Calling all geeks

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
My puter is suddenly asking for a password when I try to unzip a .zip or .rar file with 7zip or ZipGenius. Since I didn't tell it to do that I don't have a password. This has not been a problem in the past. I've tried cleaning out history, cache, etc. with CCleaner and resetting my Comcast modem and restarting the computer to no avail.

Any way to get rid of this annoying problem so I can unzip some files?

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What happens if you try to extract the files with Winrar?

WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

It could be a setting you have configured in ZipGenius (whatever that is)

Or, if you got this zip from online, the person who created it has set a password for it. In this case, you won't be able to access the files unless you know the password.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Many new kinds of zip files are popping up. Some cannot be opened with the usual ones like Win Zip E.C.T and ask for passwords. Sometimes it's all a trick to get you download a zip file (music, Movies) and ask for a password and then do harm to your computer. So a word of caution on that. Do a good virus and spyware scan after you download any kind of file every time.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I exclusively used 7zip until this happened today so this afternoon I downloaded ZipGenius6 to test it. Both require a password on both archive files I've tried to unzip or unrar.

They are Rapidshare files from a private group but others in the group are not having this problem.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They are Rapidshare files from a private group but others in the group are not having this problem.
I would make sure you have the exact same file as the other people. Sometimes you can get a file from one server and others get a file from a different server. Can you get the files directly from someone else and see if that opens?

Like someone else said, whoever zipped those files put a password on them. That's the simplest explanation.

Can you open other zip files that you've opened in the past without a password?

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I exclusively used 7zip until this happened today so this afternoon I downloaded ZipGenius6 to test it. Both require a password on both archive files I've tried to unzip or unrar.

That's the problem then. If they require a password (meaning a private file) then you have to get a password and that you can't get sometimes. Stay with the non private files.

D_Mylor Mentallydaft

Account Disabled
Media
My puter is suddenly asking for a password when I try to unzip a .zip or .rar file with 7zip or ZipGenius. Since I didn't tell it to do that I don't have a password. This has not been a problem in the past. I've tried cleaning out history, cache, etc. with CCleaner and resetting my Comcast modem and restarting the computer to no avail.

Any way to get rid of this annoying problem so I can unzip some files?

even though i know nothing about computers the simple fact that when i read the title i sat for a good 20 seconds to the tune of "calling all freaks" in my head rewritting it as "calling all geeks"