Arginine and herpes

D_Soggie Doggie

Account Disabled
Media
I recently tried a nitric oxide stimulator (NOS) as a workout supplement and had a flare up of herpes as a side effect. The common ingredient in these products is arginine which I learned causes the herpes virus to replicate.

I've read some claims that lysine can counteract this side effect of arginine. Can anyone confirm that this works? If so, what is the best ratio of arginine to lysine? Are there any other strategies that would allow me to use an NOS product without getting an outbreak of herpes?

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Well I don't know the science behind it, but I'm currently suffering Shingles, which I believe operates in the same fashion as Herpes does and my doctor and some friends and family have all recommended Lysine as a way of shortening and lessening the effects of the Herpes Zoster virus (which is the Shingles/Chickenpox virus) on my body.

neo1989

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
L-Lysine inhibits the growth of the herpes virus. I take it regularly to avoid cold sores. The problem with L-Arginine is that it reduces the body's ability to absorb L-Lysine, so it makes it less effective. I have had decent luck taking both, at different times of the day, on an empty stomach.