Brokeback Mountain

cruztbone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In addition to 7 Golden Globe awards, in my opinion . It is not about two guys who discover they like each other's wieners. It is about the love two real men have for each other but are unable to express it in a homophobic society. Truly, this was a beautiful story. Great coverage in both last sunday's San Jose Mercury News and the New York Times. Finally, a movie that shows how real men can come to love each other and still function as acting heterosexuals.
And there are many more out there, gentlemen. Many of you know who you are. Go see the movie. You might develop some courage...

B_HungSpermBoy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I know this will sound negative to some of you guys,but I just don't understand the need to make fun of everything that seems a little bit genuine. Or is it that relationships between guys is not a legitimate subject for a film? I guess I keep making the mistake of taking the name of this group a little bit too serious. I think I can see why most straight guys would be uncomfortable with this film, but I'm wondering why gay guys are also? Is it phoney or too superficial?

ThaitAss

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
GoneA, you most certainly should see it for yourself. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'll take heed and have plenty of tissues on hand for the end. I read the story and found it moving, but seeing it brought to life is bound to have the usual effect on me.

I hope all who see it will feel free to post their thoughts, whether positive or negative. Censorship does tend to swing wildly from one side to the other and I'm just as in favor of being open to the idea of a wonderfully presented story of these two men as to hearing from those who "didn't get it." It's all part of the fabric.

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
One of the things that struck me so hard when I read the story was the fact that these characters didn't have the ability or opportunity to understand what they felt--they were products of a society that didn't have a way to recognize the love they felt for one another. Crippled by and lost in the limitations of their culture, they struggled to find some way to relate to one another. Just overwhelmingly sad.

Is the film true to the story?

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I just saw this. The film was TOTALLY true to the story. What a heartbreaking film. Five hours after I saw it, I was overcome with emotions--they seemed to build the more distance I got from the theatre. One of the best films I have ever seen. Period. Easily up there with Ghost, Philadelphia. Good Fellas, Traffic, etc. Just WELL DONE be everyone involved. Damn.

B_HungSpermBoy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm glad you felt the way you did about it, Lex. I'm straight & I thought it was one of the best films I've ever seen.

Lex said:
I just saw this. The film was TOTALLY true to the story. What a heartbreaking film. Five hours after I saw it, I was overcome with emotions--they seemed to build the more distance I got from the theatre. One of the best films I have ever seen. Period. Easily up there with Ghost, Philadelphia. Good Fellas, Traffic, etc. Just WELL DONE be everyone involved. Damn.

panthera

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I read the story a while back - it rang so many bells I cried. Although I now live in Germany, I grew up on the Colorado/Wyoming border. I could only afford to be openly gay because anyone who hassled me knew they'd get the shit kicked out of them by my dad, who's still the terror of the area in his 70's...If you've been lucky enough to only know a socially accepted love, or to live in parts of the world where its the love that matters and not the gender, then you just might have trouble figuring out what is so moving about the story.
Am going to see it next week with old school friends and their kids. Ah, one interesting side effect of the film, one of my oldest friends sons came out to his folks at Christmas (we were talking about the upcoming film). The family reaction was great:
Dad (my old friend): Looks at his wife, then at me: Well shucks, you folks were right after 'tall...and (this to older brother who is not one of my favorite people) you keep your mouth shut...after all, you'rE technically a lesbian... (when he didn't "get it" his younger sister leaned over and whispered soto voce that she'd explain later)
Mom: Of course you are dear. More pie, anyone?
Girlfriend of not-so-favorite-brother: Ugh! And you like slept in the same room with (brother)?! (Oh, they so deserve each other)
Younger Sister: It's not about you...
I helped by keeping my mouth shut. Yes, I can. I was chewing anyway, and it is rude to speak with food in your mouth.
In a time when it seems like the 'States is sliding into a faschist theocracy, kinda nice to come back for a visit and see love and tolerance among my childhood friends.
Go see the film, never mind what anybody else thinks of it. The story, whatever you think of the film, reflects reality out here in the west. Mathew Shepard was murdered not ten minutes from where I'm typing this...

titan1968

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Lex said:
I just saw this. The film was TOTALLY true to the story. What a heartbreaking film. Five hours after I saw it, I was overcome with emotions--they seemed to build the more distance I got from the theatre.

Lex, those are my sentiments exactly. Beautifully acted and directed, breathtakingly beautiful scenery. It hit home. I laughed and cried with the characters, I felt their joy and their pain-- their pain was sometimes too much to bear....

Love is such a strong (and beautiful) emotion. Be it homosexual or heterosexual, it is still love, and both forms are natural!

Titan1968

Atia

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
HungSpermBoy said:
My girlfriend and I went to see the film "Brokeback Mountain" last night, and it completely blew us away. It's about a relationship between two young guys, who are cowboys, who fall in love,but who are not able to deal with their mutual love over the years. Very intense and incredibly sad.

I would like to see this film, but the lover refuses. I guess I will have to grab one of the girls.

Thanks for the review!

:D

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There is only on sex scene in the entire movie, which I think makes the film work on so many levels. It's not about the sex--it's about these two young men who grow old loving one another but never having one another. Tell your BF to get a grip. If he can hide his hardon, he'll be fine. Guys are SO afraid of liking guys--its rather insane.

Jake Gyllenhaal naked except for boots, washing his clothes in the river?! ----WOOOOF!!

contranimal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
ashlar said:
I've heard both sides the the most popular seems to support my initial assumption about the film; That it's just two rednecks who one day discover they like one anothers weniers.

hey Ash hun ... its playing @ the big 14 theatre place in Harrisburg now ... I suggest ya go see it ... I went all the way to San Francisco to see it with a friend the tuesday after its intial release back in December and I LOVED it ... I wasnt sure if i would or not but I did ... its well worth the time I though

crocket

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I finally got to see the movie - one of the best ones I have ever seen. I to as others cired in the end - such a powerful movie. Good job to everyone!:popcorn:

josh82823

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Anxious to hear what you think about the movie, Dee.

I was actually supposed to see the movie this week, but it was to be with a guy I just met, and this was our first "date". I think I need to see it with someone I know well, as crying on a first date is not so hot...

We went to see King Kong instead...bleh.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Here is my review for the movie:
http://www.epinions.com/content_217070276228

I ramble on a bit, yeah. Anyway, "Brokeback" is terrific. It's really compelling, thoughtful, and powerful, and it's very true to what Proulx intended when she wrote her short story. It was strong enough to make me a little heavy at times, and I kept pulling for the leads the entire time, though knowing full well that their love was forbidden by societal law and the way of their land. You get past the sex scenes quickly and discover that there's something really great in the work. I recommend it to anyone, gay or straight, and I'm sticking to that.

spl98006

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The bf and I finally got to see it today... and like your experience, Dee, out here in the fairly conservative 'burbs of Seattle, the matinee was packed. Not just packed, in fact, but packed with lots of straight couples, mostly over the age of 30! That was the biggest surprise for us - seeing who our fellow audience members were.

As for the movie... well what can I say that hasn't already been said here? Beautiful and sad.

B_HungSpermBoy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Cool review,Dee. I've come to quite a few conclusions about Brokeback Mountain, the most important one is that I think that since these two guys, Jack & Ennis, were young when they first meet, they basically "fell in love" maybe for the first time. So that first love was so intense that Brokeback Mountain ended up being the symbol for all that was perfect and idealistic about first love. Then their lives went on to other experiences that weren't so good. But they always had Brokeback Mountain in their memories,but couldn't ever get back to that perfect love. I think this story could be about any two people who fall in love, a girl & a guy, or two girls or two guys. It's just that it's so pure and intense that they were drawn together, and had no power over their connection, which is defined as "a force of nature". So to me while it's sad how the movie progresses, I think it helps all of us understand how any two people can fall in love or maybe just simply love each other....even two guys.

DeeBlackthorne said:
Here is my review for the movie:
http://www.epinions.com/content_217070276228

I ramble on a bit, yeah. Anyway, "Brokeback" is terrific. It's really compelling, thoughtful, and powerful, and it's very true to what Proulx intended when she wrote her short story. It was strong enough to make me a little heavy at times, and I kept pulling for the leads the entire time, though knowing full well that their love was forbidden by societal law and the way of their land. You get past the sex scenes quickly and discover that there's something really great in the work. I recommend it to anyone, gay or straight, and I'm sticking to that.

rangisrovus19

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just saw this movie tonight and its still replaying in my head. This was probably one of the best movies I have ever seen. If I wasn't with a group of friends, i would have weeped in the theater. it touched me like no other movie - and i'm a movie buff myself. the fact that two males - cowboys to say the least - struggled to play their "role" in society and can't brings me to tears. i would suggest this movie to everyone, even for those who are against homosexuality... maybe they could learn something from it.

i want to watch it again right now, over and over. wow. a m a s t e r p i e c e .