Accidental Overdoses...

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I have epilepsy and some other neurological conditions, and for my epilepsy I take lots and lots of pills.

This evening I took my 5 o'clock dose which is the largest by far of the three doses a day I take, and then tonight at 11 instead of taking one of each pill I accidentally took my 5 o'clock dose again which is three of each pill.

I've done it before, though considering I've been on these for about 12 years not all that often, but I kinda know what the score is and how I'm going to feel so I'm not freaking out and don't need to visit a doctor or anything.

I feel like I'm really really high, and fucked out of it, some palpitations and tingling in my extremities, and weird generally.

Tomorrow I'll feel like shit.

My question to you chaps is if you take meds on a regimen, have you ever accidentally overdosed? What happened? How did you feel? Have you done it often?

D

deleted3782

Sounds like scary stuff. I'm lucky that I'm not at a point in life that I take lot of meds. I wonder what lessons there are for us to learn in avoiding overdoses in the future...

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Sounds like scary stuff. I'm lucky that I'm not at a point in life that I take lot of meds. I wonder what lessons there are for us to learn in avoiding overdoses in the future...

When I think of the actual number of doses I've taken since I was diagnosed at 17 with teenage onset epilepsy and about just how scatty and forgetfull I can be I'm utterly astonished I haven't done this hundreds of times.

It's a function of anything you do relfexisvely or routinely and very often that once in a while you cock it up. A pain in the arse statistical inevitability. :frown1:

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Well, I'm not a chap - but I do take meds :) I have to use a pill case with the dosages laid out for the week so I don't muck things up. Currently, the meds I'm on wouldn't like cause overdose, but if I don't take them consistently, they don't work well.

I accidentally overdosed a few years ago on migraine medication and that scared the bejeebers out of me. With a migraine, I'm occupied with one thought - make pain go. So I kept taking more and more pills til I went unconscious. My roommate found me on the floor several hours later. Fortunately, a quick hospital visit and I was ok. But it taught me to be very careful, and use family/friends etc to medicate me OR if I'm alone have prepackaged amounts for single use (3 doses in my migraine 'kit').

How did I feel? Like an idiot. I've overmedicated before which has left me shaking and really high - but actually losing conscousness and being found on the floor? I felt stupid. Of course, I felt really sick as well. So I'm now careful and haven't done it in a very long time.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Well, I'm not a chap - but I do take meds :) I have to use a pill case with the dosages laid out for the week so I don't muck things up. Currently, the meds I'm on wouldn't like cause overdose, but if I don't take them consistently, they don't work well.

I accidentally overdosed a few years ago on migraine medication and that scared the bejeebers out of me. With a migraine, I'm occupied with one thought - make pain go. So I kept taking more and more pills til I went unconscious. My roommate found me on the floor several hours later. Fortunately, a quick hospital visit and I was ok. But it taught me to be very careful, and use family/friends etc to medicate me OR if I'm alone have prepackaged amounts for single use (3 doses in my migraine 'kit').

How did I feel? Like an idiot. I've overmedicated before which has left me shaking and really high - but actually losing conscousness and being found on the floor? I felt stupid. Of course, I felt really sick as well. So I'm now careful and haven't done it in a very long time.

Oh god I sympathise with you! I suffer migraines brought on by synesthesia which are effectively untreatable. I really do understand that total blur and tunnel vision they create where the only thing you can think about is your brain not hurting anymore. :frown1:

I hope you're migraines are well managed now.

Yeah I also feel really stupid when I do this, especially this time when I realised what I was doing as the pills actually entered my stomach! I was swearing at myself like a Navvy.

P.S. I use "chaps" gender neutrally :wink::biggrin1:

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Migraines are the only time when shooting one's self in the head makes perfect sense. And not in a suicidal way! I often think.... just one small hole in my skull - oh yes, that would feel so good! And my migraines are mostly controlled now - hope yours are too!

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Migraines are the only time when shooting one's self in the head makes perfect sense. And not in a suicidal way! I often think.... just one small hole in my skull - oh yes, that would feel so good! And my migraines are mostly controlled now - hope yours are too!

I know right?! I've been known to gaze longingly at a hammer during in a particularly horrendous migraine :frown1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
oh jeez Hilaire, please be careful. Maybe you should use one of those boxes that you lay out your meds for the week in. My uncle use to do that for his condition so he wouldn't make a mistake.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Hmmmm. . . be careful Hilaire. And sorry to hear you suffer from epilepsy. A long-time lover had an epileptic condition and took enough phenobarbital every day that would normally put down a horse. I would steal a few of his pills because they did wonders for the occasional bouts of undiagnosed nameless anxiety I would have. His meds were eventually changed to more modern end of the 20th Century epileptic drgs for his specific sort of epilepsy. I asked him to give me one (he would take 8 a day) so I could see what effects the new meds had. That evening I snored through a live theatre performance by Marcel Marceau, waking up just in time to join in on a standing ovation. Later that same evening I found myself at a bar in Santa Barbara (100+ miles from the Marcel Marceau program) where I was introduced to Tab Hunter with whom I went home and have no memory of my sexual performance. This was in 1975.

I did, however, receive a nice card from "Tab" a week later. That same year I took what a friend assured me was a normal dose of LSD (my favorite illegal drug for many years) and within 1.5 hours had no sense of preprioception -- the ability to consciously move. I was sort of trapped in my body unable to move for four or five hours until the dosage leveled off. Not fun.

Since those days I've been very careful regarding how I "abuse" street drugs (LSD should be made legal, lots going on with that chemical) and how I occasionally bend the rules with prescribed medications and how much I take. After all, there is absolutely no reason to not to take oxycontin when you've broken a toe and are in agonizing pain.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Hmmmm. . . be careful Hilaire. And sorry to hear you suffer from epilepsy. A long-time lover had an epileptic condition and took enough phenobarbital every day that would normally put down a horse. I would steal a few of his pills because they did wonders for the occasional bouts of undiagnosed nameless anxiety I would have. His meds were eventually changed to more modern end of the 20th Century epileptic drgs for his specific sort of epilepsy. I asked him to give me one (he would take 8 a day) so I could see what effects the new meds had. That evening I snored through a live theatre performance by Marcel Marceau, waking up just in time to join in on a standing ovation. Later that same evening I found myself at a bar in Santa Barbara (100+ miles from the Marcel Marceau program) where I was introduced to Tab Hunter with whom I went home and have no memory of my sexual performance. This was in 1975.

I did, however, receive a nice card from "Tab" a week later. That same year I took what a friend assured me was a normal dose of LSD (my favorite illegal drug for many years) and within 1.5 hours had no sense of preprioception -- the ability to consciously move. I was sort of trapped in my body unable to move for four or five hours until the dosage leveled off. Not fun.

Since those days I've been very careful regarding how I "abuse" street drugs (LSD should be made legal, lots going on with that chemical) and how I occasionally bend the rules with prescribed medications and how much I take. After all, there is absolutely no reason to not to take oxycontin when you've broken a toe and are in agonizing pain.

Best accidental overdose stories ever! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Thank you, that cheered me up no end. I'm feeling better and worse today, better in that I'm no longer drugged feeling but worse in that I know feel like I was beaten up last night :biggrin1:

My brainstem actually aches, not a welcome or pleasant sensation.

D

deleted3782

Ah thank you :redface: I'm sure I'll be fine, just a sore neck and head and tummy in the morning and some minor liver damage :wink:

I hope your aches go away soon...

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do to back and spine pain I take meds to get through the day , but I’m high sensitivity to drugs and must take lower doses, so I have a pill box and keep close track
At one time I took a regular standard dose of a muscle relaxer, it was like every bone in my body melted, good thing the TV remote was near while I waited for it to wear off.

HappyBoi

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This sounds scary. :(

But I guess it's almost as a cheap (or maybe it's a hell of an expensive medicine?) way to get drunk? Wish I was there to make you feel better.. or more relaxed. ;)

I hope it'll be gone tomorrow!

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
This sounds scary. :(

But I guess it's almost as a cheap (or maybe it's a hell of an expensive medicine?) way to get drunk? Wish I was there to make you feel better.. or more relaxed. ;)

I hope it'll be gone tomorrow!

Ah thanks :tongue: Luckily my meds are free, one of the few apsects of our health system which work properly. So yeah it's a really cheep way to fuck yourself up :biggrin1:

Mind you one or two of my friends over the years have done what Midlifebear did and tried out my meds, it normally ends in them being totally sedated. I'm not sure it's much fun. :confused:

HappyBoi

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ah thanks :tongue: Luckily my meds are free, one of the few apsects of our health system which work properly. So yeah it's a really cheep way to fuck yourself up :biggrin1:

Mind you one or two of my friends over the years have done what Midlifebear did and tried out my meds, it normally ends in them being totally sedated. I'm not sure it's much fun. :confused:

Totally sedated? Oh... so that's what you use to fool innocent boys to follow you home.. :wink: