family euphemisms

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As Memorial Day is on us I get a bit reflective about those who've gone before. Therefore I present the following bit of fluff.

This board is a cross section of many different areas and I'm interested to know what family euphemism others heard INCESSANTLY growing up.

Many are regional.

I hurl out four which I heard endlessly:

1) My grandmother at the end of a long dictatorial speech on how she felt about something "now try that on your harmonica".

2) "More to be pitied than censored" (when my brother and I were caught being too categorical about another human being).

... and the ever-popular

3) "EEEEEEEEEE gads and little fish hooks" as an exclamation when something was surpising in its outcome. (wish I new the derivation of that last one - I only heard it one other time when Talullah Bankhead said in a film, I believe, titled Lifeboat.

4) "She looks like she's been ridden hard and put away wet!" - a euphemism for a normally attractive woman who'd let herself go.

Certainly regional euphemisms abound in the States, in Canada, and beyond.

Share a few in memory our generational Memorial Day legacies from those who shaped us a human beings.

arthurdent

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Those are not euphemisms; they're just phrases, expressions or sayings.

A euphemism is an inoffensive word or phrase used to play-down another word or phrase. For example :

Using time of the month instead of period.
Using The Troubles to describe the conflict in Northern Ireland.
Using sleeping with instead of having sex with.
Using departed instead of dead.
Using relieve oneself instead of urinate.
Using incident to describe the attack on the twin towers.

Last edited:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
eu·phe·mism [ yfə mìzzəm ] (plural eu·phe·misms)
euphemism:

noun:
Definition: 1. less offensive synonym: a word or phrase used in place of a term that might be considered too direct, harsh, unpleasant, or offensive

2. use of inoffensive words: the use of a word or phrase that is more neutral, vague, or indirect to replace a direct, harsh, unpleasant, or offensive term.

-MSN encarta dictionary.

Nice to meet you too arthurdent.

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I haven't really thought about family or local euphemisms. I'l have to think about it. They probably seem so natural I don't think of them as been a family thing. But a couple that I can immediately recall.

1. Just a slight difference to Stronzo's "Eeeeee gads..." I've always heard it as "Eeeee gads and little fishes"

2. At the end of a phone conversation "Oakey Doakey, bye then"

3. My grandfather who was born in Cheshire/Yorkshire when he wanted us to be careful or as a warning would say "Mind that now" or just "Mind".

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
re canuck pa's comment ..

Yup here too. It's "mind your head" as you walk under that passageway. "It's low."

More and more though I'm hearing "watch out for your ..." rather than "mind".

To arthur:

Arthur? We're splitting hairs. You seem like a terribly nice fellow but I think you get the gist of the upbeat light weight nature of this thread. We needn't work it to death.

Can we simply address the topic at hand?

I wasn't expecting to be landed on for posting my first thread in a very long time.

Again. It's very nice to meet you.

Last edited:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know if these are any good, but I grew up hearing
"I raised you better than that why do you insist on acting like the Hoi Palloi?"
(If we were acting naughty)
If my mother was really angry at us all she had to say was "I mean really!" After that was said if we did not straighten up there would be trouble...really big trouble.
Another that I remember is "What's good for the goose is good for the gander!" Meaning that the way she was raised should be good enough for us.
Thats all I can remember for now!
Oh and like the one about the harmonica...I heard this a million times..."Put that in your pipe and smoke it!"

Last edited:

likes2seemore

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
"what will be will be,even if it happins in the middle of the night"..."don't barrow from tomorrow, there's plenty to worry about today"...if you are the victum of a abusive mate,"he has to sleep sometime".safety pin his ass between two sheets,and beat the shit out of him!...just a few of my moms old favs.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
but... but... but .. Meg and nude yorker? Did theyhe know what you had stashed in your bedside table? ;)

:eek: Who told you that was there? :wink:

Oh that made me think of another one...if we were moping...my mother would say..."Don't smile...you will crack your powder!" That always made us smile!

Haha. That sounds... so... girly :tongue:

When my mom was super duper angry, she'd tell us she was going to smack us into next week. For a woman that never laid a single hand on any of us, she sure did talk violently once in a while. :tongue:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can't believe I forgot this one. This is from my grandmother...if we asked a question that was abstract she would say "You will see what you see when you see it!"

Amber1

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yup.... London saying my Mum taught me.....

"I wouldn't cross the road to piss on you if you were on fire!!!"

Well its a putdown really and I've used it on a few deserving people!!

another favourite of mine is "your/she/he is no oil painting!!"

or as it is expressed "Well have YOU looked in the mirror lately love??? Cos your no oil painting!!!"

Oh also they are not euphemisms but all the boys in my family tend to be referred to as his lordship and my nickname is madam!!

Media
"How do you like them apples?" was reserved by parents for that special occasion as a child when you did something incredibly stupid and it didn't go your way.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh that made me think of another one...if we were moping...my mother would say..."Don't smile...you will crack your powder!" That always made us smile!

:eek: Now my mother did NOT say that but I gotta tell you she certainly would have had she known it.

That's a hoot!

My old Boston buddy Tim O'Hearn (now gone alas ) was VERY into his appearance. If anyone went near his coiff he'd bellow "do NOT touch my hair. You'll break a nail".

God how I miss him.

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Euphemisms
just think of all the pollitically correct stuff.
Use this phrase and replace the last word.
"Let's just say he is/ has ...."

Retarded = special
ugly = unique look
handicapped = handicapable, faces more challenges
fat = heavy, large, heavy set, thick, bigger, robust, big boned
old = mature
dumb = inexperianced in that area
midgets = God's special people
pimple faced = ate too much chocolate
flat chested = perky
big breasted = volumptuous

Hope this helps. Now come out with some more.

Last edited: