Working out

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Allanon585, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Allanon585

Allanon585 New Member

i would like to work out more and become less skimpy but i have acess to only a weight bench and the weights to go with it, i am focusing on abs and biceps and would appreciate some help. Thanks.

2. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
    lots you can do with that set up .... check out bodybuilding.com for workouts and advice...lots of good info there.

Best advice anyone can give for someone just starting out is to take your time...use proper form and dont expect miracles overnight. Try to be symmetrical too...you dont want to have big arms with tiny shoulders and chest...just looks funny...unless you plan on keeping your shirt on all the time. :)

3. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

What OC said. It takes years to build the body you want (especially if you want your gains to last). Remember that it may take 6-10 weeks of consistent work to see the beginnings of a difference. Also--eating the proper foods and being hydrated will be key to any success you achieve.

Good luck.

4. erratic

Gold Member

Hey,

The advice thus far has been spot-on. I, too, was really skinny and have gained about twelve pounds of muscle over the past year (man it feels good to say that!) just using diet and a few free weights.

Free weights are better than machines because more of your body gets a work out. bodybuilding.com has lots of fantastic advice and gyminee.com is a good tool to keep track of your workouts and diet. Make sure to eat well and eat lots of protein. I'd been working out for years with disappointing results until I bumped up my protein intake; all of a sudden my weight started to increase in all the right places.

Also, a personal aside, please make sure to exercise your legs as much as the rest of you. It 1) looks terrible when someone has a great chest and pin legs; and 2) the leg muscles are so enormous that shocking them has an anabolic effect on the entire body - so working them out is good for the rest of you.

5. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    And on a related note, the biceps and abs are both such tiny muscle groups that the body-wide effects you'll see from targeting them are pretty minimal. Also, any ab gains you make will be masked if you are carrying any abdominal fat.

The muscles you really want to focus on for maximum whole-body growth are the big ones: quads, hamstrings, glutes, lats, pecs, traps. Delts, triceps, biceps, and calves are distinctly smaller. (And btw: The triceps make up more of the upper arm mass than the biceps ... so for powerful-looking arms, don't neglect the triceps!)

I also second what's been said here about the importance of a solid diet, which I honestly think contributes as much to muscle growth as the actual lifting. Aim high -- what will seem ridiculously high -- on lean protein such as tuna, cottage cheese, whey protein shakes, fish, poultry, eggs, etc. Eating 5-6 small meals a day instead of 3 larger meals is a great way to boost your protein intake.

Good luck!

Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted