guys with Dreadlocks

lilbear

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sorry but they always look dirty. I don't care for them on either a male or female. I see them all the time in Berkeley and the result is the same. To each his own but not for me.

SyddyKitty

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dreads look pretty nasty to me on just about anyone. Long hair, however, can be quite sexy. Long hair takes much more effort in care - maybe that's why it's tons more sexy to me than dreads.

B_casualtxt

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They CAN look nasty, but it depends on the individual. Someone who just tosses their comb out will probably have a dirtier looking head of locks than someone who pays hundreds of dollars for a salon to do theirs.... and some people do. There are varying amounts of effort one can put into the look, from doing absolutely nothing to hours of work.

I love them, when done correctly (and I don't believe the salon is the inherent correct way; I believe careful consideration of how they fit YOU is the correct way). I have locks, my brother has locks, my uncle used to, my boyfriend does, my aunt does and so does one of my cousins. They don't look right on everyone and not everyone chooses the correct technique or size, etc.

When people say that people with locks "don't want to be taken seriously," it makes me laugh. I think one of the biggest and most common things that it says is that we don't feel the predominant standard of beauty is the only standard. I don't put poisonous chemical straighteners in my hair to emulate a hair type that I will never have, but there will always be someone who says that a black woman who wears any type of natural hairstyle looks like she doesn't want to be taken seriously. Oh, well.

In my personal opinion, many white people's dreads don't look that great, but I think part of that is because of the wax and other crap that they use. That stuff is gross and leaves a residue that will basically never wash out and will attract dust and lint like nothing else. That hair texture also tends to simply clump together rather than curl and twist, so it doesn't look right to me because of how I prefer locks to look. That being said, I've also seen some that look pretty good, and to answer the general question, no they are not a turnoff... many people see it as a turn-on. I quite possibly never would have spoken to my boyfriend if he didn't have them. They were what caught my eye first.

joybunny

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some of the opinions posted make wonder how many actually know how dredlocks are made and maintained. I agree that not everyone looks good with dreds but I disagree that they make a wearer of them dirty and a loser. I guess I am more aware of this issue because I do not use chemicals on my hair and how others reacted when I made the choice. Most were amazed how versitile my styling could be while a few seemed to be bothered by the fact that I would rather have curls instead of straight hair.

Dreadlock styling and maintenance is an involved process and is not just someone being lazy about taking care of their hair. The people I know who have dreads are political and business leaders. In today's economy I think that we need to be less concerned with how someone's hair is styled and more on what they can do to contribute.

Knotty Boy - All natural hair products for dreadlocks