Age discrimination

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This may have affected you now or in the past and it could almost certainly affect many of you in the future.

A law has today come into effect in the UK that seeks to ban age related discrimination. Has anyone been on the end of this, at either end of the scale. Do you have comparable protections, and if so are they effective?

Full article.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
dong20 said:
This may have affected you now or in the past and it could almost certainly affect many of you in the future.

A law has today come into effect in the UK that seeks to ban age related discrimination. Has anyone been on the end of this, at either end of the scale. Do you have comparable protections, and if so are they effective?

Full article.

Jobs should be about qualifications anyways.

If people are missing out on jobs because they are too old, well that sucks. Unfortunetly, the article makes a good point.. Who wants a 60 year old man selling outfits designed for a teenage girl??

I would just ask them to name some major brands or something.. hopefully they don't know.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A guy i used to see is HR manager for a large Aviation company. One of his department heads was recently fired for letting go his employees as they neared retirement age. Several of them filed suits and won. It appears the guy thought that as someone go older they just weren't as good at their jobs as the young, vibrant charismatic people. It's quite sad.

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yup==happened to me at my last job. My then boss was getting rid of pretty much everybody who had been around more than about ten years, especially those over 40. He accomplished his task. He then got promoted twice. He was truly one of the only people in my life I can't say anything postive about.. I thought he had two decent qualites--that he was at least reasonably honest, and wasn;t a lier. When he screwed me out of over $2000 after he got rid of me, on an expense report he never intended to pay, despite the very last thing he said was that he wouldn't, he proved that he was neither of those positive things, either. Welcome to the new Amerika....