Any tips for my workout routine?

D_Leotols Toy

Experimental Member
Media
So finally hit the gym again after 2 months and tried getting back on track with my old routine. It's a fully loaded gym with machines and free weights and what not, but this is a rough plan as I didn't have a pad and pen ready, just tried recollecting the number of reps and sets. Take a look and mind you I've been out for 2 months so the weights are small so I can get into my groove:

8/12/09
-3 sets of 10 reps - Concentrated Bicep Curls - 20 lbs
-1 set(s) of 10 reps - Standing Barbell Curls - 40 lbs
-2 sets of 20 reps; 2 sets of 15 reps;1 set of 10 reps - Weighted Ab Crunches - 40 lbs
-3 sets of 15 reps - Tricep Pushdowns - 90 lbs
-3 sets of 10 reps - Lat Pulldowns - 70 lbs
-3 sets of 10 reps - Machine Chest Presses - 70 lbs
-15 minutes of cardio/jogging

I want to do like a 3 day split work out, so I tried to focus more on my arms, chest and a little bit of back.

Anyone got any idea for the other 2 days? and how I should split it up?

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
yah the first advice is NOT to split it up
split routines are around for when you are advanced enough that your CNS won't recover from the workload you are doing with just your Chest and Triceps
at your level you can do a full body routine and still recover in time to do it another time (or two times) in a 7 day period

another intersting and useful point would be knowing what the hell your goals are

D_Leotols Toy

Experimental Member
Media
Not losing weight as I've already lost too much from my surgeries and time-off. But my main goal would be to toned and back to my normal weight. 140 now, was 165.

I guess a little muscle building wouldn't hurt, as I need to for my arms and back.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You have to find the right balance of doing the routines that help you reach your ultimate goal. It will vary for everyone. I worked with a trainer when I was trying to loose 3" off my waist. Now I work upper body and abs on Monday, Lower Body and abs on Wednesday, and I work a spit of both on Friday. I take a dance class on Thursday and either play tennis or go rollarblading on Saturday. On Sunday I rest. I have just found that having a few activities outside the gym helps me not to get bored with the machines three days a week.

D_Leotols Toy

Experimental Member
Media
True, I just don't know if my sets and reps for the machines are correct. I think I've overworked this time because its been 2 days and I'm still sore. I think I got a little too enthusiastic being back at the gym again.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
True, I just don't know if my sets and reps for the machines are correct. I think I've overworked this time because its been 2 days and I'm still sore. I think I got a little too enthusiastic being back at the gym again.

Two or three sets with 10-15 reps is pretty standard. Keep in mind that you have been away for a while, and have recovered from surgery. Lower the weight a tad, and take a day off in between gym visits. I am a firm believer that you should not weight train the same muscle groups two days in a row. Others will disagree with that, but I think your muscles and body need a day off between training.

D_Beau Nerr

Experimental Member
Media
Not losing weight as I've already lost too much from my surgeries and time-off. But my main goal would be to toned and back to my normal weight. 140 now, was 165.

I guess a little muscle building wouldn't hurt, as I need to for my arms and back.

You could try Alwin Cosgrove's 5x5 training. It's really good for building mass. I've tried for a month and I've gained around 5 lbs of muscle mass in a month

D_Leotols Toy

Experimental Member
Media
Yea as you can see, I've tried keeping with the 2-3 sets with 10-15 sets. Does that go the same for abs? It makes me bad cause I was doing 30 lb concentrated and 70 lb weighted crunches before I took time off. Now I'm back to where I started, but oh well.

The 5x5 training.. I've read and heard about this, but does it involve machines or just free weights? I'd like to make the most of my $36 a month gym membership lol

D_Beau Nerr

Experimental Member
Media
It makes use of the free weights - cause you'll be doing squats, deadlifts, military presses, bench press. The key with 5x5 is that they are comppound multi joint exercises - that is they work different group of muscles per single move.

Yea as you can see, I've tried keeping with the 2-3 sets with 10-15 sets. Does that go the same for abs? It makes me bad cause I was doing 30 lb concentrated and 70 lb weighted crunches before I took time off. Now I'm back to where I started, but oh well.

The 5x5 training.. I've read and heard about this, but does it involve machines or just free weights? I'd like to make the most of my $36 a month gym membership lol

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media

soreness is normal after a return to the gym
really tho like I said earlier you don't need to be doing a split routine right now and would be better off with a fullbody plan at this point

D_Beau Nerr

Experimental Member
Media
Here you go:

Option One (Full Body Routine)

• Monday
    A-1: barbell bench press
    A-2: bent over row
    B-1: barbell squat
    B-2: stiff legged deadlift
    Turkish Get-up 2x5 l,r (left and right)

Wednesday
    A-1: weighted dips
    A-2: weighted chin-ups
    Barbell deadlift
    Hanging leg raise 2x5

Friday A-1: incline press
    A-2: renegade row
    B-1: front squat
    B-2: glute/ham raise
    Saxon side bend 2x5
Ah yea, I looked on google but couldn't find any routines for it

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Personally, I think you should try a certified trainer for a few sessions. A REAL trainer will look at you ...your strengths and weaknesses and any physical limitations and help you better toward your goal. It's easy to give advice online but one has to take in account the real life situation of the person they are talking too. You need someone to be there to make sure you're doing the exercises with the right form as well so you do not hurt yourself and get a more beneficial workout. Also, when you think about how much it costs to go to a dr or chiropractor after you get hurt...a three session pkg with a certified trainer will be well worth the money. The fact you said you were out of commission due to surgeries and such... not one person asked what that was for or if you're sure you are ready to get back to normal working out. Also, did you Doctor say you could? With some surgeries, you are not allowed to work out at all or have limited things you can do for MONTHS.

StraightDave

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So finally hit the gym again after 2 months and tried getting back on track with my old routine. It's a fully loaded gym with machines and free weights and what not, but this is a rough plan as I didn't have a pad and pen ready, just tried recollecting the number of reps and sets. Take a look and mind you I've been out for 2 months so the weights are small so I can get into my groove:

8/12/09
-3 sets of 10 reps - Concentrated Bicep Curls - 20 lbs
-1 set(s) of 10 reps - Standing Barbell Curls - 40 lbs
-2 sets of 20 reps; 2 sets of 15 reps;1 set of 10 reps - Weighted Ab Crunches - 40 lbs
-3 sets of 15 reps - Tricep Pushdowns - 90 lbs
-3 sets of 10 reps - Lat Pulldowns - 70 lbs
-3 sets of 10 reps - Machine Chest Presses - 70 lbs
-15 minutes of cardio/jogging

I want to do like a 3 day split work out, so I tried to focus more on my arms, chest and a little bit of back.

Anyone got any idea for the other 2 days? and how I should split it up?

My advice is to forget the weights and invest in a good sized, well behaved, heavy dog. Dog lifting is THE most convenient and effective way to build strength/muscle mass. Do some doggy curls, some dog squats, lunges, dog deadlifts, doggy bench press, you'll be good to go. Might even get some NFL recruiters eying you.

But if you're allergic to dogs, I do have some advice that still may be useful to you. You're doing too many curls. Rows and chinups/pullups are far better exercises. They will work your lats and your biceps. Compounds are always better then isolation exercises. I'd trade out one(or even both) of those curls with rows and or chinups/pullups. You could throw some real light curls in after rows/pullups to get a real fun pump, but otherwise, there's FAR better ways to hit your biceps.

Squats/lunges for your legs. Do deadlifts too. Really all you need for your lower body.

Military press is a tremendous and very fun exercise as well, you should throw that in somewhere.

D_Leotols Toy

Experimental Member
Media
Alright thanks everyone for the advice, I do like some pull ups so I'll trade that for the curls. Do you recommend doing pull ups and rows in the same day? and should I leave out the compound lat pulldowns, as well? I forgot squats.. they used to be a part of my old regimen and I'd like to try some military presses as I've heard alot bout em

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Alright thanks everyone for the advice, I do like some pull ups so I'll trade that for the curls. Do you recommend doing pull ups and rows in the same day? and should I leave out the compound lat pulldowns, as well? I forgot squats.. they used to be a part of my old regimen and I'd like to try some military presses as I've heard alot bout em

I agree with the suggestion of working with a trainer for a few sessions. It really helped me a great deal. I personally have given up squats and lunges since I blew my knee out, you can accomplish the same effect on a machine with out the wear and tear on your knees.

D_Odipherous Pitts

Account Disabled
Media
The big thing that has not been addressed is your diet!!! A proper diet is 75% of your success in trying to gain muscle or lose bodyfat! You can work intensely in the gym but muscles aren't built there, they are built at home in the kitchen and getting the proper amount of rest.

Improve your diet, especially by eating more protein, will be the BIG key in to seeing success. If you're wondering if you're eating enough protein you're probably not... eat more. Unless you have a kidney problem the extra protein will do you a lot of good.

D_Leotols Toy

Experimental Member
Media
Besides protein intake, my diet is mostly well balanced. I'm more so on the lines of a vegetarian, minus some beef every now and then. Lots of greens and vegetables for me. My fat percentage is quite low, so it's mainly toning and bulking up that needs work at the moment. My ab area is quite easy to work as I've always had them without any effort since I can remember. And my chest and back tend to get bigger without too much effort either, but my arms have been the main downfall.

For squats, dead lifts, pull ups, rows, and military presses will the 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps work with that as well?

So basically:

Upper body:
-Pull ups
-Rows
-Military presses
-Ab crunches

Lower Body
-Squats
-Deadlifts
-Ab crunches

Followed by cardio.

Any other exercises that need to be added to work any other areas?

And instead of deadlifts and squats, what machines can I use instead? for injuries sake

Also OCMuscleJock, the surgeries were minor, a tonsillectomy and cyst excision, the doc gave me the go ahead a while back, it's just taken me sometime to want to go back

Last edited:

vlls

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
dude... most of these routines wont do the trick... the best approach you can take getting back into the gym is to do medium intensity and high volume workouts (increasing the volume gradually as u go)... thats the best way to grow for most people... if you only have 3 days to train during the week then I advice doing a search on "Bill Starr" and the "The Big Three" for a strength workout... but strength workouts (which are high intensity and low volume) are most effective when you've got enough experience and mass to be able to lift BIG amounts of weights... and eventually thats going to come to a standstill and you're still gonna have to switch to doing high volume again to built mass... feel free to message me if you wanna talk more... cheers