Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Anyone here got Wikipedia editing experience? I feel a rant coming on ... :mad:

I'm registered on Wikipedia, and once in a while I post something - typically small additions, corrections, typos. I've discovered on a couple of occasions that I seem to get flack from other Wikipedia editors if I post something about a topic I'm in any way connected with. The idea seems to be that this is self promotion, or an advert, or somehow not appropriate for Wikipedia. I can see that this could be the case, but it seems to have become a Wikipedia knee jerk reaction. It almost seems to have got to a state where if you know something about a topic you are considered ineligible to post on that topic - which is plain daft.

Anyone else falling foul of Wikipedia's (in my view) over-zealous use of the concept of "self-promotion"? Anyone found a resolution?

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can understand the editors' reluctance allow contributors to self-promote. To do otherwise would result in a site that has little credibility. But it isn't possible to respond to your post without a specific example. Why not post here one of your contributions? Our feedback might then be helpful.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I guess it depends on what your doing. If you set up a page called "Petes Bait Shop" (or whatever your business is) then that is obviously clearly self promotion as would adding a link to your website in an article about bait fishing. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, I don't recall very many of those containing promotions.

They may sound quite a tough bunch but I have edited a lot of Wikipedia stuff and as long as you stick to facts that you can substantiate then it's all good.

I know, I know - Wikipedia is full of bullshit.