Windows Update - Another Rant

Sassy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm done with Windows updates!!!!

Nearly every time Windows does an update, something goes wrong on my laptop. I just set up my HP printer to print again wirelessly with my HP laptop, and now I get the note that I have to download the driver for the printer. No problem. Have done it before.

HOWEVER, whatever the update did, now I cannot download the driver for the printer to my laptop. The printer is fine with all other wireless devices (computers, laptops, etc.) in the house, but not my personal one. I've gone through all the suggestions from HP, and from our IT department. I've even tried to go back to a restore point on my laptop, but all of them are after the update.

I'm NOT happy with having to take my laptop in for repair and shell out money for a simple fix. WHY didn't I marry someone in IT?! :emoji_angry:

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
An HP printer is the worst thing I've ever bought. It started malfunctioning after the first few pages.
I've given up wasting my time trying to get it working and the ink refills cost almost as much as the printer.

I've been putting the few things I needed printing onto a USB flash drive and getting it done at the library (until Covid closed them for now).

Reactions: dreamer20 and rbkwp

Jaden90

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
An HP printer is the worst thing I've ever bought. It started malfunctioning after the first few pages.
I've given up wasting my time trying to get it working and the ink refills cost almost as much as the printer.

I've been putting the few things I needed printing onto a USB flash drive and getting it done at the library (until Covid closed them for now).

This was my experience with an HP inkjet printer as well. Total waste of time.

Nearly every time Windows does an update, something goes wrong on my laptop. I just set up my HP printer to print again wirelessly with my HP laptop, and now I get the note that I have to download the driver for the printer. No problem. Have done it before.

HOWEVER, whatever the update did, now I cannot download the driver for the printer to my laptop. The printer is fine with all other wireless devices (computers, laptops, etc.) in the house, but not my personal one. I've gone through all the suggestions from HP, and from our IT department. I've even tried to go back to a restore point on my laptop, but all of them are after the update.

I'm NOT happy with having to take my laptop in for repair and shell out money for a simple fix. WHY didn't I marry someone in IT?! :emoji_angry:

Can I ask whether you were prompted to update the driver in the first place? What made you reinstall the printer?

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

agree wholeheartedly with everything said

paininthe arse,happens monthly,whenever they want to send there shit out to interfere with your life

think they got rid of that option if you wanted updates or not

i had a good lengthy run at one stage refusing those buggers access to my/MY!!! computer ha,true

driven me nuts for years

as for 'getting your laptop fixed' bugger that,not trusting anyone to delve into my personal life/anything

why i only ever buy about 300-00 laptop jobs,that cover all needs

as for the environment,and man made junk, well ......... another story

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
After reading an article or two claiming the latest security update for Windows 10 has been doing some iffy things to computers, including slowing them down greatly, I was hesitate after I got an update message on my laptop. I literally ignored it for almost two months and refused to restart the computer for it to take effect, despite the constant nagging every time I turned on the damn machine. Unfortunately I somehow accidently hit restart instead of shut-down one day and now I can only hope that that update was not the one or any problems were only isolated to certain users. So far I've not noticed anything different :emoji_fingers_crossed:.

I really miss Windows XP, the last good program IMO.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been using an Apple for a few years, but I had to use a PC for bookkeeping stuff. Then my IT guy showed me a program that lets me run PC programs on an Apple, so I'm a happy camper!

I still hear my bookkeeper scream sometimes when an update happens.

Also, my little white Apple laptop is so old that all I can do on it is answer email and browse the web. Oh, I can also write letters, but that's about it.

I think my iPad has more power! LOL!

Athena Kolva

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
This isn't helpful, but; I stick to ancient versions of Windows. I only use 10 on a specific system for playing new games.

Otherwise, I will go with either Windows XP, or 2000. But those are VERY specific systems for VERY specific operations; ie; art stuff.
I run Windows 7 64-bit on my secondary animation workstation due to it having a ton of memory, and it's a great midpoint to still have access to the programs I use for contacting people, such as Discord.

Reactions: DeviantAmateur

DeviantAmateur

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Non-Binary
I completely understand everyone’s frustration with windows, windows 10 and it’s updates but aside from the horrible vista & questionable 8, windows 10 is a breeze for me. Been always updating ASAP and never got a major glitch/bug on my desktop. Only hiccup is when I first installed win 10 and had to do another clean installation when it was first updating and crash on me.

I do have the pro paid version, 64-bit of course. But I have many other windows 7 laptops and desktops just in case I need to run any legacy or other software and hardware that won’t run properly with windows 10.

OSX however, I have so many versions of it on multiple apple MacBooks, I rarely update since some software won’t work properly with the newest OSX. I love apple but just rather have Kali or any other Linux-distro installed with it since Apple is really fucking up in my opinion.

But better then all the types of malware and randsomware that is been attacking most window 10 users.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I too was prompted to download HP software for my laptop in order to use a HP printer. It worked the first time. On a subsequent occasion the print option for an email did not work. HP's diagnostic tool stated I needed to download the HP software again - which I didn't do as I already had it. I discovered the email print option's additional alternative of creating a pdf file. I created the pdf file. Then I navigated to the HP Smart app, which is opened up via my Windows Start Menu, and this HP feature enabled me to select the pdf file and print it.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Just as you stated in your OP, Sassy, my HP laptop was unable to print as of yesterday. I too had to download the HP software (again). After that process I found 4 HP icons had been installed upon my desktop screen. One of these icons was a "shop for HP supplies icon". I expect this to be a recurrent problem and to be spammed in my future.

Squirrel1

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
There are two types of updates, security and features. The feature updates are the ones that tend to break things. Security updates are to protect you. If computers weren’t being bombarded with millions of hack attempts per day, they wouldn’t be necessary. Someone I know, who works in IT for one of our big banks, said they were literally millions of hack attempts per day on their servers.

That being said, it is unfortunate that a lot of Microsoft updates are bundled together and you can’t just install the security updates alone.

Some feature updates are inevitable or you would eventually not be able to do anything. Case in point, your web browser, be it Internet Explorer (now Edge), Chrome, Firefox, etc. have feature updates regularly. If they didn’t you wouldn’t be able to browse most newer websites as they are written a lot differently that the old IE7 days. Just try and get on a newer site with a 5+ year old un-updated browser. It is almost impossible.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I've been using an Apple for a few years, but I had to use a PC for bookkeeping stuff. Then my IT guy showed me a program that lets me run PC programs on an Apple, so I'm a happy camper!

I still hear my bookkeeper scream sometimes when an update happens.

Also, my little white Apple laptop is so old that all I can do on it is answer email and browse the web. Oh, I can also write letters, but that's about it.

I think my iPad has more power! LOL!
iPad user. Can confirm.

Reactions: EllieP