Did you first do it by choice and have you ever considered saying enough is enough?

Number 9

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
If you wear makeup, have you ever considered saying the hell with it? I’m in no way trying to be or come off sounding judgy. I know everybody should be who they want and do what they like to find their happy and feel whole.

I’ve always been more drawn to women that are comfortable wearing little or no makeup. It’s not to say that I don’t find women that enjoy or maybe feel more comfortable wearing it very attractive as well. It’s just the past few years I’ve looked closer at how we are pressured to present ourselves or act in certain ways, men as well as women.

I’m sure there was pressure and some desire to fit in when you were very young in school and the same type unrealistic stereotype shit just piles on as life continues. Have you ever or ever wanted to just said screw it, accept me for me?

In my case, I when I worked I always “tried” to dress appropriately for my position but no pressure to do so. When I finally said I had enough and retired, I started back at school taking art classes. Now, I catch some of the other students giving me a second look. I think sometimes they feel bad for me but I’m just smiling and cordial. Honestly, I’m happy, covered in clay and a mess, but happy.

You all have it coming at you from every direction from work, family, friends, and expected to look “perfect”, whatever the fuck that is on any given day. Do you ever question it all?

(Yeah, I’m chatty, had to take a couple pain killers after hurting my back a couple weeks ago. Sorry)

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
3/4 of the time I wear no make -up at all, the rest of the time it's very little and it takes me less than 5 minutes to apply it. The little I wear evens out skin tone like under my eyes. I don't want to look...made up. Also, maybe neutral tone eye shadow on occasion.

Wannabee

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you wear makeup, have you ever considered saying the hell with it? I’m in no way trying to be or come off sounding judgy. I know everybody should be who they want and do what they like to find their happy and feel whole.

I’ve always been more drawn to women that are comfortable wearing little or no makeup. It’s not to say that I don’t find women that enjoy or maybe feel more comfortable wearing it very attractive as well. It’s just the past few years I’ve looked closer at how we are pressured to present ourselves or act in certain ways, men as well as women.

I’m sure there was pressure and some desire to fit in when you were very young in school and the same type unrealistic stereotype shit just piles on as life continues. Have you ever or ever wanted to just said screw it, accept me for me?

In my case, I when I worked I always “tried” to dress appropriately for my position but no pressure to do so. When I finally said I had enough and retired, I started back at school taking art classes. Now, I catch some of the other students giving me a second look. I think sometimes they feel bad for me but I’m just smiling and cordial. Honestly, I’m happy, covered in clay and a mess, but happy.

You all have it coming at you from every direction from work, family, friends, and expected to look “perfect”, whatever the fuck that is on any given day. Do you ever question it all?

(Yeah, I’m chatty, had to take a couple pain killers after hurting my back a couple weeks ago. Sorry)
Social media has ruined women pushing them to use so many fake ad-ons when preparing their faces, bodies etc. I like natural and while I don't mind make up like to see what God has given them. In the past I have dated women who are to worried about how they are perceived and tend to go over board. So in saying that because I don't want to belittle it's a wash and usually doesn't go any further. These days I see the way they dress as an issue also because there's some that shouldn't be wearing those stretchy black pants that usually don't hide a thing as they don't have the physic to wear them. I guess it's modesty that's gone out the window!

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I used to wear makeup everyday. Sometimes a "natural glow", sometimes I'd put a whole-ass rainbow all over my face. I did what I liked and what was fun for me to apply... comfortable to wear for whatever I was doing that day. I didn't do it for anyone but me.

These days I hardly ever wear makeup. When I finally get my job back (I'll tell ya more about that in a more appropriate place) I'm gonna go back with my face done just to make my reentering into the industry a lil more fun for myself. But day to day I don't wear makeup anymore. I just kinda stopped. After I lost my daughter I just kinda gave up on a lot of things for some time. Then I decided she wouldn't want me to do that to myself so I still get done up once in awhile just for fun or for an occasion. But I don't wear it daily anymore like I did before.

The other day I put on a full face to go absolutely nowhere and it was fun as fuck.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Makeup serves a couple of functions for me. I use to wear a simple makeup for work - nothing excessive or time consuming. It just made me feel ‘finished’ or more polished. I felt good leaving for the office - nails polished, dressed well, hair finished and wearing light makeup.

The other function is self expression. I have loved playing/experimenting with makeup most of my life. I love watching tutorials, collecting good items, different palettes, trying new techniques, and colours. It’s fun! I’m on the cusp of seniorhood, but I still like trying interesting looks.

That being said, I am comfortable not wearing any makeup at all. It really depends on my mood. I have always worn makeup to please myself. When men say their preference is ‘no makeup’ I just laugh. I couldn’t possibly care less about their opinion. You don’t like makeup? Don’t wear it, dude. My face has nothing to do with you.

Number 9

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Makeup serves a couple of functions for me. I use to wear a simple makeup for work - nothing excessive or time consuming. It just made me feel ‘finished’ or more polished. I felt good leaving for the office - nails polished, dressed well, hair finished and wearing light makeup.

The other function is self expression. I have loved playing/experimenting with makeup most of my life. I love watching tutorials, collecting good items, different palettes, trying new techniques, and colours. It’s fun! I’m on the cusp of seniorhood, but I still like trying interesting looks.

That being said, I am comfortable not wearing any makeup at all. It really depends on my mood. I have always worn makeup to please myself. When men say their preference is ‘no makeup’ I just laugh. I couldn’t possibly care less about their opinion. You don’t like makeup? Don’t wear it, dude. My face has nothing to do with you.
I certainly didn’t mean to suggest a right or wrong opinion about any type preferences at all. If it sounded that way it was unintended. My interest was actually to understand if you all felt pressured to start using it at a young age and throughout your careers. I was also curious if one did feel that pressure early on if they reached a point that they just didn’t give a darn.

My curiosity came up after seeing the proliferation of digital filters on other social media apps like insta. Many of them seem to fill the same purpose for presentation.

Not being what one would consider attractive as a young man was something of an issue for me but then I didn’t face the same stigmas young women did to be attractive so long as I was fit.

As I hit my 40’s the fact that I was unattractive wasn’t just not an issue it actually became a benefit. I just didn’t have to care the way I saw my better looking friends did. One of them was completely crushed when a younger woman treated age appropriate. As Ive aged I’m only concerned with who I am as a person and my artwork. Not caring about what others think(at all) is a real gift.
Sorry if it seemed I had an opinion on how others so view or present themselves.

Number 9

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I used to wear makeup everyday. Sometimes a "natural glow", sometimes I'd put a whole-ass rainbow all over my face. I did what I liked and what was fun for me to apply... comfortable to wear for whatever I was doing that day. I didn't do it for anyone but me.

These days I hardly ever wear makeup. When I finally get my job back (I'll tell ya more about that in a more appropriate place) I'm gonna go back with my face done just to make my reentering into the industry a lil more fun for myself. But day to day I don't wear makeup anymore. I just kinda stopped. After I lost my daughter I just kinda gave up on a lot of things for some time. Then I decided she wouldn't want me to do that to myself so I still get done up once in awhile just for fun or for an occasion. But I don't wear it daily anymore like I did before.

The other day I put on a full face to go absolutely nowhere and it was fun as fuck.
And that it makes you feel really good and makes you happy is a fantastic reason to use it and helps me to better understand another side.

I honestly never considered that side of it since so often I hearing about the unrealistic female body image the media parades and pushes on all women and girls. Once again I was only given one side and I bit on it like a hungry dog.

I always can trust you to give me your honest take on things and as always I appreciate your help understanding. Thank you!

Reactions: asdfjkllp

Number 9

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
3/4 of the time I wear no make -up at all, the rest of the time it's very little and it takes me less than 5 minutes to apply it. The little I wear evens out skin tone like under my eyes. I don't want to look...made up. Also, maybe neutral tone eye shadow on occasion.
Thank you very much! I’m guessing by your response you never really felt pressured to wear it at all?

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thank you very much! I’m guessing by your response you never really felt pressured to wear it at all?
I have gone through different phases in my life where I have worn more make up than I do now. Certain phases, I wore it everyday it just was not really noticeable to many people. I never went through the overboard stages many did. Other than special events, I don't think it's ever taken me more than 5- 7 min to do all of my make-up. Foundation, eye shadow, brows, mascara, lip balm/lipstick.

My time doing other things has been more important than spending time doing make up. I would rather spend time with people, doing activities, and getting my tasks done. I will say even on dates, I don't add more make up or spend more time. Either someone likes me or they don't. It's not about the make-up! So, no I won't feel the pressure to wear things. I am at an age, I will be comfortable in my own skin :)

Holly Doors

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I've always worn a lotta makeup, even foundation my chest to hide blotchy skin and veins it's just something I've always done when I've felt the need.
I like to look glam to some extent, I guess I've got less fussy about clothes or wearing a bra these days but still like to do my hair and makeup.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We had a friend who lost his wife suddenly. We brought a meal for the family one evening, and he invited us to stay. He just wanted adult company.

One thing that that struck me strange was that he confessed one of the things he misses the most is seeing a woman without makeup.

Huh?

Waking up next to the person you love with no barrier between you and her natural beauty was something dear to him.

I almost cried. It almost made me want to go and take my makeup off!

I don't wear a lot. I've worked hard for these laugh lines and wrinkles!

Now every so often I'll put on the Ritz if we're going to parties or special occasions.

But if I know I'll see Hugh again I won't wear any.

Number 9

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Exactly.

You know, we have been marry 40 years. That a hell of a long time in most any book and we have had plenty of downs to go with the ups in our life together. Our parents messed us both up significantly. Her mom was a compulsive serial lair and it has always informed the way my wife has reacted in certain situations. In my case, I’m just the opposite. It is almost painful for me not to be completely up front.

In some odd way always seeing her without makeup is a bit therapeutic and reassuring. There’s a small slice of complete honesty in it and she knows when I look at her I love her for exactly who she is.

There are aspects about her and the way she thinks that I know I’ll never know what’s absolutely real or not but her mother did that to her and I was born with almost endless patience. So, it is what it is.

Indelicate

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
We had a friend who lost his wife suddenly. We brought a meal for the family one evening, and he invited us to stay. He just wanted adult company.

One thing that that struck me strange was that he confessed one of the things he misses the most is seeing a woman without makeup.

Huh?

Waking up next to the person you love with no barrier between you and her natural beauty was something dear to him.

I almost cried. It almost made me want to go and take my makeup off!

I don't wear a lot. I've worked hard for these laugh lines and wrinkles!

Now every so often I'll put on the Ritz if we're going to parties or special occasions.

But if I know I'll see Hugh again I won't wear any.
You are a wonderful woman, Ellie!
Indy

Reactions: EllieP and ronin001