Bea Arthur Passes

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
One of my favorite characters Bea Arthur played was the unemployment clerk in History of the World pt 1, telling Mel Brooks, a stand up philosopher he was a bullshit artist. Asking him if he bullshit last week. Did you bullshit this week and if he planned to bullshit tomorrow. She was great.

I spent my late evening last night watching episodes of Maude and Golden Girls on YouTube. She was wonderful. I really applaud the work she did on Golden Girls because I think in Maude it was much easier for her to be the center of attention. In Golden Girls she had to hold her own with three other accomplished actresses, one of whom is the brilliant Betty White. It was much more an ensemble effort where all of the characters were given equal time in the spotlight and lines to match. More than other sitcoms, Golden Girls required chemistry and I wonder if that was difficult for someone like Arthur who was used to dominating a scene whenever she was on stage or camera.

Here's Arthur
performing in a Golden Girls restrospective episode. What a gift she had and how lucky we are to be able to share in it. Definitely a life well-lived.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I knew she couldn't live forever, but I'm sad the day finally came when she had to leave us.

I have only vauge memories of Maude, but I loved the Golden Girls. Sophia and Dorothy were my favorite characters; they both had attitude--Sophia's eccentric and irrevererent, and Dorothy's smart, caustic, and witty. Bea had many great moments as Dorothy, but one that holds a soft spot in my heart is her rendition of "What'll I Do."

YouTube - Bea Arthur Sings, "What'll I Do?"

One of my favorite characters Bea Arthur played was the unemployment clerk in History of the World pt 1, telling Mel Brooks, a stand up philosopher he was a bullshit artist. Asking him if he bullshit last week. Did you bullshit this week and if he planned to bullshit tomorrow. She was great.

As someone who holds a philosophy degree, I have a special appreciation for this scene.

I spent my late evening last night watching episodes of Maude and Golden Girls on YouTube.

I watched the episode of All in the Family in which the character of Maude was introduced. No wonder they gave her her own show.

My favorite moment is the two-part show when Rose, pretending to be a foreign exchange student, has a heart attack and as she drops to the floor at the high school reunion, Dorothy announces, "Now look what you've done! You've upset Kim Fung Toy!" For some reason that line just makes me crack-up.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i never watched golden girls, and maude was before my time

but she did a guest starring role on malcolm in the middle as a wacky baby sitter for dewey that was pretty funny and kinda surreal. I thought the writers must have been fans to write her in. and credit to her for doing it, she seemed to really give it her best.