Ebonics Translator

danerain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I dont know. White or black we all have slang talk. This is no big deal. Im white and if i said to you get some lotion because you all ashy would you know what im mean?:wink:

I am not ashy! I haven't been ashy since I was 15! I produce sebum, dammit. SEBUM!!!!!!!!

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am not ashy! I haven't beemn ashy since I was 15! I produce sebum, dammit. SEBUM!!!!!!!!
Oh my god! LoL:tongue: This is no different than valley girl talk or go down south and listen to the white slang. People amaze me.:wink: I know you am not ashy:cool:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That would be funnier if it actually worked. I thought the whole push for English/Ebonics bilingual education was a crock of shit.

I know it's possible to be fluent in both standard English and Ebonics. Our very own Lex is proof of that.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That would be funnier if it actually worked.

Agreed. I plugged in some dialogue from Transformers: The Movie to see what I could come up with, here are some examples:

A cursory evaluation of our technical capabilities indicates a distinct tactical deficiency.

translates to:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva] A cursory evaluation o' our technical capabilities indicates uh distinct tactical deficiency.
what the fuck sup now?

For a time, I had considered sparing your wretched little planet of Cybertron. But now, you shall witness its dismemberment!

translates to:

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva] For uh tyme, I had considered sparing yo' wretched little planet o' Cybertron. But now, ya shall witness its dismemberment! what 'chew thinking man?

Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy.

translates to:

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva] Coronation, Starscream? This iz bad comedy. an don't make me pull mah gat![/FONT]

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
That would be funnier if it actually worked. I thought the whole push for English/Ebonics bilingual education was a crock of shit.
I agree with you there. LoL.
DC_DEEP said:
I know it's possible to be fluent in both standard English and Ebonics. Our very own Lex is proof of that.
*shudder* Token joke!
LMAO! Ebonics or the 80'?.
Well...since I was born in the mid-80's...I'd have to go with Ebonics, for $500!!
naughty said:
Do you usually understand what I am saying? Yes? Well, then that is the only ebonics translator you need.
Pretty much. "Ebonics" was a horribly named language that was nothing more than a dialect. Ebony-phonics? Ebon-ics...come on! >_<

:rolleyes:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
<...>
Pretty much. "Ebonics" was a horribly named language that was nothing more than a dialect. Ebony-phonics? Ebon-ics...come on! >_<

:rolleyes:
And an excuse to avoid working/trying/striving.

I don't understand no math, cuz they don't teach it in ebonics.

and playa, I have seen you switch gears in mid-post, too. So Lex isn't our only token. I think I would have to include you, naughty, njqt, goneA, and AlteredEgo. I only speak "ebonics as a second language" and only at a beginner's level, so I can't be considered "fluent."

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
and playa, I have seen you switch gears in mid-post, too. So Lex isn't our only token. I think I would have to include you, naughty, njqt, goneA, and AlteredEgo. I only speak "ebonics as a second language" and only at a beginner's level, so I can't be considered "fluent."
LMAO!

You can't prove it, tho'!

>_>

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
back in the 80's kids went high school to learn Ebonics. Ebonics was big in the 80's!!!

You're a decade off. The term originated in the 1970's, but it wasn't until 1996 that the Oakland (CA) Unified School District first used the term in their literature, bringing the word "Ebonics" into national prominence.

What the school board did, by the way wasn't anything like "kids went high school to learn Ebonics". Oakland never taught Ebonics in their school system.

Oakland has a large Spanish-speaking population, and a successful school program for teaching English to children who did not hear English spoken at home. By calling Ebonics a "different language", Oakland made black students in their district eligible for this program. Their intent was to raise standardized test scores for black students, but the suggestion that their native language was something other than English was controversial and racially loaded (source). Making the situation worse was the fact that some media outlets mistakenly reported that Oakland was planning to teach Ebonics, which is why this myth is still floating around today.