A Dogwood isn't just for Christmas ....

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
When pruning my Dogwood (Cornus alba sibirica) in April I thought it a shame to "waste" the decorative cuttings so put them in a bucket of water.
A month later the offcuts had sprouted leaves galore and long ,strong roots. These I divided with secateurs to create further rooted cuttings giving 20 or more to friends.
By next year they will be well-grown shrubs that would retail for seven pounds in any garden centre !

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Some of the newer cultivars of Cornus miss the connection, as the blossoms have pointed "petals." But here goes:

There is an old story about how the dogwood tree used to be much different than it is now. The tree was large and sturdy, and so was chosen as the source of wood to make the cross for christ's crucifixion. The tree was so moved and traumatized that it changed, and the blooms are symbolic: the center represents the crown of thorns, and the odd tips of the "petals" on the old-fashioned varieties represent the four "nail wounds." There's more to the story, but that's what I remember of it offhand.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
hootie said:
That is a very kind act and one I'd do myself. I still don't get the Christmas connection. Can you explain it to me please?

A famous slogan by Animal Protection Groups... in Europe, at least:

Attachments

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
hootie said:
I understand the Easter connection, it's the Christmas connection I haven't grasped.

And did you try clicking on the picture link in post #4? :rolleyes:

Horse. Water. No drinking.

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
hootie said:
That is a very kind act and one I'd do myself. I still don't get the Christmas connection. Can you explain it to me please?

A DOG isn't just for Christmas (RSPCA slogan).
Hence a very bad pun of DOGwood ....
Lame, I know !

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
hootie said:
I understand the Easter connection, it's the Christmas connection I haven't grasped.

Think of the first part of CHRISTmas.

Remember...Christmas isn't about giving/recieving gifts, shopping malls, snow and wintery weather....

For Catholics, It's about the Birth of Christ.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Nelly Gay said:
When pruning my Dogwood (Cornus alba sibirica) in April I thought it a shame to "waste" the decorative cuttings so put them in a bucket of water.
A month later the offcuts had sprouted leaves galore and long ,strong roots. These I divided with secateurs to create further rooted cuttings giving 20 or more to friends.
By next year they will be well-grown shrubs that would retail for seven pounds in any garden centre !

Ever use Root-Tone? It's a horticultural Plant Hormone to encourage root growth and development.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Rikter8 said:
Ever use Root-Tone? It's a horticultural Plant Hormone to encourage root growth and development.

Root-Tone is a synthetic Auxin. It works great for plants that don't produce roots easily from cuttings. On plants like Dogwood or Willow, which root easily, it can actually inhibit root development. Funny thing with Auxin is it encurages the initiation of roots, but slows the actualy developement of them. If the plant is likely to initate roots on its own, the Auxin is just going to get in the way.

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
joyboytoy79 said:
Root-Tone is a synthetic Auxin. It works great for plants that don't produce roots easily from cuttings. On plants like Dogwood or Willow, which root easily, it can actually inhibit root development. Funny thing with Auxin is it encurages the initiation of roots, but slows the actualy developement of them. If the plant is likely to initate roots on its own, the Auxin is just going to get in the way.

Exactly !
Rooting hormones are best reserved for hard-to-root shrubs and trees such as Magnolias, Azaleas, etc.
Layering is often a better solution for these .
Dogwood (and many other shrubs) root easily in water.
You can even perpare a bundle of cuttings (similar to pencils) and root them in a pot of sand ...

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Nelly Gay said:
Exactly !
Rooting hormones are best reserved for hard-to-root shrubs and trees such as Magnolias, Azaleas, etc.
Layering is often a better solution for these .
Dogwood (and many other shrubs) root easily in water.
You can even perpare a bundle of cuttings (similar to pencils) and root them in a pot of sand ...
YOu can do the same thing with altheas, hibiscus, other shrubs. I sure miss having a yard and gardening.

wi_sugargrl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think you could also use RootTone for rose bushes, or so I've been told. I would like to try that someday.

As for the dogwood, here is what i found:

In Jesus' time, the dogwood grew
To a stately size and a lovely hue.

'Twas strong & firm it's branches interwoven
For the cross of Christ its timbers were chosen.

Seeing the distress at this use of their wood
Christ made a promise which still holds good:

"Never again shall the dogwood grow
Large enough to be used so

Slender & twisted, it shall be
With blossoms like the cross for all to see.

As blood stains the petals marked in brown
The blossom's center wears a thorny crown.

All who see it will remember me
Crucified on a cross from the dogwood tree.

Cherished and protected this tree shall be
A reminder to all of my agony."

author unknown

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
hootie said:

That said, a number of people I originally offered the cuttings too were very sniffy saying "too common" and very "municipal car-park" ?!!