Happiness.

T-Lex

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm a big believer in retail therapy. When I'm feeling down, I'll treat myself to a little something I've been wanting for awhile. Usually nothing extravagant, just some little purchase that I've been putting off for one reason or another.

Another pick-me-up is a scoop of ice cream...don't know why, but it always works for me (Caramel Cappuccino Swirl ice cream from Starbucks is a personal favorite).

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
- Shoot a couple of rounds at the rifle range. Something about the focus that makes me feel better.

- Play with my Dog

- Spar with a boxing partner

- A long telephone conversation with a good friend.

- Eating a great meal

- Sketching and Drawing

I usually need to burn up that feeling of sadness until I can feel better. I can't fool myself into feeling better most times but the above distractions help.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think connecting with the earth in some way is one of the healthiest things we can do, I like a bit of gardening - the planting pretty plants type gardening, not the digging type.

Yes, the digging type is reserved for when I am furious and have to let out all that hostility somehow, but it doesn't last for long because then I see the earthworms and feel bad that I've disrupted their homes and so I start rescuing them!:eek:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you want to hear some really mopey music, have a listen to a group called Black Tape for a Blue Girl. I like their music but I CAN'T listen to them if I'm sad or I'll get even worse! :eek: They have the most depressing music I've ever heard.

I only found one video on YouTube that features Black Tape for a Blue Girl so I'll link to it here...

YouTube - The Scavenger Bride - Anime

I'm a big fan of Sarah McLachlan who sings a version of Gloomy Sunday, this song has an urban legend attached to it that people who listen to it commit suicide, but what is true is that the composer of it did commit suicide, and there's even a film about the song.

Gloomy Sunday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I play the piano for hours. Nobody writes heavy misery like the Russians and Mendelssohn is the best of the bunch. He wrote some fabulous sad pieces.

Its much easier to for me to forget everything when I'm lost in the music.

For the worlds most complete downer, I recommend The Quartet For The End of Time, by Messiaen. The section called The Abyss of The Birds is so sad it actually alters your DNA. The Richard Stoltzman version is the one that is the most mutagenic, I think.

But my recourse is usually to write software. There is nothing like making something big work to soothe the soul of an engineer. When in doubt, make something.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If I'm really out of sorts because of work I put on Sade. There is just something about that "smooth as silk" voice that just diffuses all the stress and bad feelings of the day. I cook a nice steak and run a hot, deep bubble bath, put Sade on loop, light some candles and soak in the tub with a bottle of red...Bliss

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I need to sulk for a while on my own. I can get maudlin as I write in my journal and contemplate the sadness and negativity.

Then I need to get off my ass and reach out to friends and family. I need to talk it out. Sometimes I also call my therapist to help. Often I just wait until my next session (once every two weeks).

Then I need to hang out with friends and enjoy their company doing whatever, laughing with them and having a good time.

Also, I can take a walk to clear my head.

Sometimes going to synagogue or doing some sort of ritual privately can help me snap out of it.

Creating a piece of artwork is good too...

Sometimes I will write down everything that sucks in my life in a big list. Then I'll write down everything for which I'm grateful. It always seems that the gratitude side wins. That helps sometimes, when I need perspective.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'll do one of four things:

Drive out past Duvall and find a secluded road, blast Prince music and pedal it.

Have a really good bottle of Bordeaux and a nice steak.

Watch John Woo's Hard Boiled.

Play with my baby girl.