Birth Control

walla99

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Is it true there is a higher rate of cervical cancer among women using the IUD?

Not sure where you heard that but cervical cancer, which is rare, is usually caused by hpv, which is a virus than can be transmitted through sex. I've never heard an IUD causes higher rates of cervical cancer. That doesn't make sense. However, when an IUD is first inserted, it is very important for a woman's doctor to make sure she doesn't have any bacterial infections such as chlamydia or gonorrhea, and she is more susceptible to these infections mostly in the first few weeks she receives her IUD. The IUD does not cause these infections.

walla99

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Did you all go through quite a few before finding a good one or does a good doctor kind of "know" what to prescribe to a given woman? Thanks.

I think the doc starts with something that they've had good results with other women but a lot of women have to try a few to get one that they like.

D_Dolly Pharton

Experimental Member
Media
I am on Mirena IUD which is the one with progesteron. I was having such heavy periods I would miss work at times. This little baby stays in for five years and I only have a slight discharge during my period now, if any at all. Since I was not concerned about pregnancy at the time, and that was not the reason for getting it, I only had to pay a fifty dollar co-pay.:smile:
It hurt like h$!! when getting it but I love it.

Honeydew

I have the Mirena IUD also and oh my gosh that sucker hurt... that was not in the pamphlet LOL Yasmine gave me high blood pressure so an IUD was my only choice but I CANT say I miss my periods HA I only get a little cramping from time to time. Took me a few months of agonizing cramps to get here but it was so worth it :redface:

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I have the Mirena IUD also and oh my gosh that sucker hurt... that was not in the pamphlet LOL Yasmine gave me high blood pressure so an IUD was my only choice but I CANT say I miss my periods HA I only get a little cramping from time to time. Took me a few months of agonizing cramps to get here but it was so worth it :redface:

My mom had an IUD back in the 70's and said it hurt like a bitch. For this reason i've never considered it. After the pain i went through having a cervical biopsy and post D&C from the dilation....there was no way in hell i could handle the pain of insertion of one of those things!

You ladies are braver than i am!

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have not been on birth control for awhile now. I can't take birth control that has hormones in them. My blood pressue sky rockets from all the pills I have tried. I've also been on the patch. I gained a lot of weight on that and as you can imagine WAS not happy about that shit.

I'm going to get an IUD inserted as soon as I have the money. Can't wait, sick of worry about periods and not being able to be on birth control.

LongNights

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Notthe7 ---

1. Have you exhausted all BC pills? Progesterone only?
2. Have you tried any of the shots?
3. What about the ring?
4. IUD -- be sure it is someone who places them a lot ... seen tooo many pregnant women with IUDs.

LongNights

B_Bette

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm on POPs, too. I successfully avoided THE PILL (estro/progestro) my whole life, thankful for that. I like POPs overall. I had side effects I did not like, for the first couple of months, but they went away. Overall, my body is taking very well to the added hormone. Periods are somewhat heavier, longer and crampier than before, but if I can workout on the first day that my period is coming, I can shorten the length, flow and cramps.

My only big complaint is the tendency of my body to now stubbornly hold onto fat in "problem areas."

POPs work differently from the other PILL, which fools the body into thinking it's prego, hence the side effects. That's why it must be taken at the same time, because it creates a mucuous barrier at the cervix. I'm currently playing around with timing, cos honestly, it's a pain in the ass to remember to take something at the same time, everyday. I suppose it's no problem for someone who wakes at the same time everyday, or who goes to bed at the same time, but who lives like that???!!! I'd like to take it during the workday, but my lunch hour is not always the same, and when the boss calls, you better be there, and he won't have me leaving meetings with clients so I can take my pill!

Other difference: my orgasms changed. Less sharp, more full and satisfying, less clitty. (Still clitty, just...less sharp-clitty, more vaginal.)

Stick with it. If you switch times in the first couple of months, you'll experience breakthrough bleeding, but it went away for me.

B_Bette

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Another thought.

I wanted to use Mirena, which is basically an IUD with POPs impregnated into it. I ENCOUNTERED MANY WOMEN WHO BECAME PREG WITH THE MIRENA. Just a warning....

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Long Nights,

I have not. As a full-time student and full time worker it's SO hard to remember to pop a pill too. My father has a list of alements that all stem from diabetes and high blood pressure. I'm scared about having high blood pressue on BC.

I've never heard of anything bad about IUDS. I was thinking about trying the pills again.. MAybe yaz? Who knows, fucking A we will see.

RamIt

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Can anyone elaborate on "encountering many women who get pregnant" on IUDs? Im dating one at the moment, and not using any other form of contraceptive. (we are both clean, and faithful) I was under the impression IUDs were safer than the pill.

Side note, any women with an IUD have more soreness after sex than usual, or are more sensitive to a guy going too deep?

walla99

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have a copper IUD and actually they are almost as effective as a tubal and more effective than the pill. (Less room for error as it's just always there, nothing to do with remembering to put it there.) There may be people who have gotten pregnant on it but I can name someone I know who got pregnant on ANY form of birth control...including one guy who had a vasectomy whose wife got pregnant. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and no pregnancies. I did however get pregnant using a condom (from having sex one time and there was intercourse without the condom for maybe 5 seconds.)

Since I seem to be so fertile, I wanted something really effective. It hurt when it was inserted for about 5 seconds, but otherwise I don't notice it. The one thing I don't like is I have regular, longer periods but I'll take it if I don't have to use hormones. I haven't noticed additonal sensitivity during sex, I just think my cervix is positioned a little differently at certain times of the month but that is due to my fertility and not the IUD. My boyfriend has mentioned once he can feel the strings sometimes (which supposedly isn't supposed to happen) but it doesn't seem to bother him that he has mentioned. Hope that helps.

D_Dolly Pharton

Experimental Member
Media
My mom had an IUD back in the 70's and said it hurt like a bitch. For this reason i've never considered it. After the pain i went through having a cervical biopsy and post D&C from the dilation....there was no way in hell i could handle the pain of insertion of one of those things!

You ladies are braver than i am!

LOL I wouldn't say I am brave I just had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA IT WOULD HURT AT ALL OR T HAT BAD LOL it was awful then I had horrific cramps from for months all good now so it was worth it but holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
condoms and I use to chart my cycle. It worked 4 years for not getting me pregnant

I had just bought the thermometer a few days before I found out I was pregnant with my child. After that I always charted during certain times of the month we just wouldn't have sex unless a condom was involved (when I was with my ex)

I may go on the pill someday again but with hypertension in my medical history along with all the other stuff. I think it is safer not to take the pill a this point.