Somebody betta' slap Celion Dion.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2007
Posts
6,098
Media
1
Likes
661
Points
333
Age
41
Location
charlotte
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Gender
Male
YouTube - Céline Dion Vocal show off: Scatting, adlibbing, Le Ballet

Now I'm not a fan of hers, that Titanic song made me vomit and her cheesy pop is nowhere near my taste.

HOWEVER, I was doing a youtube search for scats/improv and was surprised that this vid popped up. Out of sheer curiosity I checked it out, and I was pretty skeptical at first. As soon as the music starts and she got into her "eh, ih, ee" I was surprised. I'm still not gonna buy any of her cd's or anything cuz pop stars never do stuff like this on their albums, but this bitch is baaaad. I forgive her for the awkward dancing cuz her vocals are just bad-ass. Listen to this motherfucker at 5:30-6:30 and tell me she ain't gangsta.
 
that was pretty cool. If she wasn't any good she wouldn't be in the business still. Some of her stuff on her newest album was a bit more modern and less apt to put you asleep.
 
I wouldn't buy any of her cd's, and I always turn when her songs come on the radio, but that performance gave me a newfound respect for her voice, I wouldn't mind paying big bucks to see her perform live.
 
Not everything is going to be a home run, but where she is professionally and financially, she can take risks. I'd be disappointed if she showed up with that as the meat and potatoes of her performance. If she just belted out Power of Love, My Heart Will Go On, and the rest of her Decade of Song compilation/album,

Amazon.com: Celine Dion - All the Way... A Decade of Song & Video: Céline Dion, Gloria Estefan, Lance Bass, J.C. Chasez, Joey Fatone, Chris Kirkpatrick, Justin Timberlake, Emilio Estefan Jr., Frank Sinatra, René Angelil, Randee St. Nicholas, Dominic

then you'd have your ticket's worth of value if the performance stayed around $ 50. For me she's no worse than Beyonce, probably has as much material and for the right occasion/date, it goes further than taking her to a ball game ?
 
I'd be disappointed if she showed up with that as the meat and potatoes of her performance. If she just belted out Power of Love, My Heart Will Go On, and the rest of her Decade of Song compilation/album

This is where we're split. I found that part more exciting, especially since vocal acrobatics like that are more rare than the belting, which just about anybody can do. I'd sleep through the boring ballads with the quiet, whispered intro, melodramatic bridge, melancholic falsetto runs then loud ending.

For me she's no worse than Beyonce, probably has as much material and for the right occasion/date, it goes further than taking her to a ball game ?

Beyonce is another underrated singer. Compared to their contemporaries, these women are certainly ahead of the pack on sheer vocal talents alone. Rihanna or Ciara would look foolish standing next to Ms. Knowles or Mrs. Dion.
 
I dont find her remotely interesting in any respect. Her voice is technically gifted but it has no soul. She belongs in Las Vegas & should just stay there forever.
 
lol...there's one video on Youtube (i think i can find the link) which makes her look totally insane but it made me love her. :p my favorite song by her is "Then You Look At Me" because i don't think there's anyone else who could've nailed that song, plus, it just sounds beautiful.

i never really got why she was so hated though. i'm guessing it's because of the type of songs she likes to sing. She's seemingly polarizing.

and with Beyonce, i freaking love her to death. She can do no wrong in my book (even though i hated "Irreplaceable", but i think that was probably Ne-Yo's fault). Beyonce can sing beautifully when given the chance ("Listen" is one of my favories by her) and she's a really great performer. i usually tune in to whatever she's on to watch her perform....
 
This is where we're split. I found that part more exciting, especially since vocal acrobatics like that are more rare than the belting, which just about anybody can do. I'd sleep through the boring ballads with the quiet, whispered intro, melodramatic bridge, melancholic falsetto runs then loud ending.



Beyonce is another underrated singer. Compared to their contemporaries, these women are certainly ahead of the pack on sheer vocal talents alone. Rihanna or Ciara would look foolish standing next to Ms. Knowles or Mrs. Dion.

She has perfect pitch and you can sure tell.

I dont find her remotely interesting in any respect. Her voice is technically gifted but it has no soul. She belongs in Las Vegas & should just stay there forever.

I have to agree with you guys. I find her a bit bizarre most of the time, but I can only bow down to her almost flawlessly perfect vocalizations. I don't like her mellodramatic interpretations, but her technique is perfect and effortless. To wit: this performance of Summertime.

I feel the same way about Christine Aguilera. Her talent is astonishing, but I usually don't like her interpretations.

I also agree with the Beyonce comment. Beyonce is a triple thread for singing, dancing, and now some acting.
 
That's why I said Celine's no worse than Beyonce, they both have tunes we all can sit thru and be dazzled by their voices. There are others I simply couldn't stand to listen to. And after they ran out of their best stuff, I'd be hoping for another act/performance to come on stage. Neither has the material to really perform for hours on end and that's if they could hold up that long. And when you think of it, outside of Pink Floyd, Springsteen, the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Elton John, and U2, could others perform for 4-5 hours by themselves and keep you sitting there thinking what the next song they performed would be and know it by name, even know a majority of the lyrics ?
 
I feel the same way about Christine Aguilera. Her talent is astonishing, but I usually don't like her interpretations.

AMEN. Christina has range and technique, but to say that she oversings would be an understatement. She can NOT just sing one note per word, each syllable, each letter has to have 9 million notes run up and down the scale. If she'd just shut up sometimes she'd be more tolerable.

I also agree with the Beyonce comment. Beyonce is a triple thread for singing, dancing, and now some acting.

She's definitely a beast on the mic, but her acting is amateurish, I don't think I've ever seen a solid performance from her. For actors, my standard is "Does it feel like I'm watching a real person or does it feel like I'm watching an actor reading memorized lines?" With Beyonce it's always been the latter. GREAT singer, mediocre actress.
 
LOL -- try watching the video with the sound off!

I don't like her songs (I don't like ANYONE who wails that much when singing), but she does have a great voice. She just over uses it.

She isn't bad looking, so why ISN'T she hot? She sure is trying hard to be hot.
 
LOL -- try watching the video with the sound off!

If I did, I'd have thought it was a drag queen doing a Freddie Mercury impression.

I don't like her songs (I don't like ANYONE who wails that much when singing), but she does have a great voice. She just over uses it.

Agreed. I don't like her songs cuz they're cheesy and she always over-belts. It's like a good chocolate that someone tries cramming down your throat by the mouthful.

She sure is trying hard to be hot.

I noticed that too, she did appear to be desperately shooting for "sexy".