Global warming. Really?

UpwardCurve

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Of course. No one will talk about how global warming is huge money, and obscenely greedy investment backs like Goldman Sachs have already heavily invested in carbon trading (which will gross billions, if not trillions).

Of course, people today cant think for themselves. They are just lemmings for what their box in their living room tells them to believe.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Seems a bit strange. Record-setting cold temps and obscene levels of rainfall.

Is global warming on sabbatical, or is there a reasonable explanation to this spring/summer?

Ignoring the fact that GW is regarded (at least among intelligent folks) as a climactic trend and not a weather phenomenon...:rolleyes:...perhaps you missed the fact that Austin has been in the grips of a record-breaking heat wave for the past six weeks, or that the entire state is currently enjoying the most severe drought on record.

Last edited:

MysticNight

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Being a meteorology major, this topic gets on my nerves haha. I can't say I entirely believe in it either, but I do know that global warming effects everything, from heavier rain, to droughts, to hurricanes, to cold. Because of this, it's extremely hard to tell if the earth is warming due to people or a natural cycle. Personally, I believe it's a natural cycle, because it's happened in the past. Droughts happen, records happen, rain happens, no matter if its an ice age or a warm globe. Either way, people are pumping more crap into the air, and it may be effecting temps a little, but I don't think it's 100% of the reason for it.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I think it depends upon where you live. It was fucking hot (how hot is that?) about 40 C degrees + today, not including the humidity index making it feel like 44 C. Although this has happened before, the next week promises more of the same. There was also an interesting bit of science news on local BCN TV that the water in the harbor appears to be 8 Centimeters higher than last year. It still needs to be verified, because various things than cause the harbor to rise. Still, 8 centimeters is a lot.

And sorry, Hazelgod, as an ancient graduate of U.T. Austin, you have my deepest sympathy. Still, Texas often deserves an insufferable heat wave to compensate for its sins. Even in 1980 I couldn't go running until about 10:00 PM or at least 30 minutes after dark. In BCN we get regular updates on the general surface temperature in places like the Sudan. I believe they quote those 45-47 C temperatures just so the locals won't bitch so much. Still, we bitch.

Last edited:

D_Stanford Dedwillie III

Just Browsing
Media
Ignoring the fact that GW is regarded (at least among intelligent folks) as a climactic trend and not a weather phenomenon...:rolleyes:...perhaps you missed the fact that Austin has been in the grips of a record-breaking heat wave for the past six weeks, or that the entire state is currently enjoying the most severe drought on record.

Sorry to hear that about Austin, TX. Hopefully some of the daily torrential downpours and record-setting cold temperatures from the other 49 states across the U.S. will move into Austin, TX soon. :rolleyes:

Thank you, however, climatic trends would be moving toward higher temps under the global warming theory - would they not?

Null hypothesis?

D_Stanford Dedwillie III

Just Browsing
Media
And sorry, Hazelgod, as an ancient graduate of U.T. Austin, you have my deepest sympathy. Still, Texas often deserves an insufferable heat wave to compensate for its sins. Even in 1980 I couldn't go running until about 10:00 PM or at least 30 minutes after dark. In BCN we get regular updates on the general surface temperature in places like the Sudan. I believe they quote those 45-47 C temperatures just so the locals won't bitch so much. Still, we bitch.

I was in Austin for the July 4th weekend. Spent July 4th on Lake Travis at Devil's Cove...it was 105 degrees. Many of the local coeds dealt with the heat simply by going sans clothes.

Fascinating scenery by the way.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
One of the Modern things i do go along with OP'
seems evident there is some truth in it
There are those who say 'its a definite'
Compared to Well Known Authorative (ie scientists-who say and are convinced) otherwise.
(and no i DONT have evidence or research? as to what i am saying)
Give up seeking Perfection in the world .. some of ya,s
(It aint happening)
enz

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Right? CNN is reporting yet another heat-related death in the Sea-Tac area this week.

Thank you, however, climatic trends would be moving toward higher temps under the global warming theory - would they not?

They are.

I was in Austin for the July 4th weekend. Spent July 4th on Lake Travis at Devil's Cove...it was 105 degrees. Many of the local coeds dealt with the heat simply by going sans clothes.

Fascinating scenery by the way.

That's one reason I willingly endure the heat here. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

_chrizzian_

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I never thought that there are so many people nopt believing in a man-made climate change.... honestly, can so many carbon dioxid, pumped in the athmosphere be without an effect?!

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Obviously the Earth has gone through profound changes over it's history, and it would be ignorant or egoic to think that humans are the cause for whatever is believed to be happening. With that said, it does seem obvious that what we are doing to the world isn't exactly a positive thing; the human race has acted like a virus in consuming the planet.

With that said, I was always under the impression that "global warming" could also lead to a cooling effect in certain places. Something along the lines of all the melting ice in the polar regions wreaking havoc on the great conveyor belts that are our ocean currents, eventually leading to an ice age or mini ice age of sorts. I think people who think of global warming turning our planet into Venus or a desolate (but much hotter) desert version of Mars to be misinformed.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Obviously the Earth has gone through profound changes over it's history, and it would be ignorant or egoic to think that humans are the cause for whatever is believed to be happening.

OK, so what is your theory for the extreme increase in the carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere? The vast majority of the world's scientists await your words to educate them. Apparently they are mistaken in saying that combustion of fossil fuels (which are high in carbon) releases carbon into the atmosphere. Maybe the Tooth Fairy takes it and wraps it in daydreams and wishes and hids it under toadstools?:confused: It has to go somewhere, and the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is increasing at an incredible rate. Doesn't seem that big a stretch to say one is the cause and the other is the effect.

The scientific debate is OVER, people. Politicians still argue. Some laypeople still argue. Most of the early scientists who were doubters have now come around. As Mr. Rogers would put it -- "Can you say overwhelming scientific consensus?"

jmn5

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I think the changes are a result of orbit position on a cycle of 26,000 years which marks extreme changes before the sun passes the center point of our galaxy. Of course we orbit the sun but the sun orbits the galaxy. There are lots of theories for what might happen when the sun passes directly center to the center of the milky way which is a documented fact, a celestial event on 12/21/2012. Physicists believe this will be a time of very strong solar flares that would have dire effects on our planet.

There are so many cycles that are very long range that human experience has not been around long enough to measure or contemplate. The sun's orbit is one of them. And it just so happens that this alignment will be center to the milky way's center which is a black hole. There is a lot of energy and radiation that emits directly in front of this body.

All I know is this warming may be met by a similar period of cooling after the orbit passes this mid point. The precession of the earth will change during this period so if you think that warming is a problem, just wait until the cooling cycle.

Then I suppose we will be back to the gas guzzlers again. (yea!) Al Gore may be eating his words if we all survive this change...

Google 2012 and precession to learn more...

Last edited:

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I DO believe that global warming/climate change is happening with only the reason for it not exactly known.
The evidence is there, the shrinkage in such a short space of time of the ice caps is enough to suggest that something is going on that, natural or not, is uncommon.