How Do You Flirt?

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Jason -
Clearly you are feeling badly about thatnaked weekend and how it turned out and its okay to feel sorry about yourself and have a pity party. We are attending. While we are at the party we will encourage you and support you and you don't have to run around naked for us for us to like you and get you hooked up. Unless you want to.
That sounds like a dreadful weekend to me and I am sorry it did not go better for you.

Jason -
Clearly you are feeling badly about thatnaked weekend and how it turned out and its okay to feel sorry about yourself and have a pity party. We are attending. While we are at the party we will encourage you and support you and you don't have to run around naked for us for us to like you and get you hooked up. Unless you want to.
That sounds like a dreadful weekend to me and I am sorry it did not go better for you.

No, it's not a pity party and I'm sorry if it came across that way. It's a genuine critical self-assessment and I'm eager to break the habit that creates situations like that. Yeah it hurt but rather than climb into a pot of self-pity like Eli Wallach, I'm fighting back. While I appreciate the sympathy, I'm after answers. Whether they range from fashion advice (admittedly useless at a nude event:biggrin1:) to plastic surgery, I'm open to them.

Actually, on the whole, the weekend was an enormous success for me; possibly the biggest success of my life. I left feeling very empowered in many ways, just not this particular one.

D

deleted87637

Jason, I know this post will probably generate much dissension, but words more true have never been spoken. Gay men are all superficial and shallow. If you aren't good looking or hung like a horse, or in some cases both, nobody gives a shit. Anybody over the age of thirty must pass severe scrutiny even if they are handsome and charming. The gay world is a vapid fucked up mess.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Okay Jason -
My apologies I suggested that it was a pity party and got the wrong end of the stick. My bad. That is good you were able to take away good things from it. Did you get numbers or e-mails of guys that you could be in touch with? Like str82 said, one thing at a time.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
"Gay men are all superficial and shallow "

I am not gay but that was a bit shocking to read. Really? I have met some perfectly nice gay men who are fine, good people. But since I am not gay nor involved in the gay community I cannot personally say that such a statement is true or not. But to say that ALL gay men are such? REALLY?

str82fcuk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Jason, I know this post will probably generate much dissention, but words more true have never been spoken. Gay men are all superficial and shallow. If you aren't good looking or hung like a horse, or in some cases both, nobody gives a shit. Anybody over the age of thirty must pass severe scrutiny even if they are handsome and charming. The gay world is a vapid fucked up mess.

I think you mean dissension. Whatever. :biggrin1:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If i was more confident about my smile. My jaw is too small for my mouth. I have British teeth and four years of braces made it so that I have a lot of cheek showing when I smile. Yeah I need braces again and should probably get veneers or something plus I have quite the overbite.

Just smile with your mouth closed if you feel self conscious - it's mostly in your eyes anyways. :smile:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know where of you speak. From the female side of things here, I try to flirt, and occasionally I succeed, but often I'm just too shy, or figure I'd just be rejected and laughed at (old demons left over from my teenage years, that should have been long gone by now, but there you are...)

I have a hard time making conversation with people. I never really learned to start conversations (being told to go away every time you approach someone will do that to a person..) but if someone starts a conversation with me I can usually respond, or if I'm in a group of people and they're talking about something I can relate to, I can add my part. However, I sometimes have two problems with that last:

1) they will be talking about something that I can't really relate to (a good example of this is that I have a lot of casual friends who like to travel and have been to countries around the world. While I would love to do this as well, I have never had the money to do so. So I really have nothing to add to the conversation unless I want to say "I've always wanted to go to <fill in the blank>". This does not make me uncomfortable, but I just don't have anything to add, so I sit and listen.

2) they will start talking about something controversial in politics or religion, and I have rather unconventional views on these matters that have been met with almost nothing but open hostility if anyone finds out what my views are. Most people I've known have been very conservative, and I'm rather liberal, although I think I'm reasonably so. This has harmed me in dating as well as friendships. I have broken up with several guys for being too conservative politically and/or religiously - after they met my view with hostility, I might add. These matters DO make me uncomfortable in social settings.

On top of that, I have issues with my physical appearance as well. I dream of winning the lottery and spending a fortune on cosmetic procedures and beauty treatments.

str82fcuk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
1) they will be talking about something that I can't really relate to (a good example of this is that I have a lot of casual friends who like to travel and have been to countries around the world. While I would love to do this as well, I have never had the money to do so. So I really have nothing to add to the conversation unless I want to say "I've always wanted to go to <fill in the blank>". This does not make me uncomfortable, but I just don't have anything to add, so I sit and listen.

try asking questions

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, sometimes I can do that - ask questions about the places they've traveled, or make comments like one guy frequently goes to Africa and so we got into a conversation about African music because I've liked that for a long time. So I'm not totally hopeless there. :smile:

Great. One thing at a time. And in the right order.

Very true, and sometimes I forget that. As a perfectionist I tend to shy away from anything that won't result in near certain success so I fail before I try. Growth is about taking risks, going beyond my comfort zone (yes that post holds a lot of meaning for me), and so I have to guard against going back to the perfectionist mentality.

Jason, I know this post will probably generate much dissension, but words more true have never been spoken. Gay men are all superficial and shallow.

I think most people are superficial and shallow. Plenty of straight women I know are looking for Gandhi, Batman, Dr. Phil, Hugh Grant, Rhett Butler, and Stephen Hawking all wrapped in Brad Pitt's body. Any man who doesn't measure-up gets the heave-ho. Straight men are all looking for their mothers in Scarlett Johansson's body. Most gay men are looking for something they're too afraid to find.

Lucky me, I've never liked the pretty boy types anyway. They're off my radar and while they're fun to play with, I don't find they turn me on the way more masculine guys do. I will say that I am lucky in that all the men I've ever been attracted enough to really get into have been anything but superficial or shallow. On the contrary, they're introspective and kind men, not in the least like most gay men. My taste in men is very particular but when I do find ones that I want for more than a quick hook-up, I have never been disappointed in their quality even if they're not available.

Okay Jason -
My apologies I suggested that it was a pity party and got the wrong end of the stick. My bad. That is good you were able to take away good things from it. Did you get numbers or e-mails of guys that you could be in touch with? Like str82 said, one thing at a time.

No, not the wrong end of the stick at all. Please, don't be hard on yourself. I know how it sounded and you came to a perfectly reasonable conclusion. Yes, all attendees have contact information for the other attendees. It's very kind of you to care and I appreciate it.

I have contacted one of the people on that list and I'm awaiting his reply.

Just smile with your mouth closed if you feel self conscious - it's mostly in your eyes anyways. :smile:

My pics are as close as I come to smiling. Judge for yourself if it's adequate :smile:.

I know where of you speak. From the female side of things here, I try to flirt, and occasionally I succeed, but often I'm just too shy, or figure I'd just be rejected and laughed at.

I have a hard time making conversation with people... if I'm in a group of people and they're talking about something I can relate to, I can add my part. However, I sometimes have two problems with that last:

1) they will be talking about something that I can't really relate to...

2) they will start talking about something controversial in politics or religion

On top of that, I have issues with my physical appearance as well. I dream of winning the lottery and spending a fortune on cosmetic procedures and beauty treatments.

That's a common issue though I must say I'm not shy so much as unsure of how to insert myself into a conversation without being pushy. Drawing attention to myself is something I regard as desperate and pushy when in fact most people do it in complete confidence and it doesn't come across as such. That's a demon I'm trying to exterminate using confidence and the assurance that people really don't mind it if you're polite and genuinely interested.

As to the treatments and procedures, if we both win the lottery let's see if we can get a 2-for-1 at the good places :biggrin1:.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I flirt with everyone and I'm brilliant at it, to me good flirting should have a 'is she, isn't she' aspect to it, it should be subtle and the guy shouldn't be quite sure if you are or aren't. Going up to someone and going 'hello big boy' isn't flirting, it's a kid's idea of flirting.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
a sure fire flirting mehod that always works for me is this: look at the person you want to flirt with, capture eye contact, lower your eyes and look away and down, slowly look back up with wide eyes and smile. Then approach the person and chat away. : )
Did your sister teach you that one? :biggrin1::wink:Cause I am flirting impaired and that's the only move I can do even when nervous minus the approach and chat away part of course.

apparently some people like to flirt just for the fun of it WTF?!?!? 'to make people feel good' but how can I tell if someone flirting with me is serious?
I have no clue, when you figure it out tell me.

there's no secret to flirting its just a moment where you feel more inclined to be more friendly with someone. a slight touch on the arm, a kiss on the cheek a more than one second hug. dont try so hard, it comes naturally.
Uhm, that's just it for many of us, male and female flirting does not come naturally. We aren't stupid or social rejects, but we must have missed school the day flirting was taught. :redface: I'm convinced flirting was taught that week I missed in 3rd grade when I had bronchitis. I missed flirting, ratios, and subtraction of fractions with borrowing. :frown1::confused: To this day I suck at all three. :rolleyes:

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The recent joke with the clone of my ex...except with dark hair and not as beautiful (who is!)...is about my Barbie.

There's a 'Everyone's Favourite Eight And A Half Incher' (joke from The Simpsons, it has a link to a pic of Barbie) in one of my blogs. She want mad for it too hehe. So I said I wanna put my barbie in her doll house. Lots of doll related innuendo ensued. Was very funny.

I just tell girls how purdy they are...not an experienced flirt. I do enjoy innuendos though :biggrin1:

I wonder if women just aren't usually better at flirting or at least noticing it as they tend to notice details better? They seem more attuned to body language and expression as well.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love to flirt. We all flirt here on the board all the time or hadnt anyone noticed. It is about making someone else feel good by challenging one's self to make their eyes light up or even better send you a :eek: as a response. In real life you can not take yourself so seriously. Every one you talk to is not going to be your prince charming or should they be. You cant flirt with abandon however. One must respect boundaries but I love seeing even older men (I mean seriously senior) try to fix their collar or stand up a little straighter because you showed them that they matter and have not become invisible. We all need that. We all need to feel we matter.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One must respect boundaries but I love seeing even older men (I mean seriously senior) try to fix their collar or stand up a little straighter because you showed them that they matter and have not become invisible.

I love seeing that too...it just makes my day! :smile: