Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
You should just watch how other people dance and try to copy them... you don't really need many moves... just a few good ones along with a few really simple ones. If you just stand in one place and move your body to the beat, that is pretty much all you really have to do. Also, dance in a crowded club... if the club is not crowded, find one that is.

This is sound advice for a person like you. You're not trying to do too much, but you are keeping up with the crowd.

As a caucasian... you need to work on your hip independence, which doesn't come easily to most white guys... it takes a lot of practice. Check this out for how to move your hips.

This, I disagree with sort of. A lot of white guys can dance because they practice. And every black person can't dance either:biggrin1:. So, don't believe that. That's the truth. If you want to learn how to dance, then you need to study it, especially for the type of dance that's done in clubs. I love music and I'm always listening to something. You need to find a way to integrate it more into your life if you want to become a better dancer. To move to a beat well, you have to feel the beat, become the beat.

Make sure that you can mimic a common dance move and know that you are doing a good mimic and then you'll be able to interpret your body to the rest of the music that you hear and you won't have to be invited in the 'group'. Your body language will naturally draw women to you. And just accept the fact that you can't dance now, and be willing to learn...and just feel it, become it. It will come to you...

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Make sure that you can mimic a common dance move and know that you are doing a good mimic and then you'll be able to interpret your body to the rest of the music that you hear and you won't have to be invited in the 'group'. Your body language will naturally draw women to you. And just accept the fact that you can't dance now, and be willing to learn...and just feel it, become it. It will come to you...
What do you mean exactly by "a common dance move"?

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I mean like a hot song that could be out at the current time and how everyone listens to that or it's all over the radio. The common dance move that everyone is doing to date. The waltz, the mambo, salsa...common. A dance that most people can do or relate to. A couple of years ago, that Soulja Boy dance was common. The Butterfly, the Perculator, I can't even remember the names of anything...even if they have names. That's what I mean by common. I hope that helps.

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Sometimes PK, I don't think it really matters. At least you seem willing to learn and some girls love nothing more than to teach a willing novice like yourself even in a club; some may even find it appealing.

I say screw it if you are having fun what you need to get over is "everyone is looking at me being clumsy"....

One way to learn is to keep trying. You would be amazed at the number of willing "instructors" who would be more than happy to accomodate you (no pun intended).

heist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As far as hip and shoulder movements go, hip hop is pretty good -- it can really teach you how to consciously separate your body into movable sections instead of a clumpy mass. The best part about most dances is that you can learn just one style and apply the principles to your body movement in general.

Also, you may feel silly at first, but you should practice in front of a mirror -- say, when you brush your teeth or whatever. It can help you start visualizing how you look when you do a certain movement (and alter it so it looks even better), so eventually you can feel more confident that you don't necessarily look bad.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Remember that nobody is going to think about how bad a dancer you are and they are certainly not going to go home and think about how bad you were. Just don't worry what other people think when you are on the dance floor. I feel the same way you do. I am tall and big and think I am going to accidentally hit people if I try to let loose and dance.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
First things first, listen to the beat. Try to move in time to it. Don't try to hit every beat. Vary your rhythm, but keep to rhythm of the music. Counting can help although that can make things very stilted. Relax, especially your lower spine and hips. Don't make the mistake of just doing hip thrusts etc. I think the best advice I've been given is to dance like no-one's watching. Chances are no-one is except for the person you're dancing with. Try mirroring/copying her moves.

There are some daytime dance classes. It might be worth looking into that. Just Google dance classes in your area. Another point with daytime classes is that you're probably going to be the only guy there, so be ready for that. You may also find that the women who go to them are older, but, as with sex, an experienced dance partner who can teach you a few moves is way better than one who hasn't a clue.