HPV?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by DoctorZZZ, Jan 27, 2009.

1. DoctorZZZ

DoctorZZZ Member

Sorry for another post, but this somewhat explains another of my questions. In another thread where I asked about birth control, I mentioned that I was taking my gf to the ob/gyn today. So we went, everything went fine, except when it came for the doctor to give her the pills or a prescription, she only would let her have a 1 month supply. Why? Well it seems that a while ago, over a year, she tested positive for hpv. And the doctor explained that she hadn't been back since she was tested positive and that she would only give her more/a prescription if she came in next week for a pap, since she is still on her period now.

I did not know any of this, but my gf said she intended me to find out this way as she was far too embarrassed to tell me straight out. Which I understand when looking at our relationship. I'm going to marry this girl, we both know this. And one of her main "problems" is a fear of losing me. We dont live together so I dont see her everyday and she will often get jealous, and get thoughts of me doing "things". Which I expect since her past relationships were loveless and leaded to infidelity by her partner. So I can accept this, and she is getting better the longer I'm with her. Infact she tested neg a few times when she was seeing one of these guys and then tested postitive while still seeing him, so thats just great. I already hate the the past guys she's been with, nearly all of them treated her poorly or cheated on her. And now this, so there ya go...

So obviously I was/am still a bit upset that she didn't tell me, but I can move past that. What I am very upset about is that she never went back, she tested positive for a low risk hpv over a year ago. Now I am worried about her health and need some advice. I've done a lot of research online about hpv and it seems like her body will get rid of it on its own, all the online articles say under 2 years. So it may be gone anyways. Either way I am worried still. This has caused a few problems/things that I've noticed.

In another thread I asked about why she didn't want to recieve oral even though she came from it. Well now I know. I flat out asked her and she said that yes, hpv was the reason she wouldn't let me. She also mentioned cervical cancer on more than one occasion and even gave me this worried look when a comercial about cervical cancer came ont he radio a few days ago.

She is very upset over this even though I am trying to tell her that everythng's fine, which it is. This doesn't really change anything for me. I guess I should be concerned with contracting it, but we've had sex numerous times, used condoms each time, but the articles online say that it can still be transmitted easily. I guess I'll need to get tested. But I'm not that worried if I indeed contracted it.

Sorry for such a ridiculously long thread, but I am very worried about this. I just want some other people's opinions on the subject, hpv. Perhaps some people who had/have it, since I know you're mostly all sexually active and 20 million people in the US have hpv.

Also, we are going back next week, monday, so i'll post anything that happens.

#1 DoctorZZZ, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. StraightCock4Her

StraightCock4Her New Member

way too long didnt read

hpv is bad

3. D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat Account Disabled

She mentioned cervical cancer? As in "I have cervical cancer" or "HPV causes cervical cancer"?

It can be a nasty thing but if she has it, you probably already have it, and if you're going to spend the rest of your lives together and loyally, then nothing really to worry about if she has a strain that won't give her trouble

HPV is super popular. My dad got it from one woman before meeting my mom and she was a virgin until him. She got HPV and had to get something removed from her cervix many years later.

Your girlfriend is just going to have to get a PAP test done every year (as every woman should!) and I hope they all come back alright!

She does need to grow a bit more of a backbone though and be able to come right up to you and say something like "I tested positive for HPV". It's not a big deal, but it is, because she knew and didn't tell you. There's an issue there somewhere and I hate to point it out right here right now but she has to make some smarter decisions about what to tell you and what not to tell you.

May you help her develop some self-confidence and the ability to trust again.

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Doc, I just have to echo was super_crayon said - the chances of this being a super big deal for you guys is slim. Yes, HPV is bad and can cause problems but they are not insurmountable if dealt with in a timely manner. If the two of you do end up staying together then you really have no major issues other than for both of you to make sure she gets regular health checks and PAP tests. If you don't end up staying together (I don't wish that for you, I'm just covering all angles) you'll need to be honest with any subsequent partners that you have been exposed to HPV and act accordingly.

I also agree that she's been a bit silly not telling you and making such a big deal of this. It is so common - it says nothing about her at all that she's been exposed to HPV. As for the rolling sad eyes at you when a cervical cancer awareness ad comes on, well that's just drama queening. The chances at her age of her having anything wrong at all or the HPV she has been exposed to having had time to cause a serious issue are SO minute. If she is worried enough about it that she is going to make you worry then she needs to get up off her ass and get that PAP test done. The doctor has done completely the right thing in compelling her to come back for the smear - completely the right thing.

5. DoctorZZZ

DoctorZZZ Member

Both of you echoed what I already feel. The doctor told her she needs to come in every 3 months, and since its free for her, well I'm just gonna drag her. I am not really worried if I contracted it. And we will be together the rest of our lives, which is probably why I dont care. I am just very worried about her health. I'm taking her monday, so I'll know more then. One thing that sort of bothered me was that when she contracted it she got genital warts, which she took care of, but will that happen to me? Google didn't really help.

Part of why I think she was so hesitant to tell me was that, we have always used condoms, but the past guys she's been with didn't always. One, the one who gave it to her, didn't want to wear them since he had a very small penis, and she can never say no. That has always been a problem for her, at work if her friends says to do something she does it, even if ti means being dragged to the grocery store with them and making me wait if I'm picking her up. She just cant stand up for herself. If she does anything with me, she'll say sorry. For what... doing nothing. Even if its my fault she'll apologize. I just hate thinking about the past guys she's been with treating her like that. And I feel worse that she says she never really enjoyed having sex with them. So why did you? That is why I feel sort of odd. I am younger than her, and have had way less sexual experience than she has. So that may also play into what I feel, yet I feel more sexually mature than she is.

6. StraightCock4Her

1. She can't say no therefore she's a tool.

2. Yea, I would be expecting warts any day now ;)

Actually, I think how it works is that there are many strains of the virus which evolved seperately over time. Each strain effects different skin types in minorly different ways but if I were to venture a guess I'd say that if it has been known to give warts then there's probably well over a 70% chance that it would give anyone else warts too.

I told you before, the tests dont really tell you when it's out of her system. So, I would wait at least 3 years or more after she contracted it to not wear a condom since it is supposed to leave the system in around 2 years time. That's what I would do, anyhow. Do some more research, google is a tool.

Sorry bro

7. B_doc23cm

B_doc23cm New Member

HPV is a very common virus, that's why we assume everyone is at risk of catching it. Hence, cervical screening and now HPV vaccines. Sounds like you are being very sensible and supportive of your girlfriend. Make sure she goes for her follow-up appointments and reassure her she has nothing to feel guilty about. And that it's always OK for her to say no!

8. D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

For as long as it took to train her to be so submissive all the time, it only takes twice as long to get that habbit out of her. Autonomy is a hard thing to develop but it sounds like she has a hope in getting it back while she's with you. I'm glad you're not taking advantage of her - she would be an easy target for some jerks.

Good luck with the gyno visits, and yeah, what straightcock said about you getting warts too... It could happen, but you'll just have to wait and see. The good thing about HPV warts is that they don't sound painful.

9. DoctorZZZ

DoctorZZZ Member

sorry to dig up this thread, but I guess its been on my mind recently.

Well, as of now, no warts for me. I have penetrated her without a condom, for a minute or so, but haven't actually made love without one. But oral sex is still not allowed. I would like to do it, but she doesn't want me to, and I'll respect her and not push it on her. But I'd still like to know this... Is it "dangerous" or "risky" for me to perform oral sex on her if she is low risk hpv+? browsing online a lot and nothing, just a lot about high risk and oral cancer. I posted on a medical site yesterday devoted to STIs, I'll post a response if I get one.

Gyno visit was very good, the abnormal cells are much smaller this time, and teh doctor was very happy with that, but she is still positive for low risk hpv. Birth control is going nicely, no real symptoms, although she is drier since she started, but we used lube before BC anyways. And libido is as high as ever, maybe higher. She also got a yeast infection which her doctor said was very normal when first starting BC, monostat-->fixed.

She did have a small issue that freaked us both out. While having sex we noticed some blood, so we assumed it was from some spotting, which is normal for her BC. But the next day she urinated blood. Her aunt is a doctor and her diagnosis was that it from diet. Too much soda or carbonated drinks. She says, ohhh thats why, lots of "soda". More like going through 2 cases of sapporo in 3 days after celebrating new jobs for both of us. No soda/beer for a few days and she was fine.

10. D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

I've heard of HPV being spread to the mouth but I've never seen it for real - just rumours. Did they give you a timeline for how much longer she'll have those abnormal cells? It would be great to have no risk when you're going down on her!

Thanks for posting that about soda and carbonated drinks making you pee blood! Never heard of that before but interesting to know.

11. B_doc23cm

B_doc23cm New Member

I think oral transmission is rare, but there have been cases of oral cancer linked to HPV. As long as you stick with the advice you are getting and keep using condoms for now, then it should be a matter of time until things clear up.

12. B_nuketully

B_nuketully New Member

There are many many types of HPV. It's important to know which type it is.

I actually had it for several months after a threesome with a girl and her friend (who didn't know she had it)

After a couple months my symptoms had gone away but I assumed I still had it. I got tested a couple years later when I had broken up with her and was looking at other relationships.

I tested negative.

I started dating another girl for about 3 years and she got tested regularly, never had any signs of it. I also contacted the 2 girls I had the threesome with...they also now show no signs. We're all lucky.

Some strands of HPV can lead to cervical cancer, some never go away, a couple do, some don't cause symptoms, some cause really really bad warts.

Have her keep getting tested. IMPORTANT for both of you.

13. Happy2BeHere

Happy2BeHere New Member

(Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional! Your best bet is to ask your family doctor about this sort of thing!) Relax! "Low risk" means she contracted a strain that isn't typically linked to cervical cancer. There's over 100 known strains; some cause warts, some are connected to cervical cancer and some do absolutely nothing. Besides that, cervical cancer takes a few years to develop. Routine pap smears will let both of you know what's happening, and if further action needs to be taken.

You sound like a true gentleman. Keep it up!

14. DoctorZZZ

DoctorZZZ Member

thanks for the responses.

To Nuketully, how did you get tested. As far as I know there is no male test for hpv. I'm assuming your a man since your 100% straight and your talking about a woman.

Happy2behere, she has a hpv that caused warts. that is why she is hesitant to let me do "things". We always use a condom, even with birth control. Just for extra assurance. were both in college and pregnancy isnt on our minds at this point.

she has had hpv for quite some time, and the doctor was happy that the abnormal cells are smaller. So hopefully she will be cleared up soon.

15. StraightCock4Her

There's no male test

16. DoctorZZZ

DoctorZZZ Member

No FDA approved, but maybe a back alley hpv tester somewhere, IDK.

"No clear health benefit." yeah for the male. What about his partner. Thats a HUGE health benefit for any woman who might have prevented contracting a high risk HPV which can cause CANCER. Are you kidding...

#16 DoctorZZZ, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  17. oacliffbuddy

oacliffbuddy New Member

I'm pretty amazed at the lack of clear info in this thread on something that is so important and yet never talked about openly.....
    1. HPV is viral and never leaves the body. It can be suppressed by a healthy immune system, but it NEVER leaves the body. If your immune system becomes compromised for any reason, it's conceivable the virus can surface and manifest itself in the manner it is known for; genital or anal warts.
    2. There is no test to determine the presence of HPV.
    3. There is no known cure for the various strains of HPV at this time.
    4. HPV causes genital or anal warts in both male and female.
    5. If left untreated in women, it can possibly lead to cervical cancer.
    6. The "vaccine" talked about or advertised on TV by the pharmaceutical industy is preventive if you do not already have HPV. If you already have HPV the vaccine is useless.
    7. The "vaccine" as advertised on TV by the pharmaceutical industy is somewhat misleading as it is touted as the "vaccine that can prevent cervical cancer in women". While ultimately years down the road that may be true, it's more palitable to say that than to say it what it really does which is "to prevent genital warts in women which, if left untreated, can possibly lead to cervical cancer".
      "Genital warts" sounds dirty so they refer to it as "the vaccine to prevent cervical cancer" as women will most likely respond to that than to something to refers to "genital warts", seek out their advertised product thus generating hundreds of millions in revenue for the pharmaceutical industry (It's always about the money).
    8. The "vaccine" is useless in the male population.
    9. You can have HPV and not show symptoms and thus not know it.
    10. Not knowing you have HPV doesn't mean you can't spread it to male or female partners. In reality you can pass it (and likely are) to every partner you bed down with. Since it takes time to manifest itself after exposure, it's not usually traced back to the donor (unless there have been relatively few donor events).
    11. Genital warts will manifest itself on the penis, vagina, anus or anal canal depending on point of contact.
    12. HPV/Genital warts is transfered through skin to skin contact via the sloughing off of skin cells during sex. You can pass or contract HPV via vaginal or anal sex at the point of skin to skin contact.
    13. Wearing condoms, while good, will not fully protect you from exposure as the base of the penis, where it can come into contact with infected areas, vaginal or anal, can either receive or desiminate the virus. However, it's still a good preventative measure for that an other STD's.
    14. There are several different strains of HPV.
    15. Treatment can involve cryo-therepy (freezing with nitrogen), or topical acidic applications (podophilyn, etc)
    16. While treatment can beat HPV symtpoms into submission, again, as it is viral in nature; it never leaves the body. There is no cure at this time. No longer seeing it on your person does not mean you are cured. You can still pass it to the next unsuspecting individual.
    Someday there will be a cure so sex with care!

18. StraightDave

StraightDave New Member

Albums:
    Virgins should read this thread. It'll make em feel better about everything they're missing out on.

Nasty stuff.

19. bcn1014

bcn1014 New Member

Albums:
    I contracted HPV from an ex boyfriend...I have dated 2 people since then, I married the 2nd one, and I told both of them before we ever had sex...they both chose to have sex with me anyway and decided they loved me enough to get past it...I understand that HPV is not usually serious, but she still should have told you...she still gave you a disease you might possibly have for the rest of your life and if you are ever with another woman in your lifetime there is the possibility of giving it to them...and also in some cases it has now been linked to cases of prostate cancer in guys and to throat cancer in both males and females...and if you 2 are planning on getting married and truly love each other she should trust you enough to tell you these things...that being said, HPV is very common, 80% of women get it in their lifetime and 50% of women have it at any given time...although it cannot be cured, it can go away on it's own, thus the percentages going from 80% to 50%...there are over 100 strains of the virus and about 4 of those are most common, they are the ones the vaccine Gaardisil protects aginst...some of these cause cervical and other cancers, some cause genital warts, some cause both, and some cause no problems at all...if they have caused her warts in the past it is possible they may return and that you may get them too...it lessens the possibility you will contract it if you wear condoms, but it does not completely prevent it...sometimes once warts are removed they will never come back, but sometimes they come back and repeatedly have to be removed or managed with special creams...high risk HPV usually causes cancer cells which can later turn into caner...low risk does not lower risk for contracting the disease, it just means she has a lower risk of cervical cancer and high risk does not make you more likely to get it...mine was high risk and I did get precancerous cells in my cervix and they had be removed using kryosurgery(freezing of the cells) and I have had no problems since...all of my pap smears have been negative for it since then so as far as I know mine is gone now...I never had warts...your girlfriend should go to the doctor because even if it is low risk there is still that possibility that she gets cancer cells that have to be removed...if she gets precancerous cells they need to find them and remove them before they become actual cancer, if she waits too long this will happen and can spread or result in her having a hysterectomy and never being able to have children and being onhormone supplements the rest of her life...or death if it is not discovered in time...and about th oral sex thing, HPV is usually spread through sexual intercourse, but it is possible to spread orally too...if you are already having sex then you probably already have it anyway so refraining from oral sex isn't going to keep you from getting the disease...and it doesn't matter whether you are actually having sex without a condom or just inserting for a minute and then putting on a condom before you finish, you have still come in contact with an infected area and bodily fluids...and there is no way to test for HPV in men, which is part of the reason it is being spread to so many women...all of the info I have given is from doctors, pamphlets from doctors, and research I have done when I was diagnosed with it, hopefully it helps...and remember, there is a chance your girlfriend could go to the doctor and she could have a normal pap and it may not be a problem anymore, such as mine

20. dolfette

Gold Member

look up some studies on the link between hpv and mouth & anal cancers.

nowhere near as high as the cervical cancer risk though.

oh, and not all strains of hpv cause cancer or proper warts.

Draft saved Draft deleted