Do your co-workers HATE you?

jfrsndvs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
there are a few people who do hate me, that's ok with me, because I am not there for a popularity, I was parts manager until 3 weeks ago, and I was asked if I would be willing to transfer to the shipping/receiving department because the manager of that department has had some personel problems and my help was badly needed since I am a no-nonsense kind of guy when it comes to work, I don't mind a little joking around, but I want the work to be done in a good timely manner, there is one guy in particular that really dispises me, he is so damn slow, and likes to hide a lot, I made it a point to have him working near me, couple of weeks ago, he got to the point where his work was hardly touched, I told him that I had to get some chaulk, and he asked me for what, and I told him that he moved so damn slow that I need to outline his body to check for movement like at a crime scene, he sure didn't like that any, and picked up the pace quite a bit, and then the other day he started to slow down some more, and I had to tell him, that I was turning up the heat because molasses moves faster when it's warm, and boy howdy did I get the dirtiest look, but he again started to pick up the pace again.

there are a few others sho are not my biggest fans either, I am one of those who says what's on my mind, and I don't back down that easy, in time, the problems with the personel in the shipping/receiving department will dwindle down to a minimum, it will take some time, the manager of the shipping/receiving department asked me for my opinion (mistake on his part), and I had to flat out tell him that he was the main part of the problem, he is either friends with some of the people in his department, or just threatens the others with write ups, hell all the threats and write ups won't solve any problems, I told him that he needs to supervise his crew, and quit being friends with certain ones at work, and quit threatening the others, he needs to take action, not just on a few, but on all in his department, well I am now on his list, oh well, he will just have to get over it, because from the way he is running his department, it looks as if I am gonna be there for a while, because that idiot can't run his own department, and has to have help, pretty damn sad in my opinion.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
Gisella said:
:hug: Big hug to you Dannyhorse

While you hunt for jobs, you have fun with us at LPSG!!!:wink:

Best wishes to you!!!:smile:
Thanks Gisella! That means a lot... being unemployed sucks. Not entirely unemployed, though - I have a part time gig schlepping, of all things, corporate breakfast/lunch catering for cash. But people still give you the eyeball when they find out you're un/underemployed.

"I lost my job the other day... well no, that's not true, I know where my job is still... it's just that when I go there, there's this new guy doin it." - Bobcat Goldthwaite

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Every company has it's share of those that are ubber narcissistic, but as for co-workers that dislike others, how can you expect some of them to like another, when they don't even like themselves ?

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, a lot of people in my new department are really cool. I think I actually get along with everyone . . . even ones I don't have daily interactions with. (Sorry for ending with a preposition, Alex).

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think I get along with everybody. I am cival, I talk and joke with them, people have said nice things to me, and I to them. Sometimes I don't always respect all of my coworkers, but that's a different issue. I will socialize outside of work casually with some of them, and have made some minor friendships with some. But I do NOT make close friendships with coworkers--it is too dangerous for both of you--if you are too close, you can screw up each other's careers by a misstep. Don't shit where you eat is a motto I try to live by.

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
davidjh7 said:
I think I get along with everybody. I am cival, I talk and joke with them, people have said nice things to me, and I to them. Sometimes I don't always respect all of my coworkers, but that's a different issue. I will socialize outside of work casually with some of them, and have made some minor friendships with some. But I do NOT make close friendships with coworkers--it is too dangerous for both of you--if you are too close, you can screw up each other's careers by a misstep. Don't shit where you eat is a motto I try to live by.

Agreed. Except for a very, very few exceptions [two, to be precise], I do not form close friendships with people at work.

I'm also very, very selective (and wary) about recommending friends for jobs. That, I've only done it once or twice.

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
dannyhorse said:
Earlier this year I was laid off from a 5+ year gig in management for a grossly bloated telecom. It was a good job, save for the cattiness/gossip/petty politics. The M/F ratio was maybe 1M:5F and very racially diverse, and I often found difficulties in managing tasks/people due to petty issues. I'm of the opinion that a ulterior motive of my job cut was due to immediate upper management recognizing that I didn't "play the game" and participate in the politics/gossip - I just showed up, kicked out the jams, was civil/egalitarian/made water cooler talk/ate a piece of birthday cake when available, and went home - to socialize with people I chose to, not those I was thrown together with for 8+ hours a day, some of which who were suffering from serious social deficits (but still have their fuckin jobs :mad: ).

So here I am, bought my first home computer for the job hunt, and I'm on LPSG :rolleyes:

The bosses started telling us today there will be job cuts in the VERY, VERY near future due to lack of work and they need less than half the people to stay. Ive been there almost 5 years permanant and people have come after me so not sure how i will fare in the process..But i honestly do hope i get redundancy as i will walk away with a resonable pay packet and the good kick up the ass i need to start looking for a better job, i mean mimimum wage isnt really enough to survive on anyway.

Either way im only looking at it from a possitive view point..
change = new & better prospects

IM only looking at it from a possitive view

B_keira-eva

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Have you ever heard that the meaning of communication is the response it elicits? In plain English you get out what you put in. So perhaps if it is that bad it may be worth changing jobs and making a better first impression.

I believe I can find something in common with everyone and I always get on with people like a house on fire!

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Its not a matter of them hating me or me hating them.

Its a matter of me having to avoid them frequently in order to get my work done without additional headaches. They're not bad people, mind you, but their constant griping, gossiping, spying, sabotage, backstabbing and cliqueishness sucks time and energy from me. I want as little to do with that scene as possible.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
SpeedoGuy said:

Its a matter of me having to avoid them frequently in order to get my work done without additional headaches. They're not bad people, mind you, but their constant griping, gossiping, spying, sabotage, backstabbing and cliqueishness sucks time and energy from me. I want as little to do with that scene as possible.

Exactly ! I've never been around more people that have the solution to a problem, but no time to do it themselves. Sad part is you wind up having to explain it to them over and over again. One co-worker asked me which business units did and didn't submit data today. I told her, 4 submitted and listed them by name. Immediately after listing them, she asked me explicitly if the last one on the list had submitted their data. I clarified it as politely as I could and then she went ballistic on me and accused me of having a bad attitude. Some people just look for fights. This particular co-worker thinks I'm @ her beck and call for some reason. Looks like she came to Oz for a brain.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
SpeedoGuy said:

Whoa... scary, dudes - that was my m.o. too. Hard to explain "just find a way to do it within these rules/parameters" to someone who defaults to "I can't/won't do this/that because this other person..." All the while struggling to rephrase "Yeah, right, whatever, just get over yourselves and cooperate enough so we can get this done and post rosy metrics/please superiors/better ourselves/go the fuck home."

Lee_M said:
The bosses started telling us today there will be job cuts in the VERY, VERY near future due to lack of work and they need less than half the people to stay. Ive been there almost 5 years permanant and people have come after me so not sure how i will fare in the process..But i honestly do hope i get redundancy as i will walk away with a resonable pay packet and the good kick up the ass i need to start looking for a better job, i mean mimimum wage isnt really enough to survive on anyway.

Either way im only looking at it from a possitive view point..
change = new & better prospects

IM only looking at it from a possitive view

Lee - take the packet and run. My severance helped pay for the fancy laptop I'm typing on right now :biggrin1:

The "job cuts" tune started a year after I was on board, and inhibited crucial career decisions for me - decisions in/out of my control over five years. But after having withstood numerous threats like that (which are sometimes just that - threats - and good/not good for productivity) I got owned. Still trying to kill what emotional investment I had in the place.

Heartening to hear you're handling it well and all the best to you.