Do you IKEA?

Yes, i remember jason_, i thought it looked quite nice :biggrin1: hehe, just kidding mate.

Ikea is good i guess for a tight budget, starting up home etc, but not for me.

I've got exceptional taste, just not an exceptional bank account.

I believe in saving up to buy one good piece of furniture at a time. It should last my lifetime.

I'm from one of those families where you inherit a boatload of antiques at some point. The irony is all my family live well into their 90s.

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I bought my bed & dresser from IKEA about 4 yrs ago...both are holding up well...

My entire kitchen is IKEA, too...the cabinetry seems to be pretty sturdy...but I only need it to look nice until I sell my house, which should be within the next 6 months...

unique_exposure

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
For small household items they rock....for furniture you are better off at Goodwill :rolleyes:

Here is a set of IKEA 'Tidy Up' commercials that are hilarious

YouTube - IKEA Tidy Up Banned Commercials

Those are great, haha.

This one is really funny too:
YouTube - Banned Ikea Commercial - Balls
(though I'm sure it pisses someone off, somewhere...)

My eat-in kitchen table is IKEA, it is made of incredibly sturdy, thick wood, unlike most other IKEA things I have bought. Have some contemporary smaller side tables from there which have held up as well.

They have some great random finds which you can only catch at the local store.

For small household items they rock....for furniture you are better off at Goodwill :rolleyes:

Here is a set of IKEA 'Tidy Up' commercials that are hilarious

YouTube - IKEA Tidy Up Banned Commercials

Those are great, haha.

This one is really funny too:
YouTube - Banned Ikea Commercial - Balls
(though I'm sure it pisses someone off, somewhere...)

My eat-in kitchen table is IKEA, it is made of incredibly sturdy, thick wood, unlike most other IKEA things I have bought. Have some contemporary smaller side tables from there which have held up as well.

They have some great random finds which you can only catch at the local store.

Those commercials are great! How I wish we weren't so hung-up here in the US. Great finds!

Altairion

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think Ikea has a fair amount of stuff that is pretty useful, but things like beds, a lot of the kitchen items, etc. just aren't worth it compared to other stores. I think the stuff they specialize in (organization) can be really good from bookcases to closet storage. It's also fun to rework centerpieces every once and a while, and their little art section can provide some cool finishing touches when combined with higher quality frames and such.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think Ikea has a fair amount of stuff that is pretty useful, but things like beds, a lot of the kitchen items, etc. just aren't worth it compared to other stores. I think the stuff they specialize in (organization) can be really good from bookcases to closet storage. It's also fun to rework centerpieces every once and a while, and their little art section can provide some cool finishing touches when combined with higher quality frames and such.

I wonder how different the IKEA catalog in in different countries and how much they need to cater their selections for the country. Are the nick knacks and art they sell in Sweden the same as they sell in Hong Kong?

What is a centerpiece Altairion? Is that something that sits atop the mantle?

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Being on a smallish Island more than 1000 miles away from the mainland having Ikea here is a godsend. Although I'm not keen on a lot of their stuff we have to "make do" as choice is so limited here. Decent furniture is inordinately expensive on the Island.

numberseven

Just Browsing
Media
I love IKEA, but am a little frustrated because I have an ongoing battle with their customer service. :0P It's a love/hate relationship now, instead of love/love, but most of the problems are my fault, so I can laugh about it instead of being totally aggravated.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You couldn't pay me enough to go to IKEA. I get my furniture the proper way-I wait for some idiot who pays too much in rent to have to vacate their abode in the middle of the night (because they cannot afford the rent). The furniture is tossed on the street and I take what I want. The furniture is already assembled, and I don't have to wait on line to pay absurd prices, neither do I have to pay the cost of gas to lug the crap home.

I've also gotten some lovely lighting fixtures, dinnerware, a full set of silverware (and it is silver, not just plated), books, radios, televisions, DVD player-still in the original packing-and many other things as well. including jewelry-silver, gold and plated, with and without stones. Once I came across a silver keyring from Tiffany's. Not quie my thing; but, it made an impressive gift (and not to worry, you can locate boxes from Tiffany's as well). A friend of mine picked up an antique chandelier a few years back-he sold it to the local antiques dealer for a tidy sum. Makes me mad to look back and realize that I could have had that money if I hadn't been so caught in my own thoughts.

The streets may not be paved with gold; but. it's close enough for me.

D

deleted957600

Being inside an IKEA is always a fun experience. Their products are appealing and the decorated rooms on the sales floor are so well thought out. I think IKEA has a lot of general appeal to a lot of different people.

I read in a review that if you like to redecorate every so often then IKEA would be perfect for that since it's inexpensive.

I have a wooden dining room table and hanging light above which were purchased from IKEA. The table was purchased about 10 years ago and I still have it. I also have a loft bed which has since been disassembled. And one thing I really like about their flat sheets (not fitted sheets) is that it consists of two sewn together.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
WOW! A thread just short of nine years old rises from the ashes.
If they are fun types of threads dig 'em up. It'll give the newbies something to read and contribute to.

They opened an IKEA in my metro area and I still haven't been to an IKEA yet! :mad:Although it would be a great way to kill a day with the endless wandering that you do in any furniture store. Maybe one day when I actually want some new furniture. :D

I miss earllogjam and flame boy, who have left the site. And RIP jason_els.:(

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
IKEA is great for the little things like organizers, cutting boards, kitchen gadgets, shelves, etc.
Larger high-use pieces of furniture, not so much. We had an IKEA bed that we had to repair almost every week because it kept falling apart :(

Inexpensive book cases or an end table I don't mind purchasing from Ikea. I get my major furniture pieces elsewhere, though. If I had the budget for it I would commission a family member to make me hardwood stuff. They do some gorgeous wood working.

Reactions: AlteredEgo