Great New Musical Finds

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What are some musical acts that you've recently discovered that made you think "What took me so long to find this?"?

Some of mine:

Phideaux - Phideaux Xavier is a prog rock multi-instrumentalist whose music should be right up the ally of fans of Yes, (Peter Gabriel-era) Genesis, and early (i.e. pre-1980) Jethro Tull.

Czerwone Gitary - A Polish band formed in the mid-1960s. Their early stuff is in the vein of standard '60s pop (a la The Beatles), but with cello and violin being not uncommon in many of their songs. My favorite album of theirs (that I've heard--their music is incredibly hard to find) is Rytm Ziemi. It was released in 1974, and it sounds like it's from the '70s; it has a good mix of rock, pop, prog, and even funk.

T2 - Another rather obscure band (though fairly well-known in the prog rock community), this band put out, IMO, one of the best examples heavy prog rock ever. Imagine, if you will, taking the music of Cream, then tack 5 or more minutes onto each song, and make the music all-around heavier and more complex, and, voila! There you have T2's It'll All Work Out in Boomland. Highly recommended for fans of Cream, Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin, and other similar bands.

That's all I'll post now. I tried to avoid going into music too obscure to find.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Whoever that neo-punkish band was on the Tonight Show(I think) earlier this week. The one with the hot-ish blonde who couldn't really sing all that well.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Whoever that neo-punkish band was on the Tonight Show(I think) earlier this week. The one with the hot-ish blonde who couldn't really sing all that well.

Apparently it was Paramore, a teenie punk outfit who's third album "shows positive signs of maturation".

In my old age, some sugary punk with an intriguing blonde at the mic is all I need.

And these sunglasses.............and those bookmarks..............

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Two very, very different ones here:

One I just found out about today! I heard it when I was out and about and wrote down some of the lyrics I could make out to the song so I could Google it. Fortunately I was able to find it from the lyrics I wrote down! So here 'tis:

YouTube - Plushgun - Let Me Kiss You Now (And I'll Fade Away) Music Video

(My only beef with the video is the talking at the end)

Then there's Qntal. This band has been together for a while, but I only found out about them recently, by looking them up after reading about them in a magazine. This video is one of my favorite videos of all time, if not my #1!

YouTube - Qntal "Von Den Elben"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TnV-Kj_32Y

And yes, like I said, these are two VERY different bands! One indie/New Wave, and one kind of a medieval-ish goth. My taste goes all over the place musically, and geographically (world music is one of my favorite genres, although actually, world music contains many different genres!)

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The song "Beggin" by Madcon. It's been a big hit in Europe for a while and now finally released in the states. I can't get enough of this sing.
Here's the video . . .
Madcon Beggin on Vimeo

Nice! Diggin' the '70s vibe...and the quick shot of the girl lapping from the bowl of milk...niiiice.
:biggrin1:

D_Kissimmee Coldsore

Experimental Member
Media

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Here's what I've been listening to lately.

"United States of Eurasia" From Muse's new CD, "The Resistance"
this song is part Queen -- and ends with a full, beautiful version of a Chopin etude which compliments the song

YouTube - Muse United States of Eurasia

Here is Zach Condon's always strange and innovative band Beirut:

YouTube - Beirut - Elephant Gun

YouTube - A Sunday Smile--Beirut

(this guy is so knee-deep into eastern european folk music -- it's a very "old" traditional sound, that he makes new again)

And, one of my favorite bands, Of Montreal...

YouTube - of Montreal - Id Engager

(many of you will recognize this Of Montreal song, which was used in an Outback Steakhouse commercial YouTube - Of Montreal - Wraith Pined to the Mist)