House plants/gardening

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I tend to focus more on eggs than living bugs.. not that I ignore the living ones.. but I try to prevent reproduction so the problem *stays* solved.

Fingers crossed your pest issue goes away and stays away!

verdad!
I have had a lot of luck battling fungus gnats with simply pushing unused matched head down in the soil. It rare for me to see an adult now.
But, my room is much cooler. We shall see in spring and summer.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Got basil plants and mint in a box in my back porch. Originally planted them to repel paper wasps which we were besieged with. I love fresh basil and cooking with it. Though someone told me to clip the flowers off when they sprout, otherwise the plant starts to wilt.

Love that you just joined today and one of your first posts is to the gardening section! Welcome to the group. Hope you enjoy it. I spend more time in the threads that have nothing to do with penis/sex (on some days).

T

T_Lurch

Love that you just joined today and one of your first posts is to the gardening section! Welcome to the group. Hope you enjoy it. I spend more time in the threads that have nothing to do with penis/sex (on some days).
Me too. I like that stuff as much as the next guy, but talking sex nonstop gets dull after awhile.

T

T_Lurch

I forgot to mention I also planted catnip in a small rectangular box as well. Some would consider that crazy as cats are considered a nuisance by some, but I wanted to attract cats to help combat the Jamaican curly tailed lizards we have here. Some dunderhead imported them and they run wild here. They crap all over window sills and get stuck and die attempting to wiggle through small openings since they are larger than the native anole lizards.

I detest using poisons so I try to use non toxic solutions whenever I can.

It's kinda nice having some edible fresh herbs in your backyard; store bought ones are adequate but they freeze dry so many and they just aren't quite the same.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Oh.... Oh no. I found a mottled leafed phal.

Yes. Yes I did pay $50 for it. (That includes shipping)

#WorthIt

Oops, forgot to mention her name!

Phalaenopsis Celebensis. Flowers are stunning. Foliage is legendary.

upload_2021-2-27_9-9-28.png

upload_2021-2-27_9-11-21.png

WOWZA

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
of intterest
something picked up/believed in many years ago
works,wyen iveapplied
pretty wede/pesticides/chemicals,never needed to be asuse usedll original organic
when insectici

mXB8auPj7PaqiyHvOIv9rU4yzwmVMaw317KGWt6D7ZNiIW07CzVSMoo278UYh1mobeH4v6ICPYIdk5dpPA9chVLaiFgVTL-dfDnykvndzuz6GscMRJtCUJKpgtSajqxnUEJqQQd08Ha2cgB3cboFPa7hKLNBoYR4PB1bsfxgQEGQRGe-rmS3LMI96r-BIQcPD0ANSWPB1KwSuDCQ=s0-d-e1-ft

No-Dig Gardening Tips For Small Farms and Gardens

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Having a wood burning stove not only helps us save money during cold months now, but the ash is being used as micronutrients for the garden! Not all of it, that would be a bit much.. but a decent amount has been tilled into the soil for when we plant soon..

That and chicken doo-doo. I really enjoy the chickens. And the garden does too!

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Got basil plants and mint in a box in my back porch. Originally planted them to repel paper wasps which we were besieged with. I love fresh basil and cooking with it. Though someone told me to clip the flowers off when they sprout, otherwise the plant starts to wilt.
Correct. They are also fly attractants, so who wants that, unless you also lure praying mantises?

Reactions: rbkwp and T_Lurch
T

T_Lurch

Correct. They are also fly attractants, so who wants that, unless you also lure praying mantises?
Definitely don't want flies. Yep, I've been scissoring off the blooms when they appear, which is about every other day.

Also thinking of putting the hoya (wax) plant outside, but under shade. We've been keeping it indoors near a window, but they're supposed to have the most incredible fragrance, but haven't flowered yet.

Got lemongrass in the front yard (wasn't prepared for how quick they grow though!) Which we occasionally use for Asian cooking. Good stuff, and it's supposed to be great for your sinuses if you boil it in a pot with hot water and place a towel over you while standing near it.

T

T_Lurch

Having a wood burning stove not only helps us save money during cold months now, but the ash is being used as micronutrients for the garden! Not all of it, that would be a bit much.. but a decent amount has been tilled into the soil for when we plant soon..

That and chicken doo-doo. I really enjoy the chickens. And the garden does too!
Can you use charcoal ashes from a BBQ grill to fertilize plants? I thought about that myself, but I was afraid of introducing anything toxic in there. I know they add chemicals to the briquets.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Definitely don't want flies. Yep, I've been scissoring off the blooms when they appear, which is about every other day.

Also thinking of putting the hoya (wax) plant outside, but under shade. We've been keeping it indoors near a window, but they're supposed to have the most incredible fragrance, but haven't flowered yet.

Got lemongrass in the front yard (wasn't prepared for how quick they grow though!) Which we occasionally use for Asian cooking. Good stuff, and it's supposed to be great for your sinuses if you boil it in a pot with hot water and place a towel over you while standing near it.
You can pinch, too. That’s how I learned the mantises hang out and snack on flies in blooming mint.
He caught me!

Reactions: T_Lurch

Mittimer

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Can you use charcoal ashes from a BBQ grill to fertilize plants? I thought about that myself, but I was afraid of introducing anything toxic in there. I know they add chemicals to the briquets.
If you're using the natural wood based charcoal, sure. So long as it doesn't have any additives. Wood ash helps make soil less acidic, so you can use it for plants that need a more neutral base. If you are growing things that thrive in acidic soil it may cause some issues though. Be sure to research what each of your plant babies need to survive.

T

T_Lurch

If you're using the natural wood based charcoal, sure. So long as it doesn't have any additives. Wood ash helps make soil less acidic, so you can use it for plants that need a more neutral base. If you are growing things that thrive in acidic soil it may cause some issues though. Be sure to research what each of your plant babies need to survive.
Might have to avoid using this charcoal then. It's the quick starting kind, which is treated with chemicals.

Thank you so much!

Reactions: Mittimer
T

T_Lurch

Lemongrass here which grew from 2.5 feet to double that in a matter of a couple of months. Often used in Vietnamese pho noodle soup.
20210303_084109.jpg

My basil, which has also gotten pretty robust. An easy plant to maintain, even for a neophyte gardener like myself:
20210303_084835.jpg

And the aforementioned pests, the Jamaican curly-tailed lizard. Once the weather gets hot, these little bastards come out in swarms. It's not unusual for me to step outside my door and see 7 or 8 of them at once, scurrying out of the shrubs. I've got nothing against them; but they are an invasive species here. If I could meet whoever brought them to Florida, I'd brain him with a bag of frozen peas.
CURLY-TAIL-LIZARD.jpg