What is UP with appliances today?

cyravance

Experimental Member
Media
Washer crapped out 2 1/2 weeks ago...turns out it was the 'motherboard'. The MOTHERBOARD!? Since when does a washing machine have a motherboard? Anyway, after much bitching and moaning, got Amana to send me a new one at reduced cost. So, called the repairman to come put the bugger in...
Well, Amana sent the wrong motherboards! Yes, they sent 2 different ones, neither one was the right one. It was ordered using the model and serial numbers...
So, called Amana to bitch some more, and now they're going to overnight yet ANOTHER one and pay for the labor to install it.
How the hell can Amana NOT know which part goes into their machine? Aren't they the ones who made it? Or was it manufactured by elves in a secret workshop up north?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
How the hell can Amana NOT know which part goes into their machine? Aren't they the ones who made it? Or was it manufactured by elves in a secret workshop up north?

Hey, don't turn this into another "blame Canada" thread! And leave our elves out of it. We don't know nothin' aboot no motherboards. Motherships, yeah ok, but no motherboards.

ghb69

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I was told by a service guy, had a recall on a dishwasher, that there are only three manufactures for appliances, and that each selling company just adds there logo and one or two different specs.

I have a dryer that is 25 years old Sears that I have repaired myself seveal times. Rear bearing once and the element about 6 times.

The new ones are all electronic and there is not much you can do yourself on them.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I learned a long time ago in Hawaii to buy the most basic appliances with the least amount of bells and whistles. The salt air just fries them; as it is they have half the life of the same item on the mainland.
I don't think I would ever even consider buying a household appliance with a motherboard.
Sorry for the problem.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My GE appliances work fine- the AC is 20 years old, and the microwave is 22.

My Acme refrigerator is over 30 years old, has only had one repair to the freezer compartment, which ran about $80.00 back in 1994.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I learned a long time ago in Hawaii to buy the most basic appliances with the least amount of bells and whistles. The salt air just fries them; as it is they have half the life of the same item on the mainland.
I don't think I would ever even consider buying a household appliance with a motherboard.
Sorry for the problem.
I doubt you could buy a new household appliance these days without some kind of motherboard in it. I live about 150 meters from the sea and haven't had any issues. But is a German machine. We put them on boats as well and have no problems.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I doubt you could buy a new household appliance these days without some kind of motherboard in it. I live about 150 meters from the sea and haven't had any issues. But is a German machine. We put them on boats as well and have no problems.

I would like to know the name of the appliances, if you could PM me when you get a chance. I managed to buy a new refrigerator, oven, washer and dryer without a motherboard. Where I could not; was the dishwasher and induction stove top.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This sounds typical of home appliances of today, especially those of the electronic sort. The technology is constantly changing so rapidly that manufacturers could not make reliable products if they wanted to; and it is not economically feasible for them to try anyway. So they make shit products that, with luck, will work for a few years, which is as long as it takes for them to become obsolete. Instead of trying to make more reliable products, we try to make ever bigger, faster, and fancier ones.

I'm not sure about washing machines, but in computer technology, we are running and running just to stay in one place. The fastest technology of last year is mediocre this year and sluggish the year after that. With every new product, "bugs," lockups, and incompatibilities with other products are inevitable. We have consequently become accustomed to a frequency of product failure that would never have been tolerated in the electrical and mechanical technology of a few decades ago.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Are you sure its not the memory or the graphics card. :wink:

I know from all the lights on my dishwasher it probably has some kind of computer inside, my washer and dryer however have mechanical timers on them so there probably good for a long time.

Last edited:

RalDudeHangin

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I had the PC board fry on my wash machine when it was only a month old. The service guy recommended using surge protectors. I have them plugged into the outlets for the washer, dishwasher, fridge, dishwasher, and garage door openers (and of course TVs, stereos, etc....). I figure cheap insurance - especially after the warranties run out.