Abstinence question

hung

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Powerbook06.

Why risk the chance of any long term damage or bad consequences?

I have always enjoyed self pleasuring (masturbation) to keep my systems functioning full time. You see there were periods when I was deployed in the Military and I could not engage in sexual intercourse with my Bride. Even prior to my marriage I engaged in very frequent masturbation.

I continue to enjoy sexual activity, but I have never stopped masturbating. Keeps everything working well.

Reactions: camchain

powerbook06

Sexy Member
Media
hung: As you point out, there may be factors beyond our control. Yes, auto-satisfaction is the answer but this one also may not work well under certain emotional conditions.

herkimer snow: Yes, so they say. I am interested however in studies on long term abstinence just to see if there is anything established.

Smartalk: I had the same impression about wet dreams, but there probably are exceptions.

D

deleted356736

It goes without saying that the absence of a loving, intimate and sensual relationship will lead to serious psychological damage, primarily because we aren't wired this way.

Draconis71

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hi, here is a quick question.

Could long term abstinence from sex entail any potential health risks in adult individuals?

Thanks. :smile:

Mental health issues would be the ones I'd be thinking of most... (going on 39 years now, of abstinance...) Generally, we're an intimate creature.

There is, also, for guys, a (potential) social stigma on "not getting any"... depending where you live etc..

Physical release, the body can do on it's own (wet dreams, as was previously mentioned)

powerbook06

Sexy Member
Media
Let me bring this back again. I found this reference which says that long term abstinence can actually be harmful, or at least painful, because of the fluids that built up in the prostate (this one again).

This agrees with my experience. I had to stop for some reasons any activity (even masturbation) for a whopping 7 or 8 weeks time span. No wet dream in the meantime (and never had one, even when I was a teen), but some erotic dreams gave me a good deal of arousal without consummation. I ended up with a painful situation, as described in the book, mimicking prostatitis. The antibiotic my doctor prescribed me was of little help, I suppose it kept the symptoms low. Reverting to a more regular ejaculation pattern relieved the sufferance.

You don't wish to know what was the feeling in the first ejaculation after all that time. :eek:

D_Deceptivus Wrongpeter

Experimental Member
Media
Well I do, what did it feel like ?

LOL, well I can't answer for Powerbook, but a good friend of mine was in Army Basic training for weeks and never had a moment to JO because of lack of privacy (or desire).

When he did finally get a chance to discharge (no wet dreams btw), he said it was actually painful, plus the semen was almost clumpy and much more yellow than normal. After a few shots at JO, everything was back to normal.

I also had to go a month without because of military operations, and I can tell you I was cross, aggressive and hard for 4 weeks and shot like a tank when I finally came.

powerbook06

Sexy Member
Media
Well I do, what did it feel like ?
I knew before doing it that it should not be done with a woman. After all that time I had almost lost interest in ejaculating, despite the dream arousal and some fantasies when awake, but I could feel the "high energy" state of my body.

Here is an example: I was for a few days alone with some old friend (woman) of mine. When we walked together she always hold my hand in hers and just this (I suppose also the thought that she would look for some tenderness from me) was sufficient to make me "wet", I mean it milked my Cowper's gland and made pre-cum flow without erection. Of course I was not going to ruin an old friendship for this.

To the point now: after many weeks I had clear symptoms of prostatitis that could not be STD since I had no such contact for a very long time; besides I found in the meantime the reference I posted previously, so I knew the cause and I decided somehow that this needs to come to an end.

Only the thought about doing it again got me nervous. But I did it and I will never forget it. The region around the prostate released a very intense pleasure feeling, so intense that it was like a burning sensation. I suppose both were there, that is pleasure and burning. Of course the semen was more thick than previously, jelly-like and more yellowish. It was so pleasurable that I could not stop pushing even after the semen stopped flowing, while the moaning was much more intense too (more frequent and high pitched). I ended up with a numbness in my hand and general dizziness, while tears wetted my eyes.

I hope you see now why I would not do this with a woman.

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
Let me bring this back again. I found this reference which says that long term abstinence can actually be harmful, or at least painful, because of the fluids that built up in the prostate (this one again).

This agrees with my experience. I had to stop for some reasons any activity (even masturbation) for a whopping 7 or 8 weeks time span. No wet dream in the meantime (and never had one, even when I was a teen), but some erotic dreams gave me a good deal of arousal without consummation. I ended up with a painful situation, as described in the book, mimicking prostatitis. The antibiotic my doctor prescribed me was of little help, I suppose it kept the symptoms low. Reverting to a more regular ejaculation pattern relieved the sufferance.

You don't wish to know what was the feeling in the first ejaculation after all that time. :eek:

My experience as well. Tried this abstinence thing for spiritual purposes and had an enlarged prostate for years. The prostate gland gets use to routine, any change in that routine (either more or fewer ejacs) will cause any number of symptoms that are not easily alleviated.

It is also resistant to prescription drugs. However, if you take OTC cold medications you are asking for trouble. NOTE: Look for warnings on the back of all OTC meds "Difficulty with urination," "Enlarged Prostate." All are bad for men. Big Pharma has got away with pushing this crap on men for way too long.

For a healthy prostate, eat cruciferous vegetables or products that contain them. The best supplement is DIM (dimfaq.com).

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
A lot priests and monks are celebate and have no undue health problems as a result of it.

:bsflag:

There are no facts to support your comment whatsoever. And as if you have not paid attention to the news in the last few *decades* they are some of the most sexually active persons in the world. You may use the word "deviant" for those who got caught. I had a friend in seminary who was a monk (I forget if he was Franciscan or Dominican) who can testify that those guys do more fucking than most men.

Besides nature takes care of things in the form of wet dreams.

Although not unheard of for an adult male, it is rare. Nocturnal emissions are the body's way to expel excess sperm, not all the other fluids that constitute semen and not prostatic fluid, only sperm. This happens mostly during puberty because that is when a man reaches his sexual peak. All his hormones and sperm production are in high gear. Although post-pubertal men can have them, it is rare.

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
It goes without saying that the absence of a loving, intimate and sensual relationship will lead to serious psychological damage, primarily because we aren't wired this way.

More
:bsflag:

Many single people live very fullfilling and psychologically healthy lives without "sensual intimacy." My aunt is one of the most friendly, giving, loving and well-adjusted persons I know and has had no "sensual intimacy" for over 50 years. It's all part of the diversity of life.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Hi, here is a quick question.

Could long term abstinence from sex entail any potential health risks in adult individuals?

Thanks. :smile:

Depends what you mean by sex. If you mean abstinence from sexual intercourse, no. If you mean all forms of sex (no masturbation, no wet dreams) then, possibly. But your body will likely compensate for this.

You probably want to ask a doctor/urologist, as most people in this thread seem to have some sort of axe to grind, one way or another.

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
Depends what you mean by sex. If you mean abstinence from sexual intercourse, no. If you mean all forms of sex (no masturbation, no wet dreams) then, possibly. But your body will likely compensate for this.

You probably want to ask a doctor/urologist, as most people in this thread seem to have some sort of axe to grind, one way or another.

Axe to gring? no.
Sharing experience and knowledge? yes.
Answering the OP's question with known facts and personal experience? yes.

Expressing vague opinions without personal knowledge (e.g., "But your body will likely compensate for this") does not answer the question and could potentially be harmful.

Making passive-agressive comments "as most people in this thread seem to have some sort of axe to grind, one way or another" also not helpful.

OTOH, "You probably want to ask a doctor/urologist" is sound advice but you are likely to get more varied opinions than you will here (See doctor incompetence topic).

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Axe to gring? no.
Sharing experience and knowledge? yes.
Answering the OP's question with known facts and personal experience? yes.

References?

Expressing vague opinions without personal knowledge (e.g., "But your body will likely compensate for this") does not answer the question and could potentially be harmful.

Seems like you are expressing an opinion without personal knowledge right there! :rolleyes:

Making passive-agressive comments "as most people in this thread seem to have some sort of axe to grind, one way or another" also not helpful.

Accurate, though. And I notice you're the only one who felt affected enough by my post to comment. :rolleyes:

OTOH, "You probably want to ask a doctor/urologist" is sound advice but you are likely to get more varied opinions than you will here (See doctor incompetence topic).

If you're not concerned with whether the opinions is informed or not, then I suppose more varied opinions could be a good thing.

powerbook06

Sexy Member
Media
Why would you want to? Having orgasms is one of the most incredible, pleasurable things we can do!
Let me bring back to life this discussion by answering this question.

Well, having sex is ruled out for me because I don't feel the natural attraction that would lead to physical contact, despite the fact that my body is still quite sensitive and reacts to stimulation. I guess this qualifies me as an asexual.

Self-satisfaction is also excluded because I see no point to it. So boring and uninteresting. I practiced it for some time by fear of prostate congestion (the experience I described previously in this thread) but not anymore. So the only option is no sex life at all, which is fine by me.