Animal Wrongs Activists

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm going to post this, and then I'm going to duck... (double meaning intended)

Animal rights people piss me off.

-- A hairdresser was recently taken to court and fined $1,000 for dyeing her poodle pink. The pink poodle was raising money for breast cancer, but NOOOOOO.... it's illegal to dye a poodle pink apparently.

-- A man wanting to get in the Guinness Book of World Records was stopped from putting an elephant in a giant soap bubble for all of 5 seconds. They said it was animal cruelty.

What is it with these people??

What about millions of animals being put to death in animal "shelters"?? What about inhumane killing of feed animals? What about race horses being put down after they can no longer win a race?

And why are some animals "OK" to kill, and others not?

Pisses me off.

* Gets down off soap box... accidentally steps on an ant... OOPS!! *

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm going to post this, and then I'm going to duck... (double meaning intended)

Animal rights people piss me off.

-- A hairdresser was recently taken to court and fined $1,000 for dyeing her poodle pink. The pink poodle was raising money for breast cancer, but NOOOOOO.... it's illegal to dye a poodle pink apparently.
I saw that on the news Friday night. The hairdresser used beet juice to tint the poodle pink. She had allegedly been assured by her veterinarian that although silly looking, it would not hurt the dog physically.

-- A man wanting to get in the Guinness Book of World Records was stopped from putting an elephant in a giant soap bubble for all of 5 seconds. They said it was animal cruelty.

What is it with these people??
Too much time and too little brains.

What about millions of animals being put to death in animal "shelters"?? What about inhumane killing of feed animals? What about race horses being put down after they can no longer win a race?

Pisses me off.

* Gets down off soap box... accidentally steps on an ant... OOPS!! *

Ugh, don't get me started on ants we have fire ants in this part of Georgia and they never die!

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I thought fire aunts only existed in really backward parts of India... :eek:

(okokokokok, that was a horrible pun)

- - - - - - - -

LOL -- I didn't hear that part about the beet dye.

Really, I just don't get some people.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Or....you could look up some facts:

The elephant-in-a-bubble story: The Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana, CA, did put a halt to the elephant trick, but the reason for doing so had to do with the security of the people involved. The Center had received threats from activists, and decided that since the show would be open to guests, that it wasn't worth putting the guests at risk. (source)

In other words, "animal cruelty" may have been the reason that someone phoned in a threat, but the threat was the reason for stopping the show.

As for the pink-poodle story: the woman was charged with violating a city ordinance, but has not been convicted yet (source). I'd say it's premature to get worked up over this until a judge has had a chance to review the facts.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Or....you could look up some facts:

The elephant-in-a-bubble story: The Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana, CA, did put a halt to the elephant trick, but the reason for doing so had to do with the security of the people involved. The Center had received threats from activists, and decided that since the show would be open to guests, that it wasn't worth putting the guests at risk. (source)

In other words, "animal cruelty" may have been the reason that someone phoned in a threat, but the threat was the reason for stopping the show.

As for the pink-poodle story: the woman was charged with violating a city ordinance, but has not been convicted yet (source). I'd say it's premature to get worked up over this until a judge has had a chance to review the facts.

Yeah, well, I listen to the radio. That'll teach me. :rolleyes:

But my point still stands: People are spending vast amounts of time and energy defending animals that are not even harmed.

That's my point.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There used to be a guy here in KC who owned a head shop named "Coopers"... the mascot of the store was a small poodle named Cooper, who was consistently dyed purple, with glittery purple fingernails. I never saw that dog any other color. lol. I don't even know what color he originally was!!

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It all started with that huge movement to stop the circumcision of baby seals....

Yeah, well, instead of taking just the foreskin, they took ALL of the baby seals' skin! :eek::biggrin1:

There used to be a guy here in KC who owned a head shop named "Coopers"... the mascot of the store was a small poodle named Cooper, who was consistently dyed purple, with glittery purple fingernails. I never saw that dog any other color. lol. I don't even know what color he originally was!!

LOL -- well, might not have been illegal in that area.... either that, or nut jobs didn't go in the store!

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah, well, I listen to the radio. That'll teach me. :rolleyes:

But my point still stands: People are spending vast amounts of time and money defending animals that are not even harmed.

That's my point.

Well, let me provide a partial defense, then --

It's not a secret among activists that one effective way of raising awareness for your cause is to find local cases where it applies. (Environmentalists call this "Think Globally, Act Locally"; but I've heard it described by other names.)

As an example from the gay community: One of the rationales behind "National Coming Out Day" is to bring the issue of LGBT rights into local communities. It's a lot easier to be homophobic if you believe outlandish things like "all gay people live in San Francisco and dress like Liberace" (something I actually heard once as a child!), but it's a lot harder if that nice neighbor right up the street happens to be gay.

As another example, mothers like Cindy Sheehan, Lila Lipscomb, and Roxanne Kaylor are moving and effective because of their personal connections to the Iraq tragedy. Their voices have helped change minds of people in their communities who know them, or who knew their sons.

When I hear these stories about activists getting worked up over a soapy elephant, I'm 99% certain that their hearts are in the right place, even if their efforts are misguided. In the aftermath of the recent video purporting to depict a Marine killing a dog, these activists are looking for an opportunity to bring their cause local, but they're too impatient to wait for the right opportunity, instead jumping at the first animal-related story they could find to make their protest.

You originally asked, "What is it with these people?" It's impetuousness: the sincere desire to make the world better, coupled with the unwisdom to make their scene over a relatively trivial matter.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Well, if you dye a poodle and think its wrong, why not investigate why poodles need to be given funny looking haircuts, have their tails bobbed, and owners often perfume their dogs...and make them work in DOG shows!

...or those people who keep dozen of cats and never clean up after them and are really cruel, but disguised as concerned people....

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, let me provide a partial defense, then --

It's not a secret among activists that one effective way of raising awareness for your cause is to find local cases where it applies. (Environmentalists call this "Think Globally, Act Locally"; but I've heard it described by other names.)

As an example from the gay community: One of the rationales behind "National Coming Out Day" is to bring the issue of LGBT rights into local communities. It's a lot easier to be homophobic if you believe outlandish things like "all gay people live in San Francisco and dress like Liberace" (something I actually heard once as a child!), but it's a lot harder if that nice neighbor right up the street happens to be gay.

As another example, mothers like Cindy Sheehan, Lila Lipscomb, and Roxanne Kaylor are moving and effective because of their personal connections to the Iraq tragedy. Their voices have helped change minds of people in their communities who know them, or who knew their sons.

When I hear these stories about activists getting worked up over a soapy elephant, I'm 99% certain that their hearts are in the right place, even if their efforts are misguided. In the aftermath of the recent video purporting to depict a Marine killing a dog, these activists are looking for an opportunity to bring their cause local, but they're too impatient to wait for the right opportunity, instead jumping at the first animal-related story they could find to make their protest.

You originally asked, "What is it with these people?" It's impetuousness: the sincere desire to make the world better, coupled with the unwisdom to make their scene over a relatively trivial matter.

Thanks for the clarification, Mindseye. I do see your point, and you're right -- their hearts are in the right place, even if they don't pick the right battles.

I probably listen to way too much radio, but the PETA representatives I've heard interviewed all came across as nut jobs. To bad, because I agree with them in principle.

On the bright side, Los Angeles recently signed into law an ordinance requiring ALL pets to be neutered. Brighter still: veterinarians are mobilizing to provide cheap/free spaying/neutering. This will dramatically reduce the killing of unwanted cats and dogs. I hope other cities follow suit.

But still... it gets my goat (!) that almost every person ranting about soapy elephants and pink poodles is eating dead cows and chickens that have not been killed in a humane fashion.

(I'm vegetarian myself, but fully acknowledge my hypocrisy... I wear leather shoes.) :eek:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, if you dye a poodle and think its wrong, why not investigate why poodles need to be given funny looking haircuts, have their tails bobbed, and owners often perfume their dogs...and make them work in DOG shows!

...or those people who keep dozen of cats and never clean up after them and are really cruel, but disguised as concerned people....

Excellent point, ZOS.

Tail bobbing is so cruel. I hear that they don't even anesthetize them beforehand. :eek:

And no wonder Dobermans get mean -- their lopped off ears and tails...

So many breeds are maimed.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

this doesn't bother me (the sanctions, that is)

this does

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
For the record Dobies are not mean because they've been altered. It's the nasty,abusive owners that give certain breeds their terrible reputations.
Neutering and spaying does not cut down on the killing of unwanted pets.
It's being a responsible owner that will do that. Not giving up your pet because your new apt. doesn't want pets in them.
Shelters with a no-kill policy keep adding to their populations,theanimals are the ones who suffer. It's better to humanely euthanize them than to let them linger in overcrowed no-kill shelters. I've shown most of my dogs and it's not cruel. Dogs especially need to work or have some kind of interests.
They get bored like we do.
cigarbabe:saevil:

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
For the record Dobies are not mean because they've been altered. It's the nasty,abusive owners that give certain breeds their terrible reputations.
Neutering and spaying does not cut down on the killing of unwanted pets.
It's being a responsible owner that will do that. Not giving up your pet because your new apt. doesn't want pets in them.
Shelters with a no-kill policy keep adding to their populations,theanimals are the ones who suffer. It's better to humanely euthanize them than to let them linger in overcrowed no-kill shelters. I've shown most of my dogs and it's not cruel. Dogs especially need to work or have some kind of interests.
They get bored like we do.
cigarbabe:saevil:

Yeah, I got my baby boy from a no-kill shelter. He was six or seven years old already. Someone got rid of him because their apartment didn't allow cats. He hates other cats. He was there with about 150 other cats in this house that was stinky. When he walked down the hallway, the other cats parted for him staying away from him, I knew I had found my cat.

I had to sign all sorts of papers agreeing not to torture him (as if). The thing is, being in that shelter was torture for him. I could tell. When I first got there I asked about declawing and they almost ran me out of the place. They reconsidered and said they'd allow me to see the several declawed cats they had only because they couldn't trust me not to declaw a cat since I even brought it up. Pancho was one of them that was declawed.

Gee, so it's more humane to keep cats that would otherwise find good homes in your over-crowded shelter than allow your adopters to declaw some cats. Some people won't allow a cat that has its claws into their home because all cats scratch where they shouldn't sometimes.

Those people who ran the shelter were insane. I'm grateful that I found my baby there but would it have been humane to keep him in an environment he hated for the rest of his life if no one would have adopted him because he was already six or seven and not a cute little kitten?

I know I rescued him from those nut cases. It took him almost a year to stop having major separation anxiety whenever I would leave the house. He used to cry when I would leave and would charge the door. I would hear, "MEOW! *Thud*" repeatedly while waiting for the elevator to leave my building. It was horrible and I almost cried every day because I thought it was so sad that he couldn't understand that I'd be back and I wasn't going to leave him forever like his previous owners and those stupid shelter people. I'm not sure what Hell he experienced in that shelter but his behavior was certainly indicative that he thought he had experienced a major trauma in that shelter.

Animal rights whackos are not humane to pets. They mean well but they let politics get in the way and they become militant. (Just like another group that infects LPSG but I digress.)

Now he's fourteen or fifteen and he's doing great. He's still a little neurotic but he's now confident I'm going to return home every day. He's always at the door to greet me when I get home. :smile: