Hawaii

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
I have only lived on hyonolulu, I was born here, and raised here.
im not hawaiian enough to kickit with the hawaiians.. im only 1/4..
and I dont really look haole... I typically get confused for japanese american.
but I dont know, I have definatley felt excluded from the raindeer games more than once..
maybe im just being hypersensitive.

ruffboy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i grew up in western colorado, wasn't a cowboy or a mormon, guess who was excluded ;-) just sucky that its apparently a human condition everywhere.

mgw2233

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well try being a haole married to a very dark skinned local and walk down the street together on the mainland. The looks you get.

BigBen

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have been to Hawai'i many, many times. Lost count a long time ago. Probably at least 35-40 times? Most for two weeks to over a month. A couple of times for nearly 3 months. Each island is unique. The racism, unfortunately, on the islands is very real. The tourists and those who are in high tourist areas (the resorts, shopping and dining, and doing tourist things) don't really see it. The folks who make a living work hard in so many ways to make the tourists happy and give them a great experience, and part of that is hiding how some of them feel. Not all, but a significant part. The non tourist areas you see a lot of it. The "melting pot" has not melted as well as everyone pretends. A lot of the locals in the out areas are really wonderful souls...but some are so jaded and biased they are trouble and don't like others. Any others. The islands have seen so many influxes, Americans, Europeans (mostly British), South Americans, China, Japan, Philipines...the list goes on and on. The original Hawai'ians are often the nicest people and the most racist. All these folks are "clannish" in their lives and that is how their individual cultures are. Also take in to account the anger and such from social economic differences and successes, historic resentments transplanted to the islands (China and Japan as an example), and the bad influence of drugs and such which has really hurt the society and it just made it worse. The comments about the racism is very real...and a "local", such as DJG or MGW2233 would almost certainly experience this.
Keep in mind that except for tourism and the offshoot industries, (and most of those are relatively low paying jobs), most people who live in Hawai'i have a much lower standard income than most folks on the mainland. Add the drugs and crime, the ethnic gangs, and it is not always a "friendly" place. Especially in some places.
I still do very much like it there, will continue to visit, make a real effort to see the "real" Hawai'i, be nice and friendly to the locals, and probably retire there. But I know there are certain areas of the islands I would be a fool, no matter how good a neighbor I was, to live in. Sadly so.

ruffboy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
my point again, you can say the same exact things in most places in the world. let's quit trying to paint one area, one group of people, as being somehow more adept at bigotry than another.

try being a gay in wyoming
white in the caribbean
black in jefferson parish, louisiana
yankee in the south
rebel in the north
bostonian in utah
jehova's witness anywhere
mixed race couple, anywhere
mexican in texas
hawaiian in idaho
idahoan in hawaii

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
I have been to Hawai'i many, many times. Lost count a long time ago. Probably at least 35-40 times? Most for two weeks to over a month. A couple of times for nearly 3 months. Each island is unique. The racism, unfortunately, on the islands is very real. The tourists and those who are in high tourist areas (the resorts, shopping and dining, and doing tourist things) don't really see it. The folks who make a living work hard in so many ways to make the tourists happy and give them a great experience, and part of that is hiding how some of them feel. Not all, but a significant part. The non tourist areas you see a lot of it. The "melting pot" has not melted as well as everyone pretends. A lot of the locals in the out areas are really wonderful souls...but some are so jaded and biased they are trouble and don't like others. Any others. The islands have seen so many influxes, Americans, Europeans (mostly British), South Americans, China, Japan, Philipines...the list goes on and on. The original Hawai'ians are often the nicest people and the most racist. All these folks are "clannish" in their lives and that is how their individual cultures are. Also take in to account the anger and such from social economic differences and successes, historic resentments transplanted to the islands (China and Japan as an example), and the bad influence of drugs and such which has really hurt the society and it just made it worse. The comments about the racism is very real...and a "local", such as DJG or MGW2233 would almost certainly experience this.
Keep in mind that except for tourism and the offshoot industries, (and most of those are relatively low paying jobs), most people who live in Hawai'i have a much lower standard income than most folks on the mainland. Add the drugs and crime, the ethnic gangs, and it is not always a "friendly" place. Especially in some places.
I still do very much like it there, will continue to visit, make a real effort to see the "real" Hawai'i, be nice and friendly to the locals, and probably retire there. But I know there are certain areas of the islands I would be a fool, no matter how good a neighbor I was, to live in. Sadly so.

beautifully put.

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
my point again, you can say the same exact things in most places in the world. let's quit trying to paint one area, one group of people, as being somehow more adept at bigotry than another.

mixed race couple, anywhere
Me and hubby do get looks when we hug or hold hands.." But, most of the time if we DON'T touch, no one LOOKS at all...........

ruffboy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
u.s. virgin islands and they are the islanders who lived there

and you're right, its as equally ignorant for me to paint that entire region as being more bigoted than anywhere else based on my limited experience with only a few folks.

i don't know, i keep trying to make the point that this is a friggen sick example of the human condition you can find just about everywhere (someone PLEASE give me an example where the 'locals' don't have xenophobia to some degree) but everyone seems to rather want to stay on the bandwagon that hawaii is somehow unique in its experience.

i give up. i must be wrong. we're all fucked and this spot on the planet is one of the worst.

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thats some bullshit..
you should go down to the aloha tower, and start fucking, right in front of everyone.
fuck what they think.
:biggrin1:

I would do something on that wave..." But, HUBBY is too shy!! I tounged him once in public...":biggrin1: He gets scared, because he always gets hard if I kiss him like that out of the blue!!!:eek:

NCLA

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have just one more day here on the Mainland. (In Maryland)
I took a day trip to Boston-Dedham yesterday (Business Trip) Kinda cool.

But anyway, I'll be in Hawaii Tomorrow afternoon. My schedule is as follows from tommorow till July-August.

Saturday - Honolulu
Sunday - Hilo
Monday - Kahului
Tuesday - Kauhlui
Wednesday - Kona
Thursday - Nawiliwili
Friday Morn. - Nawiliwili

NCLA

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow! Feels great to be back in Hawaii! Weather is Great! I really should move out here, I'll give that some thought.

Any women on the Islands looking? I've been single and tucked in for to long now!

Let me know! :147: :kiss: