Atheism = Farce!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Incocknito, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incocknito

Gold Member

2. D_Aggleby Applenads

D_Aggleby Applenads Account Disabled

absolute bullcrap.

3. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Meh, it's interesting that this kind of thing would whip up a storm or outrage if it were "The Farce Of Religion" with people angrily defending the right of people to have faith in the supernatural without being attacked for it.

Since this is about Atheism I expect few enough will be so outraged. Why? I'm not sure. I certainly find it deeply offensive.

#3 D_Tim McGnaw, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. redejb87

redejb87 Member

The best you can hope for is to be called an agnostic, which, as you know, means “no knowledge of .”
    Atheism is like a blind person saying that there is no such thing as light or color,
    despite what all of the sighted people around them are saying.

That is crap! So because everyone else is saying that there is a god, I should just believe and not question it? Just b/c christians believe they have the 'sight' and I don't, it means I'm 'blind' to the truth? Such a bad example.

This person seems totally biased and one-sided, and guess what. I don't think I believe in god and all they have to tell themselves he's real is a book. Well, I respect other people who believe, so why dish out negativity on those who don't?

Their explanation has no fact either, b/c although I don't believe it doesn't mean I think I'm 'omniscient' and have gathered all the knowledge of the universe. Bull crap out the mouth hahahaha :D

5. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Pfffhahahaha. Being atheist doesn't mean absolute knowledge that there is no god. It's belief that there is no god. I admit I have no real evidence that there is no god, but there is no evidence for god either, so based on how I feel, I believe there is no god.

The reason there wont be any real outrage is because most people who call themselves atheist aren't over-reactive morons. And someone attacking my belief doesn't mean anything. Unlike other religions, when you attack that, you are attacking their mental crutch, at least in my opinion. Atheism is a luxury. It would be like if someone tried insulting for having a Lamborghini Miura. Ouch, I'm so hurt. :rolleyes:

6. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I can never work out whether sites like this are real or fake. :frown:

7. D_Tim McGnaw

Well I'm not an overreactive moron, but I do take being an atheist a bit more seriously than viewing it in the same light as what make of car I might own. :tongue:

8. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You certainly aren't one, no. :tongue: I take it seriously, though maybe not as much as you. But this guy's claim and logic are ridiculous. Only fools will believe and take him seriously, and you know how well arguing with them goes. :tongue:

9. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    The FSM laughs at the impudence of the "essay" posted in the OP!

10. big_tits4big_dicks

big_tits4big_dicks New Member

That was dumb. And I'm still an atheist. Whatevs...

11. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    May you be touched by his noodley appendage Bbucko.

12. D_Tim McGnaw

No quite right :wink:

I guess my point was that if this article were "The Farce of Religion" you would see Agnostics, and Atheists in this thread outraged by the attack on people's personal beliefs. There would be dire imprecations about militant atheism and the insult this kind of thing poses to people's right to believe what they want without being attacked.

It's just telling that people of faith, in the main, would be less likely to do Atheists the same courtesy.

13. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That's true, I can't say I've ever felt same kind of respect a religious person shows others of different religions. But I do kind of enjoy that, making them feel uncomfortable. :tongue: This has been my experience though.

14. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    We all have the battle-scars of various religion threads here and elsewhere. I seriously wonder every time the suggestion is made of establishing a "Spirituality Forum" here at LPSG if the proponent has any concept of how such a subforum would make the Politics Forum look like Funny Stuff: Jokes, Quizzes, Games & Pics

Jus' sayin' :cool:

15. maxcok

Gold Member

The illogic of that thesis, and it's a huge, is this: The writer requires the aetheist to have omniscient knowledge of every unknown corner of the infinite universe in order to prove the nonexistence of diety, whereas the believer is presumably allowed to conclude the existence of diety in the absence of any proof, relying on simple faith alone. Following the thesis to its logical conclusion, one would have to say that everyone is agnostic, except perhaps those believers who have indisputable knowlege of diety that cannot in some way be rationalized or delusional. Of course as Pendlum points out, professing aetheism does not require absolute knowledge of anything, any more than professing theism does - they are simply beliefs.

What nonsense.

p.s. "Well…Nancy," . . . . hmmm :squint:

#15 maxcok, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  16. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    That is so often a problem. I was among those fooled by the site Christwire.org. This site looks sincere to me, but even if it's another poe (which I doubt), the argument that it presents--"To be justified in denying the existence of God you would have to be omniscient, i.e., you would have to be God; so atheism is self-contradictory"--as stupid as it is, is one that I have heard (or rather read) offered by religious believers many times.

You know, if the guy behind the site checks his site hits, he will be led to this thread. Now there's an amusing thought! "Hey, somebody has linked to my site from--a Web site about large penises?!" :eek:

17. spiritsong72

spiritsong72 New Member

The truth is it's all faith. Speaking personally, I cannot fathom an existence without a spiritual base. What that spiritual base is and how it incarnates in my life is certainly not for this thread if for no other reason than I hate being preached to and hate espousing my beliefs on the unsuspecting (and generally unprepared) public.

That being said, I have tried to wrap my head around atheism. Truly I have. And I have had conversations with so-called "atheists" who when you talk to them and really listen to what they have to say they really just don't believe in the Christian God. And it's less of a mouthful to say they're atheist than to say they don't believe in the Christian God.

Please note:

I HAVE NOT SPOKEN TO EVERY ATHEIST ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET!!!

Therefore there may indeed be people out there that truly don't believe in the existence of ANY God (or Goddess or Energy or whatever they're calling "IT" nowadays) outside of the human animal. I just haven't met them. But I would like to find what I would call a "true atheist" and pick his or her brain ad nauseum until the mere thought of explaining it "one more fucking time for the slow bunch" makes them want to bite down on the business end of a rifle. Not that I want to see anyone dead for their spiritual beliefs (or lack thereof). It's just that it's so foreign to me - and fascinating - I'm like a caveman discovering fire for the first time and alternately bowing down to worship it and poking it with a stick.

18. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

:rolleyes: I couldn't get past the first paragraph or two.

19. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I don't believe in any god or higher power. I used to think that there was one, but I no longer believe that. I came to that conclusion just by contemplating it over and over again, and I'm satisfied how I feel now. Actually, more than satisfied, I'm quite happy with it.

20. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

I bet the author of that site feels really accomplished.

There are quite a few of us around, including on this site.

I don't believe, and there isn't much more to it than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.