I'm hickboy.

biguy2738

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Oh dear! It's dribbling again. I'm such a slob. Perhaps you can send 30% of yourself over to fix this.:smile:

LMAO! I'm a package deal so either the 70% joins in the fun (let's hope it's not a 'phobe :biggrin1: ) or else sorry to say but deals off! :biggrin1:

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
LMAO! I'm a package deal so either the 70% joins in the fun (let's hope it's not a 'phobe :biggrin1: ) or else sorry to say but deals off! :biggrin1:
Okay--I'm in.

Oh wait--it seems that you're in:smile: . My but that does feel good--

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Don't you mean Mary?

*Images from "There's Something About Mary" flash through my mind

from the words, 'fly me'...very, very painful images * :eek:

No, I mean Mandy - Braniff Airlines campaign from a long while back.

Some commentary on it's effect then, and more recently.

"....Braniff hardly underplayed the innuendo: 'does your wife know you're flying with us?’ read one of the airline’s ads. And where Braniff led, the others followed, sending hemlines shimmying up nylon-clad legs and fixing permanent smiles across the friendly skies. The 70s and 80s gradually saw the blatant sexism seep out of the stewardesses’ role, but the the ‘I’m Mandy, fly me’ stereotype was hard to completely erase from the mind, and the idealised stewardess is gradually creeping back into currency. Pucci is freshly fashionable, and new, design-led airline image overhauls are once again placing the emphasis on fashion."

biguy2738

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
No, I mean Mandy - Braniff Airlines campaign from a long while back.

Some commentary on it's effect then, and more recently.

"....Braniff hardly underplayed the innuendo: 'does your wife know you're flying with us?’ read one of the airline’s ads. And where Braniff led, the others followed, sending hemlines shimmying up nylon-clad legs and fixing permanent smiles across the friendly skies. The 70s and 80s gradually saw the blatant sexism seep out of the stewardesses’ role, but the the ‘I’m Mandy, fly me’ stereotype was hard to completely erase from the mind, and the idealised stewardess is gradually creeping back into currency. Pucci is freshly fashionable, and new, design-led airline image overhauls are once again placing the emphasis on fashion."

Thanks for the explanation - Swiss Air certainly crashed in the wall behind me on that one.

So are you trying to imply that I'm sexist or a stewardess? :smile: - Whatever floats your boat, just as long as I'm part of the fantasy! :biggrin1:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks for the explanation - Swiss Air certainly crashed in the wall behind me on that one.

So are you trying to imply that I'm sexist or a stewardess? :smile: - Whatever floats your boat, just as long as I'm part of the fantasy! :biggrin1:

Neither, it was simply my first thought when I saw "I'm Hickboy".:smile:

Braniff weren't alone in the "Fly Me...." and "Air Strip" campaigns. I seem to vaguely recall that the practice was cited in a sexual harrassment charge by a cabin crew member who suffered it, or the perpetrator I don't recall which. It could be just an urban myth, in either case, at the time I was too young to really understand the connotation. Of course, with hindsight it's clear they were courting such actions.

Good or bad, Braniff were nothing if not innovative...

Flight attendant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Media Orchard, by the Idea Grove

My work here is done.:biggrin1:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But what fine work, dong.
Irreplacable, as in the old days.:cool:

I liked and thus remember Braniff simply because of the colours and of course those 'Jellybean' 707s and 747s were easily spotted overhead.:smile:

The world seemed so much bigger, more mysterious and thus interesting back then. These days it seems to becoming increasingly and depressingly homogenised. :rolleyes: