Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
His name was David Reimer.

Kinda insane that any doctor would diagnose phimosis in an infant -- phimosed is the normal, healthy condition of an infant -- but this was almost 45 years ago and mad pediatricians were advocating forced retraction for "cleaning".

There was nothing wrong with either twin. After David's penis was burned off with the electrocautery device, his brother Brian's scheduled circ was scrapped and he developed perfectly normally. As David would have.

The story of the devastation wrought on David Reimer, his brother and their parents is the story of medical ignorance. Twin boys, perfectly healthy, but their parents were mis-instructed by doctors and nurses to fiddle with their sons' developing penises. And when they encountered problems, which were predictable, the over-the-top solution was to burn off the infants' foreskins. Or in this case, an entire penis. And then craft a vulva. And then try to turn an XY human being into an XX human being. And watch him revolt.

Bottom line: no more circumcisions, no more cases like David Reimer. Or Allen A. Ervin. Or Demetrius Manker. Or Dustin Evans. Or Ryleigh McWillis.

matt121matt121

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
but this was almost 45 years ago and mad pediatricians were advocating forced retraction for "cleaning".

I recently talked to a guy that is my age, and we got on the subject of circumcision, and he said that he was circumcised at the age of 1 1/2 years old, as his foreskin had ripped when it was pulled back...and he said that due to this his penis looks sorta messy...I saw it but, didn't really stare at it and it looked pretty normal to me...other than being a bit on the small side eventhough he bragged about being "italian" lol...

but despite what seemed like his possible dissatisfaction with his own circ I was interested to find out that he said that if he had kids that he would have them circumcied at birth...

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Funny, why do you care so much about the Circumcision complications when you are uncut and never want to be cut?

Yes, there are complications if the one who is going to cut you is dumb.

In our country, the complications of circumcision is non-existent.

Why do you say its non existent? Although, I have no first hand experience other than reading about circumcision in the middle east I think the complications there begin when the foreskin is just 'streched out and lobed off' while others hold the one being circumcised down so they cant get away. It makes no matter when or where or how its preformed the act of circumcision itself is brutal.

I've seen 'botched' circumcisions personally. Skin bridges that were created from the cutting of the skin that nicked the glans and the the shaft skin healing to it causing the glans to bend to the right so far when he would urinate he would hold his penis to the far left. Very sad. I've also seen a penis with the glans almost cut off on one side because of the bell not being placed correctly.

Sorry for the rant.

D_Jerry_Atric

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah I saw a TV documentary about him. He was brought up believing he was a girl but later on he decided to live as a man, as presumably inside that's what he felt like. Poor guy was really mixed up as you'd expect. Didn't he end up taking his own life?
OK I found info about him. Yes he did kill himself. :sad:

The text from Dr. Carol Queen's site is too big to paste in here but it's a well written essay/article/biography, and I put the link to it below.

c a r o l . q u e e n

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dr. Queen's article is easy to read, but inaccurate. It's wasn't "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]time to go down to the hospital to get circumcised" -- these kids were 7 months old already and their Mennonite parents had no intention of having them circumcised. Bruce (who later changed his name to David, as in David & Goliath) and Brian were taken to the local hospital as suggested by their pediatrician when their mother got worried that one or both of them was having trouble urinating after she would forcibly retract their foreskins for "cleaning".

Dr. Queen completely made up the line "
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Little Bruce’s baby brother was circumcised, wailed, eventually healed; well, his circumcision did not go awry, anyhow." In fact, David Colapinto's comprehensive book makes very clear that Bruce went first, and when his circumcision went horribly wrong Brian's circumcision was put on hold, then canceled. He grew up without any physical problems, as far as we know. Sorta weird that Queen would go making stuff up, considering she specifically referenced Colapinto's book. Oh well.

Back on the general subject of complications, the Williams & Kapila review in the British Journal of Surgery (1993) is the most comprehensive and widely-cited on the subject of neonatal circumcision. It reports a regular complication rate in the range of 2.0-10.0%, which would mean in the US somewhere between 30,000 and 150,000 boys born with complications serious enough to be re-visited by a doctor. It does not count the hundreds of thousands of crooked scars and generalized meatal stenoses caused annually.

Infant circumcision is a tremendously variable operation with virtually no standardization. Different methods, different operators, different skill levels, different patient physiologies and no clear criteria for outcome (no standard definition of foreskin; no definable structure to excise) all combine to ensure that the complication rate is inherently fairly high. It's an inexact science practiced on healthy newborns with no medical indication or measurement of efficacy. But then, it's a cultural practice, not evidence-based medicine.
[/FONT]

dominiman

Just Browsing
Media
Funny, why do you care so much about the Circumcision complications when you are uncut and never want to be cut?

Yes, there are complications if the one who is going to cut you is dumb.

In our country, the complications of circumcision is non-existent.

Yes..... just like there are officially no homosexuals in your country! Funny

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Loooking at all these threads it is interesting to consider that a lot of european (and also asian) medical / life science researchers are sent to the US for varying periods of time to work and learn in local institutions.
Since "medical science" in the US does a lot of innovative but also a lot of crazy things (like unnecessary surgeries as mentioned above), many of these researchers learn what should and what should NOT be done and then try and not repeat these errors when back at home.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Loooking at all these threads it is interesting to consider that a lot of european (and also asian) medical / life science researchers are sent to the US for varying periods of time to work and learn in local institutions.
Since "medical science" in the US does a lot of innovative but also a lot of crazy things (like unnecessary surgeries as mentioned above), many of these researchers learn what should and what should NOT be done and then try and not repeat these errors when back at home.
South Korea is the latest case of U.S. circ influence. For some reason RIC hasn't taken off, but almost everyone is getting cut, even old men are getting cut for no reason at all. Monkey see, monkey do.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Euros are "economy" monkeys...
Yeah, follow the money trail. The noose through everyone's nose ring. There is a new outfit in my home state that wants in on the dollars [euros]:

Accu-Circ

I wonder if they make one big enough to fit over someone's head - so I could put it on the owner's head. The one on his shoulders.

Riven650

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was circumcised at age 30. I didn't need circumcision, I just wanted it done. The only complications I can think of were that a couple of the stitches pulled apart because of post-op erections. It was a fairly tight circ. and I was a bit shocked to find that it restricted the length of my erection - like I'd lost nearly an inch in erect length. OMG!! However, the surgeon assured me that the skin would stretch and that my cock would soon be back to it's former length. He was right, of course, but the skin stretching did pull some of the hairy skin at the base of my cock onto my shaft, which has to be plucked, and I guess it has a slight 'turkey neck' appearance as scrotal skin joins the underside of my cock. So, in retrospect, it would have been better if the surgeon hadn't cut quite so much skin off, but all in all, I'm very happy and would not want my foreskin back.

420p

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i had some bad complictaions with mine,

the night of the operation i was taken home from hospital i woke up to find my bed full of blood, got rushed back to hospital due to the blood loss.
Still to this day i haven't been back to a hopsital due to the events that happened

always been a hard and embarrasing event to talk about

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
i had some bad complictaions with mine,

the night of the operation i was taken home from hospital i woke up to find my bed full of blood, got rushed back to hospital due to the blood loss.
Still to this day i haven't been back to a hopsital due to the events that happened

always been a hard and embarrasing event to talk about
Sorry that happened to you 420p. Welcome to LPSG.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
I've had a couple of friends with complications, mostly superficial in nature. I compared penises with my friend when we were 5 and his looked like it was downright deformed, so he might have had other problems later. My other friend has no additional problems, and affectionately refers to his pointy penis as "Scarred Point Mountain". I've taken to calling him "Drill Bit". :tongue:

No physical complications on myself, besides the fact that it can take me so long to come that body cramping is involved. I also noticed that since I've begun restoring and regaining some sensation in my glans that I've started producing precum at relatively normal amounts (almost nonexistent prior). I really need to wear my foreskin restoration rig on a regular basis.

Aside from all that, I'm in the process of restoring, and I am kind of embarassed about it when talking with women. I was unpopular in high school and self conscious when I found out about the effects of circumcision as a young adult, so I've never actually had a real girlfriend. Now I've kind of put off being in a sexual relationship until I'm done restoring, which judging by other peoples' online journals of restoration means I'll be about 30 before I ever try to get a real girlfriend, if you can count that as damage.

That said, if I could find a girl I liked who approved of and supported my restoring process (as well as scritching my back, I love that :tongue:) I'd probably be all over her like white on rice.