Global warming. Really?

jmn5

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I believe it is common. Just in longer cycles than we are aware of. Ever hear about the Wolly Mammoth they found flash frozen with vegetation in its mouth? Now that is extreme. Have no idea what caused it but as I said, we are drawing closer to a major celestial event. What will happen, no one truly knows. I personally will not worry about it. But it is a piece of evidence that exists out there. It may have some correlation to the speed up of weather changes over the last 20 years.

I DO believe that global warming/climate change is happening with only the reason for it not exactly known.
The evidence is there, the shrinkage in such a short space of time of the ice caps is enough to suggest that something is going on that, natural or not, is uncommon.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OK, so what is your theory for the extreme increase in the carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere? The vast majority of the world's scientists await your words to educate them. Apparently they are mistaken in saying that combustion of fossil fuels (which are high in carbon) releases carbon into the atmosphere. Maybe the Tooth Fairy takes it and wraps it in daydreams and wishes and hids it under toadstools?:confused: It has to go somewhere, and the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is increasing at an incredible rate. Doesn't seem that big a stretch to say one is the cause and the other is the effect.

The scientific debate is OVER, people. Politicians still argue. Some laypeople still argue. Most of the early scientists who were doubters have now come around. As Mr. Rogers would put it -- "Can you say overwhelming scientific consensus?"

Well, I don't think I ever said humans weren't responsible for the higher carbon levels in our atmosphere. Although I am pretty sure they weren't around for the last several hundred million years when the carbon dioxide content was between 5 and 20 times as high as it is now ;) I am not sure if you actually know anything about it, or just read the headlines, however. Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is considered a trace element and gets swallowed up by the oceans. It can be released into the atmosphere not only by the oceans themselves, but by essentially all living things on the Earth and their byproducts.

If you would have continued on reading my post you may have correctly inferred that I believe as the human race acts as a virus to the planet, natural resources are depleted and sure carbon levels rise. I don't think I ever said nor implied that humans have nothing to do with the destruction of our planet. But the main point of what I was saying, was that increase in Co2 may have little effect regarding the ultimate direction of Earth's climate. Earth has been hot in the past, and it has been cold in the past, and will continue to do as it must considering it is a living organism. We have never had the capabilities to measure such subtle and not so subtle effects caused by both natural changes and the changes caused by man.

Being that the Sun is truly the heart of all living and non living atoms in this solar system, it has the ultimate say in whatever our climate decides to do. Man releasing large amounts of Co2 into the atmosphere, even at "catastrophic" levels and rates, has no effect on what the Sun decides to put out. It may effect how our protective atmosphere deals with the incoming output from the Sun, however, but a man-made runaway greenhouse effect is probably a lot less likely to occur in the next 1,000 years or so than say a runaway greenhouse effect cause by a meteor impact, or an increase in volcanic activity, that would severely challenge man and his ability to survive on this world, and lead to REAL climate change.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think the changes are a result of orbit position on a cycle of 26,000 years which marks extreme changes before the sun passes the center point of our galaxy. Of course we orbit the sun but the sun orbits the galaxy. There are lots of theories for what might happen when the sun passes directly center to the center of the milky way which is a documented fact, a celestial event on 12/21/2012. Physicists believe this will be a time of very strong solar flares that would have dire effects on our planet.

There are so many cycles that are very long range that human experience has not been around long enough to measure or contemplate. The sun's orbit is one of them. And it just so happens that this alignment will be center to the milky way's center which is a black hole. There is a lot of energy and radiation that emits directly in front of this body.

All I know is this warming may be met by a similar period of cooling after the orbit passes this mid point. The precession of the earth will change during this period so if you think that warming is a problem, just wait until the cooling cycle.

Then I suppose we will be back to the gas guzzlers again. (yea!) Al Gore may be eating his words if we all survive this change...

Google 2012 and precession to learn more...

Actually, dude, physicists will dell you the the sun is ALWAYS aligned with the center of the universe. It is CONSTANTLY "passing the center point of the universe."

Take a ball, tie it to a string, and twirl the string in your fingers. The string is always straight - straight line to your fingers. That's what "orbit" means. An orbiting object is always aligned with the thing it orbits. Otherwise, it isn't orbiting.

*rolls eyes at the pseudoscientists*

Now, take a look at what we know about past climate change and how the changes took hundreds of years, not tens. Also, tell me why the mid-atlantic is currently dealing with a drought. Are we not part of the 49 states outside of Texas?

*shrugs at the pseudoscientists*

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
yea I perosnally believe its a complete skam, propaganda in the US anyway. I mean, the ice cap is not melting, and in fact expanding if you look at the facts. Even if it did melt, experts say the sea level would rise a MAXIMUM of 3 INCHES. (HOLY SHIT). Further more, that stupid hockey stick thing al gore shows is also complete shit. He took the average of every century except the last one (where he took the actual number instead). Naturally that would create a spike that doesn't actually exist. DO it correctly NO FUCKIN SPIKE. Let's see, my dad says a volcanic eruption in asia last year has been causing the weird weather this summer. I was watching this video that carbon emissions have been increasing, it would cause a DECREASE in hurricanes, not an increase. Humans causing is also bullshit, being that the major greenhosue gas is water vapor (mostly clouds). Carbon dioxide makes up for 20%-ish I think, I dunno, and that of that percentile, humans contribute 3% to the total amount of carbon dioxide. On top of that, carbon dioxide is a friendly green house gas if you look at the facts. It encourages plant growth (they grow more fruitfully with twice the concentration of carbon dioxide in the air than currently. The fatcs are all fucked up, cause of stupid al gore, go figure.. PROPAGANDA

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the changes are a result of orbit position on a cycle of 26,000 years which marks extreme changes before the sun passes the center point of our galaxy. Of course we orbit the sun but the sun orbits the galaxy. There are lots of theories for what might happen when the sun passes directly center to the center of the milky way which is a documented fact, a celestial event on 12/21/2012. Physicists believe this will be a time of very strong solar flares that would have dire effects on our planet.

There are so many cycles that are very long range that human experience has not been around long enough to measure or contemplate. The sun's orbit is one of them. And it just so happens that this alignment will be center to the milky way's center which is a black hole. There is a lot of energy and radiation that emits directly in front of this body.

All I know is this warming may be met by a similar period of cooling after the orbit passes this mid point. The precession of the earth will change during this period so if you think that warming is a problem, just wait until the cooling cycle.

Then I suppose we will be back to the gas guzzlers again. (yea!) Al Gore may be eating his words if we all survive this change...

Google 2012 and precession to learn more...

Actually, the whole 2012 thing...happend like 20 years ago...the Mayans were off a couple decades

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Seems a bit strange. Record-setting cold temps and obscene levels of rainfall.

Is global warming on sabbatical, or is there a reasonable explanation to this spring/summer?

This is the kind of horse manure that passes for thinking these days?
One season in one part of the world has no statistical significance.

In fact, global warming WILL result in changes in climatic patterns... meaning that areas that were dry may get wetter, areas that were wet may get drier... cold areas get warmer and warm areas get colder...
- but the overall average MEAN will be trending warmer.

Kvetch all you please, but the fact is that global mean temperatures HAVE risen... and global mean sea temperatures have also risen. ( enough to cause a world wide die-off of coral )

Your argument is as silly as suggesting that the economic crisis can't be very bad because the House and Senate still have full employment...

You ought to bone up on chaos theory in weather modeling, where you will learn how even minor perturbations can lead to enormous phase changes.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
it's been in the 70's in kansas...

...but we had 100s very early in spring...it's been an odd few years

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe it has been just me, but has anyone noticed that the seasons just seem to have changed when they actually occur? I have been noticing this phenomenon for almost 10 years now, at least where I live. Winter never really seems to come until well into January. Spring doesn't really come until May, and the summer doesn't really heat up until August. It seems that September has more hot days than does June. February and March has more snow than December and January. Since we are slaves to our calendar we expect the seasons to occur at a set point in time, when they do not. Late night ramble.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
it's been in the 70's in kansas...

...but we had 100s very early in spring...it's been an odd few years

While in Oregon it was quite a cool spring.

Not to belabor the point but there's little that's odd about contrasting temperature patterns that rove around the globe: Rossby Waves - Wikipedia

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's a bigger concept than pollution. As a percentage of total atmosphere, the carbon dioxide layer is very low. To quote: Carbon dioxide forms approximately 0.04% of the Earth's atmosphere.

When you study change in a system, you don't look at only the relative size of each variable. You look at the CHANGE in the variables.

In other words, the issue isn't what is the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere. The issue is the INCREASE in CO2 in the atmosphere. There are now 100 more ppm (35%) more CO2 in the atmosphere than there was in 1832.

Carbon dioxide in the Earth's atmosphere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
yea I perosnally believe its a complete skam, propaganda in the US anyway. I mean, the ice cap is not melting, and in fact expanding if you look at the facts. Even if it did melt, experts say the sea level would rise a MAXIMUM of 3 INCHES. (HOLY SHIT). Further more, that stupid hockey stick thing al gore shows is also complete shit. He took the average of every century except the last one (where he took the actual number instead). Naturally that would create a spike that doesn't actually exist. DO it correctly NO FUCKIN SPIKE. Let's see, my dad says a volcanic eruption in asia last year has been causing the weird weather this summer. I was watching this video that carbon emissions have been increasing, it would cause a DECREASE in hurricanes, not an increase. Humans causing is also bullshit, being that the major greenhosue gas is water vapor (mostly clouds). Carbon dioxide makes up for 20%-ish I think, I dunno, and that of that percentile, humans contribute 3% to the total amount of carbon dioxide. On top of that, carbon dioxide is a friendly green house gas if you look at the facts. It encourages plant growth (they grow more fruitfully with twice the concentration of carbon dioxide in the air than currently. The fatcs are all fucked up, cause of stupid al gore, go figure.. PROPAGANDA

Wow, Al Gore must be really good to have manipulated THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE WORLD'S CLIMATE SCIENTISTS into believing his "scam." Too bad he wasn't able to manipulate 9 votes on the Supreme Court so that he would have won the election but alas he only got 4. Apparently his powers have grown considerably since then.

Take a look at Google Earth photos of the ice caps and glaciers. You'll see a huge difference from a few years ago. Very old ice shelves in Antarctica have collapsed in the last few years. This isn't a mirage. It is real. It is measurable. Science deals with what is measurable. Not opinions and wild guesses.

Al Gore had nothing (to my knowledge) to do with this graph on CO2 levels. Carbon dioxide in the Earth's atmosphere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
...the Sun is truly the heart of all living and non living atoms in this solar system..

Wow. Not sure how to even respond to something like that. But I'll start with there is no such thing as a "living" atom. (I just glanced over the periodic table of the elements to make sure a new one hadn't been added I wasn't aware of. Nope. No "living" element has been added.)

Secondly, the elements exist throughout the universe. They are not limited to this solar system. Our particular sun is only one of an estimated 70 sextillion (7 x 10^22) stars in the observable universe.
BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Astronomers count the stars
To think that our star is somehow the "heart" of all atoms puts you in direct contradiction with the overwhelming majority of the world's reputable scientists on yet another issue.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere ... gets swallowed up by the oceans.

Apparently not fast enough if its level in the atmosphere is increasing at a rate alarming to THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE WORLD'S CLIMATE SCIENTISTS. I'm going to keep repeating that term until it sinks in with the deniers. It's just amazing that the deniers quote the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere (some correctly, some off by exponential amounts) and various other scientific facts, but then chose to ignore the scientific facts that don't fit their political views. Sorry, Science doesn't work that way.

Also, Logic doesn't work that way. If you are going to quote the experts on some things, then say they don't know what they are talking about when it comes to the things you disagree with, that doesn't work either. They are either the people who know the most about a subject or they are not. They aren't the ones who know most about a subject when you agree with them, but then are no longer the most knowledgeable when you disagree with them.

I'm not attacking people here. I am challenging sloppy thinking and "facts" than come off of cereal boxes or what your friends told you last Saturday night over a few beers.

D_Stanford Dedwillie III

Just Browsing
Media
Wow, Al Gore must be really good to have manipulated THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE WORLD'S CLIMATE SCIENTISTS into believing his "scam." Too bad he wasn't able to manipulate 9 votes on the Supreme Court so that he would have won the election but alas he only got 4. Apparently his powers have grown considerably since then.

Take a look at Google Earth photos of the ice caps and glaciers. You'll see a huge difference from a few years ago. Very old ice shelves in Antarctica have collapsed in the last few years. This isn't a mirage. It is real. It is measurable. Science deals with what is measurable. Not opinions and wild guesses.

Al Gore had nothing (to my knowledge) to do with this graph on CO2 levels. Carbon dioxide in the Earth's atmosphere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I commute between tennessee and kentucky and I don't need google maps or CO2 statistics to know that I've barely used air conditioning this year. It's the coolest summer in forty years.

For every scientist that says the temperature has gone up, there is another one that says it has gone down.

Read it and weep..

500 scientists refute global warming dangers

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I commute between tennessee and kentucky and I don't need google maps or CO2 statistics to know that I've barely used air conditioning this year. It's the coolest summer in forty years.

For every scientist that says the temperature has gone up, there is another one that says it has gone down.

Read it and weep..

500 scientists refute global warming dangers

1) Thanks for being my example. "I don't need me no statistics" is not Science.

2) The weather during your commute would be something a scientist would call "too few observations to be statistically valid."

3) To say that for every scientist who says there is global warming there is another who says there isn't and then quote an article saying 500 scientists don't believe it implies there are only 1,000 scientists, which is not true.

4) The source you quoted is known for its right wing views. Again, that's politics, not science.

5) The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) concludes that increasing greenhouse gas concentrations resulting from human activity such as fossil fuel burning and deforestation are responsible for most of the observed temperature increase since the middle of the 20th century.[1] The IPCC also concludes that variations in natural phenomena such as solar radiation and volcanoes produced most of the warming from pre-industrial times to 1950 and had a small cooling effect afterward.[2][3] These basic conclusions have been endorsed by more than 45 scientific societies and academies of science,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming#cnote_B including all of the national academies of science of the major industrialized countries.[4]

From a non-rightwing source:
Global warming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6) National and international science academies and professional societies have assessed the current scientific opinion, in particular recent global warming. These assessments have largely followed or endorsed the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) position of January 2001 that states:
An increasing body of observations gives a collective picture of a warming world and other changes in the climate system... There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities.[1] Since 2007, no scientific body of national or international standing has maintained a dissenting opinion. [Emphasis added]
Scientific opinion on climate change - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps......

Media
Ignoring the fact that GW is regarded (at least among intelligent folks) as a climactic trend and not a weather phenomenon...:rolleyes:...perhaps you missed the fact that Austin has been in the grips of a record-breaking heat wave for the past six weeks, or that the entire state is currently enjoying the most severe drought on record.

Well now, there's that Texas BBQ I have been hearing so much about.

The weather this year in southern California has been odd. The humidity levels, the extreme heat waves (Africa hot) and in the next day or so the cool weather. (The light blankets have yet to be put away for the summer)

I have a feeling this trend is here to stay.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
While in Oregon it was quite a cool spring.

Not to belabor the point but there's little that's odd about contrasting temperature patterns that rove around the globe: Rossby Waves - Wikipedia

I'd say I agree with you on that. I was merely pointing out that while certain areas...such as China and those other places you referenced, are experiencing hotter than normal temps, other places are experiencing cooler than normal temps...

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well now, there's that Texas BBQ I have been hearing so much about.

The weather this year in southern California has been odd. The humidity levels, the extreme heat waves (Africa hot) and in the next day or so the cool weather. (The light blankets have yet to be put away for the summer)

I have a feeling this trend is here to stay.

The Weather Channel earlier today showed a graphic displaying the record highs and the record coolness. All the cool records were in the Eastern part of the country and all the record highs were in the West. A state or two West of the Mississippi River seemed to be the dividing line.