. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    oh look who it is

16. MickeyLee

Gold Member

i live on stirfry and curry, a rice cooker is pretty much the best thing going in my kitchen.

also on the can't live without list:
    electric kettle *woohoo best thing ever*

ml

17. Principessa

Gold Member

See, that's the thing, I don't like sticky rice. :yuck: Neither does my mom. We like each kernel of rice to be alone and not clinging to the others.

18. Meniscus

Gold Member

I had a housemate a few years back who had a quality rice cooker with a hinged lid. He'd make a large batch of rice and it kept warm and moist for days. I ate a lot more rice back then and it made making dinner much faster and easier.

After my housemate moved out, my parents bought be a rice cooker for Christmas, but it's the kind with a glass lid. The rice dries out very quickly, so you can only make a small batch at a time, and it doesn't make small batches very well. I eat very little rice now because it's such a bother to make and because leftover rice dries out in the fridge. I'm thinking of buying myself a rice cooker like the one my former housemate had. Some of them have timers so you can set it up in the morning and come home to have perfectly cooked rice waiting for you.

Unfortunately, I have very limited counter space in my kitchen, so if I buy a new one and start using it a lot, I'm not sure where I'm going to put it.

19. Liarliar

Liarliar Member

Instant rice keeps separate (but it does not taste as good). I happen to like the stickiness of the rice.

I eat rice a lot and find the rice cooker a handy tool. The most useful small appliances in my opinion are a microwave, blender, rice cooker, and maybe a toaster or coffee maker.

20. catman

Gold Member

To me rice is annoying to make- so I make couscous- MUCH simpler...and just as adaptable..

Draft saved Draft deleted