Transformers

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
follow HG's lead then and see the DVD rip, then if you like it you can always go pay to see it in the theater.

Definitely good advice.

I "found" this move last week and have watched it several times since.

As a kid who grew up with the original Transformers, I felt punched in the nuts. Yes, I've heard all the stories about why certain liberties were taken with the stories/characters. I don't care. I still think it's blasphemous.

I thought the Bay effort was a midly entertaining summer flick at best. It just really infuriates me that he needed such a venerable vechile as the Transformers to pull off his little summer stunt.

Ryan, your call was dead-on. This thing was a turd, plain and simple. I'm damn glad I didn't spend $9+ to see it on the big screen. If you ever get down to the Austin area, the beers are on me.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Very sad.

Hopefully this one will tank. Or at least make about half what the first one did. Then the franchise will more than likely die.

In 10 or 20 years from now, studio execs looking around for something else to exploit will think, hey, remember that film Michael Bay did based on some toy... that made a shitload of money the first time. Maybe there's some more blood we can squeeze out of that stone.

Someone else in the board room will pipe in and say, yeah, but that may have been a fluke, the second movie did terribly.

The one half-intelligent person in the room will suggest that maybe what the franchise needs is just a new take and fresh start.

They'll shop around for directors and writers to try and get a new script. By chance they'll stumble across someone who actually gives a shit about the property and isn't just there to make money and big stupid movies. A director like Sam Raimi, Peter Jackson, James Cameron or Christopher Nolan, who actually respect the material they are adapting to the screen and do so out of love, as opposed to Bay who works by masking his contempt for the fans of whatever it is he's shitting on.

Since they already had the big huge mainstream "Hollywood" version of the movie that "improved" on the original, they'll try for something different this time. Like Batman Begins, they won't be afraid of taking themselves too seriously, because they are looking for a new fresh take on the series. They know audiences have already had enough camp and popcorn flick fodder, they'll want something new, and so they'll be more likely to eat up something that treats the source material with total reverence. Exactly like Batman Begins, this new film couldn't have been made without the legacy of the bat nipples. Those abortions of prior films were necessary to convince executives that a serious take on the franchise could actually work and be something marketable.

To really set themselves apart, and since Bayformers was already made in the contemporary and mainstream world, they could try something more stylized. Maybe even a period film set in the 1980s along with all the original character's alt-modes in-tact.. lamborghini countaches, volkswagen beetles, F-15 Eagles... more importantly they could keep the characters personalities in-tact, and since they would have found a director that didn't hate the original movie and series, and one that didn't hate his target audience, they could make a film with title characters you actually gave a shit about and saw interacting with each other. They could even go all old-skool with the action scenes and buy a steady cam and hold shots for more than 1.5 seconds so you could follow what was going on.

THAT film, should be beautiful. 20 years from now.

and hopefully in the interim Michael Bay will die in a horrible fire due to a pyrotechnics accident on the set of Armageddon 2: Armageddoner.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I liked the film, was it perfect? Nope, but I found it an enjoyable experience, watched it twice in theaters and bought the HD-DVD.

They could have trimmed the military storyline, but I did not mind the teenage kid storyline that much. It showed the perspective out an outsider discovering the transformers, and it made them seem bigger than life, and I didn't mind that. A storyline where they focused more on the autobots would've been nice.

I do admit the look of the live action transformers themselves are hit and miss, some look too busy and confusing ( like Barricade),and Michael's schizophrenic editing and camera movements sure didn't help.
Others look great ( like Optimus Prime) who's character seemed to look and act the most consistent from series to the film. I have to say having Peter Cullen back was awesome. I disagree that using G1 looks would have been better, the film would have looked like a Power Rangers episode if it were so.

But I guess it comes down to what you liked as a kid, I was more of a G.I. Joe, Thundercats and Speed Racer kind of kid.

And after watching the Speed Racer movie trailer and going WTF!?, I can understand where you are coming from.

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do you think the upcoming Iron Man film looks like Power Rangers?

I never really got into Iron Man when I was younger, but from what I have seen so far looks pretty damn cool.:smile:

Anywho, since I share a different opinion of the film, I will go ahead and back away slowly. Veeery slowly.:tongue:

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My only point about Iron Man was that it looks almost exactly like the comic books, and it looks great. Much better than Transformers, IMO. I think the argument that the original designs would have come off as too boxy or cartoony is bullshit, that's all. They didn't have to look like the cartoon, there have been renders done by amateurs that were much closer to the original designs, extremely lifelike, with full range of motion, and they looked great. Imagine what ILM could have pulled off if Bay let them.

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Again, ones original love for the cartoon series is directly proportional to the enjoyment of the film. Growing up in Puerto Rico, I had to watch a horribly dubbed Spanish version of it, and it never quite captured my imagination.

While that is just me, I have some friends, one who made his own Optimus Prime suit for Halloween....twice.... quite enjoyed the film. So I guess to fans it's a very polarizing experience, and most of is determined by the opacity of the nostalgia filter.

I agree that if James Cameron would have directed it, it would have gone from just a fun popcorn flick, to something that would have been regarded as a sci-fi classic...a shame.

I remember reading that Pixar was looking into doing some non-Disney stuff after "A Bugs Life", such as Fantastic Four and even Transformers. Now that would have been something.

Now if you'd excuse me I will have to watch the bloated Wachowski borthers rape my youth.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ryan, you must be loving these awesome Verizon FiOS commercials that are blitzing the TV nonstop lately.

Seriously, I've been in town for two days, and already I'm sick of seeing his wanna-be-Michael-Bolton-ass on the tube.