how long apart can you spend from your SO?

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The longest we were apart was 3 months. I have to be honest, I was on the verge of breaking up with him. So I guess 3 months is my limit.

I do miss TheBoyfriend when he goes on business trips. Every night I keep imagining I hear his car in the driveway and I look outside hopefully before I remember that he's not coming home. It's depressing.

D_Tina_Ciao

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When I had a Significant Other, I couldn't bear to be apart from him, like your friend's wife. Why do you find that so amusing? Have you ever been in love, deeply in love?

D_Maurice Mountlilly

Account Disabled
Media
When I had a Significant Other, I couldn't bear to be apart from him, like your friend's wife. Why do you find that so amusing? Have you ever been in love, deeply in love?

hell yes! i still love her! even though she's married to some one else.
crazy i know,but nothin' is ever normal with me when it comes to stuff like that. but i've never found/been with anyone like her(including my ex-fiance who broke up with me 3yrs ago)

D_Tina_Ciao

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
hell yes! i still love her! even though she's married to some one else.
crazy i know,but nothin' is ever normal with me when it comes to stuff like that. but i've never found/been with anyone like her(including my ex-fiance who broke up with me 3yrs ago)

Why did you find it so funny, then? You seem to understand that longing. Was it a defense mechanism or were you just trying to be casual or funny? :confused:

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My Husband and I have lived and worked together for the last 15 years(we've been together 33 years). We've been together 24/7. I start to miss him after 5 hours.

Can answer on pm if preferrred, but what do you guys do workwise?

D_Harvey Schmeckel

Sexy Member
Media
I had a three week trip last summer; that was three times as long as we'd been apart since meeting. We talked daily and were both so busy that the time flew. But I'll try to limit my trips without him to a single week from now on. We're apart half the time during the week though so several days apart is standard.

alwaysguessing

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When we used to live together, I was perfectly happy to go away for 5 or 6 days on a business trip. As much as I care about her, I really enjoy my time spent alone. However, sadly, she would get quite depressed about it. She wasn't content to be away from me for a single night. Now that she has moved out, we only sleep together 2 or 3 nights per week, which seems perfect. We used to fight a lot when we lived together, but now we get along much better, have better and more frequent sex, and do more enjoyable and meaningful things when we are together. It seems that most couples can't help but get on each other's nerves when they are together 24/7. I think it's healthy to spend time apart, have different interests and activities, and have separate groups of friends.

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media
My Husband and I have lived and worked together for the last 15 years(we've been together 33 years). We've been together 24/7. I start to miss him after 5 hours.

Aw! I want to be like that with TheBF!

I was with my hubby 24/7 for 3 months and it drove me insane! I need my own space and so with my bf we adore the time we have together but also the 'me' time we have as well.

My job is incredibly stressful and i need to be alone to wind down when i get home.

The longest i have gone without seeing him was 5 days when he was ill at home and i was ill at my own house and i missed him lots.......but that is partly what keeps us how we are.

When i go to NY in November he can't come with me due to work commitments so i'll not see him for 11 days!:eek:

Still,i will have the hubby to see in NY hehe!!

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was with my hubby 24/7 for 3 months and it drove me insane! I need my own space and so with my bf we adore the time we have together but also the 'me' time we have as well.

My job is incredibly stressful and i need to be alone to wind down when i get home.

The longest i have gone without seeing him was 5 days when he was ill at home and i was ill at my own house and i missed him lots.......but that is partly what keeps us how we are.

When i go to NY in November he can't come with me due to work commitments so i'll not see him for 11 days!:eek:

Still,i will have the hubby to see in NY hehe!!

I don't think it would drive me insane. I think I'd like it.

Of course being apart might make me appreciate him more. It could go either way.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Me and my SO are pretty adaptable. Up until around 5 years ago I was away from home about 3 nights a week on business on average. For the last 5 years we lived in Spain and ran a business together. This meant us being together day and night. We recently returned to the UK and are both working for different employers again and are getting along fine.

In essence we have been together 23 years and whatever life throws at us we deal with jointly. You do what you need to and enjoy your time together.

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I am deeply in love but that doesn't mean that I "have" to be around her 24/7. I think there's something beyond love which I would call neediness which is not very healthy and contributes to fucked-up relationships. I've seen this mostly in women where they can't function without a man. My 2nd g/f in high school would call me constantly to make sure I wasn't with any other girl (or guy). I certainly wouldn't want a SO who is neurotically needy. I'd feel I was being eaten alive. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am deeply in love but that doesn't mean that I "have" to be around her 24/7. I think there's something beyond love which I would call neediness which is not very healthy and contributes to unhealthy relationships. I've seen this mostly in women where they can't function without a man. I certainly wouldn't want a SO who is neurotically needy. I'd feel I was being eaten alive. :biggrin1:

I hear what you're saying about neediness, and that's bad. I agree with that.

I think I'd like being around TheBF 24/7 because we laugh a lot and we just enjoy being around each other. That's not neediness. It's just fun.

tamuning

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
my buddies wife acts like she'll die if he goes away for a day/overnight.
it cracks me up.my question is how long apart can you spend from your own SO?

When I was married 3 weeks just about ended the relationship. Now single and no SO right now, but I miss my fuck buds if I'm away more than a couple of days.

vlls

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

being in love doesn't necessarily translate to being pathologically attached to someone
love can be of many different characteristics and of different qualities