Excessive Capitalization

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I dropped out of Mavis BEacon's computer tyiong school...

Right before I got to the part where you learn to do the numbers and captialization things...

Also... sometimes its just faster to captialize a word for emphasis rather than go back and select the word and click on the little buttons for underline and italicize...

and don't even think about suggesting that I learn to type the HTML tags on the fly... the parentheses and brackets keys were also in the section about capitalizations and number that I skipped.

On the wider issue... if something like another person's use of the shift key is really getting under your skin... try a hot bath and taking some zen meditation...

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
<...>
Also... sometimes its just faster to captialize a word for emphasis rather than go back and select the word and click on the little buttons for underline and italicize...

and don't even think about suggesting that I learn to type the HTML tags on the fly... the parentheses and brackets keys were also in the section about capitalizations and number that I skipped.

On the wider issue... if something like another person's use of the shift key is really getting under your skin... try a hot bath and taking some zen meditation...
Your posts are actually quite readable. But the point isn't that so many of us let the usage bother us, it's that we have great difficulty reading a post that we (otherwise) want to read.

njqt said:
I agree. I would like to believe these people have something worth saying but I honestly have no clue. I also detest those who write in an ebonics like dialect. I don't care if that's how you speak, it's wrong and it makes you look stupid.
Occasional use of "type as you speak" or "type in an accent" to make a point is one thing, often humorous. But when that's someone's entire writing style, it's beyond annoying.

An if ennyone doan like it none, I finna take em.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Yes, the excessive capitalization is annoying, only slightly less-so than the trend a few years back, where cApItalIZaTiOn WaS rAnDoM.

There are some thing's I see frequently in post's that are annoying, but there....are....other....things....
that....make....a....post....nearly....impossible...to....read.

I agree that some of the "language mavens" (often less-pleasantly referred to as grammar nazis or spelling nazis) get a little carried away in correcting the posts of others; the two most-often used excuses by the offenders are 1) it's only the internets, not a dissertation, so it doesn't matter, and 2) fuck off, I'll type as I please.

Sometimes, though, even though I really want to read a post, my eyes and brain flatly refuse to process such poorly constructed posts. Lack of capitalization, excessive capitalization, all caps, no punctuation, over-punctuation, very poor grammar, very poor spelling, text-speak or leet-speak, and absence of paragraphing all make posts exceptionally difficult to read and decipher.

lol....I'm.....one.....of.....those.....people....that.......does......this.... I am trying to make an effort to not type like this, but I can't be perfect. I can't stand it when SOMEONE TYPES IN ALL CAPS I don't like being screamed at in person or online

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Yes, the excessive capitalization is annoying, only slightly less-so than the trend a few years back, where cApItalIZaTiOn WaS rAnDoM.
I HATE this form of typing I call it "the kidnapper." In movies kinapping notes always use this type of text. It is effective because it is brief and eye catching, and allows the reader to know the peson who devised the missive is a crazed criminal capable of anything. :tongue:

Kidnapper - I like it.

A peeve of mine".. not mentioned yet"... was the use of"... with no particular rhyme or reason"...quotation marks"... I swear".. I nearly".. lost my mind trying"..to read those posts.

Not typing related but *ahem* effed up quote tags...

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
jack99821, regarding the question in your signature: I don't know who John Galt is, but I know who Jon Galt is! Is that who you meant?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I going to have master dong20 talk to you, you lil' 's' Nazi.

Strictly (OED) It's a 'z'. Convention in the UK is to use an 's' as in capitalise. The American spelling is the correct one as with many of the other '-izes'. Outside the US -ize tends to be reserved to academia.

The 'rule' isn't absolute - it doesn't apply to verbs not of Greek origin. Such as; advertise, advise, apprise, arise, chastise, circumcise, incise, excise, comprise, compromise, demise, despise, devise, disguise, exercise, franchise, improvise, merchandise, revise, supervise, surmise, surprise, and televise - there may be more.

The spelling of prize for prise, is a US oddity.

Says the OED: "The suffix, whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Greek -&#953;&#950;&#949;&#953;&#957;, Latin -iz&#257;re; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling in -iser should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic."

But really, we've been down this road before, and apparently it's all eggcorns.:biggrin1:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
An US oddity. :rolleyes:

But I would write a US oddity - which is correct?

AN US

ANUS - get it?

A is correct. With a leading vowel it would be an but there are two exceptions that I know of - when the pronunciation of the initial letter being u as in 'you', or as w as in 'won'.

A one horse race, but an old nag's race.
An uprising, but a usurper.

Yes I got it, sadly.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Strictly (OED) It's a 'z'. Convention in the UK is to use an 's' as in capitalise. The American spelling is the correct one as with many of the other '-izes'. Outside the US -ize tends to be reserved to academia.

Excellent stuff, dong.

The spelling of prize for prise, is a US oddity.

Hmmm. I had no idea the Brits spelling of 'prize' is 'prise,' even for the noun. Wow.

But really, we've been down this road before, and apparently it's all eggcorns.:biggrin1:

No no no no no ... not the eggcorns thread.
The Hiroshima thread of LPSG.
But dong, your post was most informative, as I knew it would be.
And it reminds me of the principle behind those cases when the 'z' really is correct ... with words of Greek derivation.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Excellent stuff, dong.

Hmmm. I had no idea the Brits spelling of 'prize' is 'prise,' even for the noun. Wow.

No, I was referring only to the verb, not the noun. Sorry I should have been more explicit. I believe the verb of choice in the US is 'pry'.

No no no no no ... not the eggcorns thread.
The Hiroshima thread of LPSG.
But dong, your post was most informative, as I knew it would be.
And it reminds me of the principle behind those cases when the 'z' really is correct ... with words of Greek derivation.

From little eggcorns ...:smile:

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't even bother to read posts That Demonstrate This Issue. I assume they're not making a good point based on inability to communicate in a normal way. And whenever I have toiled to read one Written Like This I wind up agreeing with my original assumption. :cool:

Same thing with excessive use of "txt spk" - fine if you're sending me a text message from your phone, but if you've got a full-size keyboard in front of you and you're trying to clearly communicate with people, write the full fucking words. Otherwise you look like a moron or a 13 year old.

Grrrr

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
No, I was referring only to the verb, not the noun. Sorry I should have been more explicit. I believe the verb of choice in the US is 'pry'.

But apparently the Brits do sometimes spell the noun as 'prise.'
Or at least some people do.
Look here, dong, if you would.
(I just found that earlier when I read your post.)

From little eggcorns ...:smile:

... it was nuclear, that one. Nuclear.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't even bother to read posts That Demonstrate This Issue. I assume they're not making a good point based on inability to communicate in a normal way. And whenever I have toiled to read one Written Like This I wind up agreeing with my original assumption. :cool:

Same thing with excessive use of "txt spk" - fine if you're sending me a text message from your phone, but if you've got a full-size keyboard in front of you and you're trying to clearly communicate with people, write the full fucking words. Otherwise you look like a moron or a 13 year old. Grrrr

I agree.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But apparently the Brits do sometimes spell the noun as 'prise.'
Or at least some people do.
Look here, dong, if you would.
(I just found that earlier when I read your post.)

I don't recall ever seeing it, but you could be right, and my memory isn't what it was, I think.:biggrin1:

Are you sure that link is referencing a UK usage, it says it's based on "The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003"

This is the (compact) OED entry for Prise (no noun entry) Note the US reference, phew!:
prise

([SIZE=-1]US[/SIZE] prize)
• verb 1 use force in order to open or move apart. 2 (prise out of/from) obtain (something) from (someone) with effort or difficulty.

[SIZE=-1]— ORIGIN[/SIZE] from Old French prise ‘a grasp, taking hold’.

and,

prize

• noun 1 a thing given as a reward to a winner or in recognition of an outstanding achievement. 2 something of great value that is worth struggling to achieve.
• adjective 1 having been or likely to be awarded a prize. 2 outstanding of its kind.
• verb value highly.

I don't know why people get irate about some things. :cool: