RIP Michael

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm no great Michael Jackson aficionado and my knowledge of his music is limited but his contribution is immense. I know the media stuff is overkill. But just this one last look please.

This is superb and (indulge me this) I think puts him into perspective more than anything I've seen to date. This is a beautiful piece of music.

It'll all be over after today anyway.

Last edited:

Yeah, have to agree with Indy. He won't rest in peace until we let him and that's not going to happen for years. Elvis redux, I'm afraid.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes agreed Industrialsize.

I'm going to do my best to avoid that part of it all.

**aside Would you have a drink at the Porch Bar at the Gifford in my honor?

I won't be going to your place of residence for a few weeks yet. I envy your locale but not the weather you've been having (save the 4th weekend) which must have been great.

Is Roomers still on Carver or was it absorbed by The Brass Key?

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have been defending him for years on the blogs. The ridicule he will continue to get is nothing compared to what has been thrown at him the last 10 years or so. He will never die because his impact has been so great. His legend will only grow in time. Can't wait for those 200 songs to trickle out over the years. Michael Jackson was smarter than most people think...

LONG LIVE THE KING!!!

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have been defending him for years on the blogs. The ridicule he will continue to get is nothing compared to what has been thrown at him the last 10 years or so. He will never die because his impact has been so great. His legend will only grow in time. Can't wait for those 200 songs to trickle out over the years. Michael Jackson was smarter than most people think...

LONG LIVE THE KING!!!

Yes SM.

I suspect he was a genius.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am going to miss the artistry and presence of Michael Jackson. I don't know who will ever get to that level of superstardom, wherewithal and standard that he set.

I just hope that whoever reaches that magnitude and apex that they get appreciated and supported in their creative lives. I hope that he inspires more people to be better students and artists in the world whether they be a painter, a doctor, a scientist, a soldier or even someone like myself. :smile:

RIP MJ :hug:

Well that was understated and tasteful. I was expecting something between the Kroftt brothers and Allan Carr.

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Regarding the just completed Michael Jackson Memorial Service: Let me preface this by saying as a Caucasian I am hamstrung by not being familiar with African-American music. Recently Obama's old minister Rev. Wright in a speech said we whites think in 4/4 time- alright so be it. But if your beaming to the world can't somebody in that musical family arrange a list of tune to bring down the house? Couldn't somebody sing something that would leave a collective lump in every one's throat and remember this hootenanny for more than several hours of forgettable speeches and lousy music?

Something on the order of: YouTube - Whitney Houston - Greatest love of all

Whitney Houston was there in the audience for the asking.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Regarding the just completed Michael Jackson Memorial Service: Let me preface this by saying as a Caucasian I am hamstrung by not being familiar with African-American music. Recently Obama's old minister Rev. Wright in a speech said we whites think in 4/4 time- alright so be it. But if your beaming to the world can't somebody in that musical family arrange a list of tune to bring down the house? Couldn't somebody sing something that would leave a collective lump in every one's throat and remember this hootenanny for more than several hours of forgettable speeches and lousy music?

Something on the order of: YouTube - Whitney Houston - Greatest love of all

Whitney Houston was there in the audience for the asking.
Well that's funny, I watched the Memorial and didn't hear any African American Music.......I just heard MUSIC.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
I never realized it, but in MJ's vid for "Thriller" YouTube - Michael Jackson - Thriller at 9 minutes in, I'm sure I can detect a direct influence from Broadway's musical "Cats".

All those costumed, theatrical zombies dancing and twirling around are not very much different than a stageful of Jellico Cats.

In fact, I think it would be interesting to do an entire thread related to the Gay Dance Influence on Michael Jackson. I know Bob Fosse wasn't gay, but I'd include him too as Fosse influenced and was influenced by the entire gay musical theater tradition of the '50's, '60's and '70's.

There are just as many Gay-Influenced Broadway Musical moves going on in Jackson's work-- as there are Motown-influenced moves in these videos.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well that was understated and tasteful. I was expecting something between the Kroftt brothers and Allan Carr.

Agreed Jason. Tasteful it was ... I was impressed.

The poem read by Queen Latifah written by Maya Angelou was a high point.

Question:

I know the Jackson family was raised as Jehovah's witnesses. At the time of his death what religion (if any) was Michael Jackson practicing? Some reports have said he'd become a Muslim.

D_Auric_Goldthinger

Account Disabled
Media
This is superb and (indulge me this) I think puts him into perspective more than anything I've seen to date. This is a beautiful piece of music.

wow when I first heard this song as a kid I thought it was gay but know actually listening to the lyrics its really beautiful it brought back memories of my childhood. Almost made me tear up

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm no great Michael Jackson aficionado and my knowledge of his music is limited but his contribution is immense. I know the media stuff is overkill. But just this one last look please.

That was beautiful and touching. A very sad song. R.I.P Michael

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I needed some goosebumps today. Thanks.