IMHO, in any human organization there is going to be a reflection of society - homophobia, sexism, etc. some organizations try hard to combat it, other's openly foster it for their own various reasons. Out here in the Bay Area and even other law enforcement agencies (like CHP) are pretty enlightened re: homophobia but I have a feeling there are still individuals who are homophobic no matter where you go. So I think in answering your question, I'd say it's not instituationalized in all law enforcement.
I've been a Police Officer for 20+ years. At the beginning AIDS was the big scare as we had to protect ourselves against possible infection. At that time we as a nation knew nothing about the disease or its rate of infection so Yes we were homophobic. As time went on we had more information as to its spread and were not as worried about it. I know many Gay people and have found them to be just like any other person, with hopes and dreams for the future. I have come around like most people have and am no longer "afraid" if that is the right word here. I think the majority of Law Enforcement Officers are like I am but you don't hear about the good ones, you only hear about the few bad ones. They give every Law Enforcement Officer a bad name. I know some of them also. What is the cure for them, They need a good Blow Job. (Sorry, I just had to add that) You will never cure them even with all the training and information you can give them. Some will never change. We all will have to just deal with it.
One who has been there and knows the truth
Maybe it's because I live in the New England, but I've always found Police Officers to be remarkABELY UN homophobic in general
I think if they are alone they are less likely to be homophobic. In front of their partner they may feel they need to portray a different image.
One time I was stopped on a shoulder of a highway with transmission problems (bucking) . A young officer asked where I was going. I lied because I was going to a gay club and did not feel it was any of his business. I told him I was going to a friends house in West Milford. I was thinking of New Milford. Which is not near where I was. I then had to explain where I was going and he said okay, we sad he had just gotten a report on a vehicle similar to mine and he left.
I've been a Police Officer for 20+ years. At the beginning AIDS was the big scare as we had to protect ourselves against possible infection. At that time we as a nation knew nothing about the disease or its rate of infection so Yes we were homophobic. As time went on we had more information as to its spread and were not as worried about it. I know many Gay people and have found them to be just like any other person, with hopes and dreams for the future. I have come around like most people have and am no longer "afraid" if that is the right word here. I think the majority of Law Enforcement Officers are like I am but you don't hear about the good ones, you only hear about the few bad ones. They give every Law Enforcement Officer a bad name. I know some of them also. What is the cure for them, They need a good Blow Job. (Sorry, I just had to add that) You will never cure them even with all the training and information you can give them. Some will never change. We all will have to just deal with it.
One who has been there and knows the truth
We use essential cookies to make this site work, and optional cookies to enhance your experience.