Down the Shore....

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jersey fucking rocks can't beat those hot early summer mornings when someone wakes you up and says, "yo, get your shit on, WERE GOING DOWN THE SHORE!!!!!!!"

Two New York peculiarities:

People stand on line.

People sit on the stoop.

Both are remnants of our Dutch heritage.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This term pertains mainly to New Jersey. We say we are going "down the shore", when we are driving to the beach. Even if you are south and driving north you would say the same thing. I guess this is because the largest population areas are in the Northeast of the state and we have to go "down the shore."

In Florida I would say I am going to the beach.

Do you have a saying that is regional to your area?
I would respond but I have to go take a haircut.

Down the shore Up the shore what-ever-why would anyone want to go to the polluted beachs of Joisy? And why do we here in Joyville (NYC) call it Jersey and not New Jersey?

I go down the block whether going to the right or to the left, east or west, north or south. (although sometimes I go up the street)

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
... And why do we here in Joyville (NYC) call it Jersey and not New Jersey? ..
Its easier. And for the same reason Long Island is just "the island", and Westchester County is just Westchester.

The most famous odd one is in Northern New England where everyone traveling towards the shore says, "Down East'. That term comes from the sailing ship days when going north from Boston to the coast of Maine, you usually had the wind behind you. Similarly, (but not used these days) is the phrase used by Mainers when going south to Boston, which would be "Up to Boston" because of the constant headwind. Ayuh. Finest kind.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Central Virginia: when you get something down from a high shelf for someone you don't just 'get' it, you "reach" it: "Let me reach that for you!"

Also, when you give someone a ride in your car you "carry" them: "If you're going downtown will you carry me to the barber shop?"

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Central Virginia: when you get something down from a high shelf for someone you don't just 'get' it, you "reach" it: "Let me reach that for you!"

Also, when you give someone a ride in your car you "carry" them: "If you're going downtown will you carry me to the barber shop?"

I've also heard southerners say "I'm fixing to get me a samich" (sandwich)