Arrogant. Why?

ohhhey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
There seemed to be talk lately of how different upcoming generations are, with domineering parents holding their hand for everything, even coming with them to interviews and so forth. The same line of thought that removes competitions because everybody has to be a winner. It would be interesting to see what effect that has on arrogance, if you can be arrogant while still being so dependant.

speshk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I blame the fatherhood crisis. Men don't understand manhood. Men aren't being imprinted by example as they once were. Blame fat times and less dependence on social ordering. Life used to be a lot harder and people had to count on one another. In short, Western abundance had led to all kinds of anti-social pathologies, including narcissism. Similarly, well-meaning tolerances have lead to lowering standards and a diminishment of virtue. The result: Look out your window, read the news. The solution: Hard times for it is then that manhood can re-emerge. Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

LittleDude

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't like arrogant people, but in a way, i do admire them. It's self-confidence and cockiness brought to an extreme. If they've got what it takes to back up their arrogance, then i feel like they've got the right to be arrogant.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I don't know what you mean by arrogance.

Arrogance seems to me to be what folks think of someone who seems more forceful in their opinions than they are.

They may be more forceful from insecurity-- making up for lack of confidence with feigned overconfidence...

Or they may be more forceful as personal style...

Or they may seem more forceful because they are competent and correct

Or maybe just because they are assholes.

Have a good year, and your friends will think you are arrogant.

But it seems like the word "opinionated"...
Folks calling others opinionated seem oblivious to the irony of stating their opinion.

The only people I would call arrogant are those who deny their own failures and who refuse to entertain the notion that they may be wrong.

GW Bush is the very MODEL of Arrogant.
Rumsfeld is Arrogant
Cheney is Arrogant.

But their friends and families probably do not see them that way.

Most people I meet I would not qualify as arrogant nor opinionated.

They ALL have opinions...regardless of how forcefully they argue them.

They are ALL, at some time or another, loathe to admit error.

People have a spectrum of behaviors that fluctuate and change with the circumstances.

I can seem arrogant when I am discussing something I feel strongly about... but talk about the mechanics of cars- which I know nothing about... and I will stand there like a meek wall flower while others expound.

There was a story about a sociologist conducting a survey and when she asked people what percentage of other people were assholes... she got a surprisingly consistent estimate of 30%...
Until she asked a New York Cabbie... He said 5%.

"So low?' she asked-
"well", said the cabbie- "its never the same 5%."

We are, all of us, insufferable to others from time to time.

D_Roland_D_Hay

Account Disabled
Media
The definition of arrogance is having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance; marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others.

I think it is possible for people to have a lot of self confidence, but not be arrogant. It's all in the manner in which a person holds him/herself. I believe arrogance is often the result of low self esteem and is used to mask those feelings. I found this table that might better articulate my position:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,ms san serif]Arr[/FONT]
Arrogant:
View themselves as superior
Always knows whats better for others
Are incisive in their transactions with others
Never admit their mistakes
Revel in the blunders of others

Self Confident:
Believe in themselves and in their talents
Are open about their objectives and potential
Are gifted competitors
Aren't afraid to recognize their missteps
Help others correct their slip-ups

Last edited:

Alamut

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Arrogant:

Self Confident:
Are gifted competitors
That is a very good summary, I would say. Self confidence and arrogance are joined, two sides of a spectrum. But I find that a person who is able but arrogant, has still missed a part of the equation. In the end, with such behavior, you make yourself smaller and less admirable.

B_lamdellboo

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The definition of arrogance is having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance; marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others.

I think it is possible for people to have a lot of self confidence, but not be arrogant. It's all in the manner in which a person holds him/herself. I believe arrogance is often the result of low self esteem and is used to mask those feelings. I found this table that might better articulate my position:
Arrogant:

rico27:
Are gifted competitors

Synonymous. :wink:

avalonlovelove

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have met many people who are arrogant some former friends of mine.But I have always been very good at picking up on that kind of behavior.I normally tell them not to let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.I do not tolerate nor associate with people who act in that manner.I think arrogance is a superiority complex they feel as if they rise above others because of the way they look live or how they act and present themselves.Granted I do not like them but I do not hate them at the same time.Heh everyone is different in this world some are self-assured and confident which is great.But others are cocky self-absorbed and arrogant.Like they say variety is the spice of life.:mischievous::cool: