100% Bisexual

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm confused. :confused: Why is 50% gay/50% straight or some other percentage offensive to bi-sexuals?
Because it posits that there is really just gay and straight. And it's not representative of how bisexuals identify themselves. I've never told anyone, well I'm 50% gay and 50% straight. If asked, I say, I'm bisexual. It also reinforces that bisexuality doesn't exists because it can't even be named, it must be inferred. My sexuality isn't an inference, it's a fact and it has a name, identity, label--bisexual.

I disagree. I think the various percentages allow for an expression of the range of bisexuality. Not all bisexuals are equally so, meaning, that not all people who identify as bisexual are equally attracted to the opposite and same sex. The ranges allow people to demonstrate that.

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I disagree. I think the various percentages allow for an expression of the range of bisexuality. Not all bisexuals are equally so, meaning, that not all people who identify as bisexual are equally attracted to the opposite and same sex. The ranges allow people to demonstrate that.

My attraction to different genders or my experience with them isn't equal, that isn't the definition of bisexuality. My definition of bisexuality is having the capacity of being attracted to or sexually involved with a man or a woman. And to me it's that simple. I don't feel the need or see the point in stating what the percentage is because it fluctuates depending on a variety of factors. I could be with a guy the rest of my life and still be bisexual, or a woman. I'm not any percentage gay or straight, I'm 100% bisexual. I think there should be an option for people to express who they are without feeling the need of trying to divide their attraction into segments.

QuiteOne

Sexy Member
Media
It takes a sorted, sane person to realise that ALL human beings are bisexual.

I'm not quite sure I grasp what you mean by "sorted, sane". I'm a very well adjusted man that is 100% homosexual. I have never, nor will I ever, have any inkling of sexual/romantic attraction to women. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Where do I fit into your "ALL human beings are bisexual" world?

And back to the OP. I think you're splitting hairs with the 50/50 vs. bisexual. It's just a label. Either one gets the point across.

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm not quite sure I grasp what you mean by "sorted, sane". I'm a very well adjusted man that is 100% homosexual. I have never, nor will I ever, have any inkling of sexual/romantic attraction to women. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Where do I fit into your "ALL human beings are bisexual" world?

And back to the OP. I think you're splitting hairs with the 50/50 vs. bisexual. It's just a label. Either one gets the point across.

Sorry, but it's more than that, it's an identity. I'm not going to spend huge amounts of time discussing biphobia here, but it exists. Some of that is related to bisexuals being ignored or treated like they are not legitimate. And words and language mean something. What if the options were Straight and Other? Or Straight and Not-straight? Many gay people would say, why can't you give us our name, our identity? Bisexuals are not half gay or half straight, they are all bisexual. How does it possibly affect you if I want to be identified the way I see myself? How can that threaten you? Bisexuals want the same respect and recognition that straight and gay people enjoy.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My attraction to different genders or my experience with them isn't equal, that isn't the definition of bisexuality. My definition of bisexuality is having the capacity of being attracted to or sexually involved with a man or a woman. And to me it's that simple. ...

I fully understand the concept of bisexuality and agree with your capacity explanation. I have made that same explanation here over the years. I started as 100% straight, followed by a period of transitional bisexuality (80/20, 60/40, 50/50, 40/60, 20/80), before realizing I was, in fact, gay.

...I don't feel the need or see the point in stating what the percentage is because it fluctuates depending on a variety of factors. ...

Then I think you should consider taking your percentages down--many do not include them. I would not use a construct that I disagree with.

Would you be agreeable to something in the code that gave a user to option of listing his or herself as bisexual?

QuiteOne

Sexy Member
Media
Where on earth did you get the idea I'm somehow "threatened". If you want to call yourself differently-sexual then go for it. I just think that labeling our sexuality is unimportant. I'm a sexual being that is attracted to members of the same sex exclusively. You are attracted to members of either sex. That's cool. But getting all upset about labels is silly.

Not sure about the respect and recognition thing. Virtually every group and organization I've seen that is dedicated to issues of sexuality specifically lists Gays, Lesbians, and Bi-Sexuals. Transgendered too. Hell, I think they include Queer and Questioning now. Perfect example of how labeling is overused. Let's just call it sexuality and leave it at that. Every time you try to include a group of people by giving them a label, you end up pissing of or excluding another group. Labels suck.

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Then I think you should consider taking your percentages down--many do not include them. I would not use a construct that I disagree with.

Would you be agreeable to something in the code that gave a user to option of listing his or herself as bisexual?

Before you wrote this, I was playing around with the profile to see what I could do to achieve my goal. I changed the sexual orientation to "no response" and then tried to put 100% Bisexual as my occupation but then I didn't see it become part of my avatar profile. Also, it doesn't satisfy either because I have a sexual orientation and I have a response, I just can't express it because the site won't allow me. I went back to the 50/50 because it's the only option that even comes close. But this is what I find annoying, the second class citizen status of Bisexuality. There is nothing that allows us to represent ourselves fully, which is odd considering how many people here fall under the definition I use. It's like denying true visibility to a group that undoubtedly exists.

I've added a post to the thread asking for suggestions for the site. If anyone else knows how I can lobby for the option of including bisexual, please let me know.

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
ALTHOUGH the 70%|30% status, I could consider myself to be bissexual. BUT the fact is, LIFE'S easier if your gay... no STRING attached. you simply are. when bissexual, for me, it was harder, for YOU tend not to have a 'defined' sexuality [even if that is possible...].

the truth is, I'm more apeling to men than, apparentely, WOMEN...
but got the chance to fuck a few... :)