General Anaesthetic

You could always opt for a bone and a bottle of bourbon.

The nearest I've come to GA or hospital was as a kid at the dentist with the gas....I wonder if you'll get a lollipop too?

Pup, you'll be fine.
 
I'm weird but I kind of enjoy the feeling of "going under"......and the first word out of your mouth when you wake up should be"ouch".....then the nurse will immediately give you the "good drugs"...maybe I have a problem?

It blew my mind that I was barely alive to experience the hour and a half I was out..
 
Like everyone else here, I've been under general several times with never a problem. You'll be fine, RP.
 
I've had general anesthesia twice and an epidural with no conscious sedation once. With my second general, I had a heart arrhythmia while in surgery. I was put in the ICU overnight and I was fine. Because of that, I was very afraid of anaesthesia for my third surgery, which I discussed with both my physician beforehand and the anaesthesiologist before the procedure. That really put my mind at ease, and TBH if the third surgery hadn't been the birth of my son I would have preferred general.

I would recommend what one of the other posters said and ask for some xanax or other anxiolytic so you can sleep the night before surgery and get there without being a complete wreck. Xanax is your friend.
 
Dude... here's how it will go down...

You may remember them asking you to count backward from 100 and getting to 97 or from 1 to 100 and getting to 2.

Then you'll wake up and the bitch will be that you want to go back to sleep and they won't let you or you'll want to get up and walk out and they won't let you do that either.

you'll be fine.
 
Wish me luck, I go under a general anesthetic on Friday.

I've been under a few times in the past. They usually leave me a bit naseous for a few hours afterward. I sometimes also get unexplained chills and hot flashes for several days following.
 
While in the pre anesthesia room, the nurses there try to make you feel at ease. I was absolutely tripping. One nurse asked me, "How are you doing". I explained, "I would be better if I were in the South Pacific." I remember nothing else past that. But when I was to myself my doctor said do you recall anything you said because you were cracking us up.

So the medicine will make you feel pretty good, be glad, be very glad. And as said before- the little button on the morphine pump will be your best friend after the anesthesia wears off. Or what ever pain medication they give you.

Just think soon you will be on here sharing your experience with all of us.
 
I've never had it. My sister had it to have her gall bladder removed laparoscopically. She was worried that she would die while under anesthesia. I told her she would be fine, and she was. I'm sure you will be fine too.
 
Thank you all for your posts. You give credit to the word support in this sites name.

I'm a little releived to know a general anaesthetic passes instantly, you close your eyes one second and then you open them and it's all done with.

I will make an appointment to see my doctor in the next couple of months to get this checked out. I've self diagnosed myself as having a femoral hernia...

Femoral hernia - causes, symptoms, complications of surgery

I don't think i did anything to cause it, these type of hernia can just happen as i understand it or even, as in my case, be dormant for a long long time before you suspect it.

I may have always had it.

I found it, oddly enough, from another thread on here about doctors holding your balls and asking you to cough. I wanted to know what this was about as we don't have this as a routine check in the UK. So I did some research. Turns out, if you can feel a heavy pulsing, a strong throbbing like something pushing against your hand when you cough, you are feeling intestine.

I didn't have this in my sack, but did feel it above my cock about 3/4" up and to the right 3/4", in the top V of my thigh and this is where men and women get a femoral hernia.

Put your hand firmly, flatly against this area and cough, it you feel something the size of a large grape flicking back against your hand as you cough, you most likely have a femoral hernia.

Further research shows it's not a problem and very common but does carry the risk of the bit of instetine poking through getting twisted and strangulated, which then requires immediate surgery to correct.

I'm not in pain, just mildly aware of something different and it probably is a femoral hernia, all be it a very small one.

I will keep you all posted on the progree of this and would like to once again say thank you to everyone how posted on this.

I'm still afraid, of having an anaesthetic for the first time, of the surgery and of being alone through the whole thing, but hearing what you guys have said makes me feel a little more in the know about what to expect and that quietens the fear of the unknown.

Thanks guys, Pup, x
 
I'm still afraid, of having an anaesthetic for the first time, of the surgery and of being alone through the whole thing, but hearing what you guys have said makes me feel a little more in the know about what to expect and that quietens the fear of the unknown.

One thing I found during my last procedure was a feeling of aloneness just prior to being put under. To my surprise, as the mask was being prepped for my face, one of the nurses put a kindly hand on my shoulder and held it gently to quell my anxiety. It was a small, but very human, gesture of empathy that I remembered.
 
Had a General about half a dozen times in my life.

Terrifying ordeal for me as I slip from consciousness and feel all control disappear (I wonder if we defecate/urinate and are cleaned up before we come round).

I'd go Local every time given a choice.

Fully understand your concerns and wish you luck with your OP.

Once out, by the way, the rest is a piece of cake. Only trouble is, I'm always aggressive in post-op. It affects some that way (the same as alcohol can, I guess).